Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! ADVICE RE STUPID TEACHER!

• 15-06-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

so glad to be finished school! can't wait til exams are over! but i'm so thick with a teacher in my school! she joined this year to cover a newly wed teacher and she's useless! can't teac t save her life and then when we hand up work she doesn't give it back! and if she does its months later with only a date written at the end of it! she teaches irish at honours level which is a subject where ya need a teacher to go through it and correct the grammer and stuff! i gave her work when we returned after holloween along with the rest of my class! she gave everyones work back nar 6 of us a month later! i went up to her everyday for the next few month looking for my work as did the other 5! she ended up giving my copy back the evening before my mock on feb 10th! two girls never got back the work! i decided after that incident to no longer hand up work as did a few others but the majority continued giving up work and she gave stupid excuses everyday lik " its in my car but ny boyfriend has it today" or "i'm between two houses at the moment girls and i had the keys for my parents house but it was locked from the inside so i couldn't get in to get yer work". She spent a whole year at this and she eventually admitted to
    losing all the work belonging to people! during the last week of school i finally blew my top at her as she arranged to meet my class during block study and left us wandering the school for a class looking for her! waste of time! the next day she gave a false excuse again by saying ahe was supervising a summer test which we knew was untrue because we checked every room! and a teacher told us she had gone home! i pulled her up on it and she promised to have everyones work for class the next day but when she didi she left at least 8 girls without the work they'd handed up months ago! she gave back work to one of those 8 this morning 10 mins before the start of paper 2 irish! what she haned back was a mean cumarsaide essay dated by the student on the 12 mar! i found out that a girls parents went in to complain last week and the teacher denied having ever lost work! i can't believe that someone would have the gall to lie right to the face of a parent esp since its a teacher whos supposed to be setting an example! we've decided that for the sake of the fifth years she is about to start teaching that we will take action against her but we're unsure what to do! girls were in tears beforew the exam today due to her not covering the course properly and it was the same yesterday as she only ever didi one essay and corrected it and it was on lack of leadership everyone panicked that it mightn't come up and we feel responsible to do something about it as we dont want others to go through the same thing! any advice as to how to proceed??????????????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm finding that really difficult to read, but in answer to the thread title, talk to your Principal (in a slightly more organised fashion than your post).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Complain, go to the principal, or even the board of management, if a teacher has admitted to this, then you need to get it sorted.

I had a similar situation, though not as drastic, with an Accounting teacher, luckily enough I had an uncle who is an accountant to help, but my parents are going to complain, as my younger brother had only 60% of the business course done in 3 years.

Complain, and make sure you bring evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

First step would maybe be to have every student ( and parents too if you can) write an evaluation on her performance ( necessary to put pros too if there are any!) with recommendations of how this should be resolved ( ie kick her sorry ass out)
    she is a disgrace and should be reprimanded. hand a copy of this into the principal ( elect someone to represent, even a parent would be best) if the school does nothing take it a step further.
    this is the calmest and most proffessional approach i can see working
    best of luck and i am so sorry this happened!
    had a irish teacher like that in 5th year and 6th years had her kicked out in 2 weeks(maybe the same one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I couldn't read that. Was it your English teacher per chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

unknown 18 wrote: »
    so glad to be finished school! can't wait til exams are over! but i'm so thick with a teacher in my school! she joined this year to cover a newly wed teacher and she's useless! can't teac t save her life and then when we hand up work she doesn't give it back! and if she does its months later with only a date written at the end of it! she teaches irish at honours level which is a subject where ya need a teacher to go through it and correct the grammer and stuff! i gave her work when we returned after holloween along with the rest of my class! she gave everyones work back nar 6 of us a month later! i went up to her everyday for the next few month looking for my work as did the other 5! she ended up giving my copy back the evening before my mock on feb 10th! two girls never got back the work! i decided after that incident to no longer hand up work as did a few others but the majority continued giving up work and she gave stupid excuses everyday lik " its in my car but ny boyfriend has it today" or "i'm between two houses at the moment girls and i had the keys for my parents house but it was locked from the inside so i couldn't get in to get yer work". She spent a whole year at this and she eventually admitted to
    losing all the work belonging to people! during the last week of school i finally blew my top at her as she arranged to meet my class during block study and left us wandering the school for a class looking for her! waste of time! the next day she gave a false excuse again by saying ahe was supervising a summer test which we knew was untrue because we checked every room! and a teacher told us she had gone home! i pulled her up on it and she promised to have everyones work for class the next day but when she didi she left at least 8 girls without the work they'd handed up months ago! she gave back work to one of those 8 this morning 10 mins before the start of paper 2 irish! what she haned back was a mean cumarsaide essay dated by the student on the 12 mar! i found out that a girls parents went in to complain last week and the teacher denied having ever lost work! i can't believe that someone would have the gall to lie right to the face of a parent esp since its a teacher whos supposed to be setting an example! we've decided that for the sake of the fifth years she is about to start teaching that we will take action against her but we're unsure what to do! girls were in tears beforew the exam today due to her not covering the course properly and it was the same yesterday as she only ever didi one essay and corrected it and it was on lack of leadership everyone panicked that it mightn't come up and we feel responsible to do something about it as we dont want others to go through the same thing! any advice as to how to proceed??????????????

I'm a teacher and work very hard. I understand how frustrating it is (even as a teacher) to see other colleagues who do SFA and get all the praise from the principal! I'd advise you to write down, in bullet points, the main things that you are annoyed by and go to your principal. Stay calm though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

You must realize that question marks and exclamation points are not the only forms of punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

GAH! wall of text!

Did you go to your principal during the year? It may look a bit weird if you all start to complain after you've finished.

Also I hope you didn't just grumble all year and at least tried to take some steps to help the situation. Write to the principal and also the board of management if you feel really strongly about it, because from experience I know that sometimes principals don't really help much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

tl;dr

ttylbbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

We all experience this.Well i have, just do it yourself . trust me you'll be better of and feel much the better when the results come out in August and you can tall the teacher to go . herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If you have a problem with a teacher take it to your principal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

I agree about going to your principal, and if they do nothing about it, go to a higher authority. That's just unacceptable - they're getting paid well to do a job they're not doing right at all, and they need to be spoken to (or given a kick up the arse) about it. I know how you feel because I had similar type teachers, but never did anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Formal written letters to the principal and Board of Management are a good idea. Im not being a smart-arse here but you should get someone whos good at writing letters to lay it out, a parent who works in an office maybe?
    Im not trying to insult your english there, im terrible at english myself, but the letters need to be formal and well-written to be taken seriously.
    Fair play for wanting to get it sorted for the sake of other students, most people whinge and moan about their teachers but dont give a toss once they're finished the L.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

unknown 18 wrote: »
    any advice as to how to proceed?

First of all: More paragraphs, less exclamation marks plzkthx.

Secondly, I had a situation comparable to this in 3rd year. We had a substitute science teacher who was in her mid 30s and pretty much insane. Flipped out over the slightest and most insignificant thing, usually beyond our control, and then gave us ridiculous amounts of lines due for the next day. (YOUR COPY IS DOG-EARED, 1,000 LINES FOR YOU! - this actually happened, and was the straw that broke the camel's back.) We managed to get rid of her by using the method below. We still have a pretty unstable English teacher however he's palsy with the deputy head and is a full time teacher, not a sub, and furthermore most people just couldn't be bothered with him.

Anyway...

You need to get a petition going with the students. Get the signature of everyone who thinks she's not doing her job properly etc, make sure there's a nice big list of names on it (making sure it says exactly what you're petitioning at the top of the list) and then get a good few of you to approach the principle, followed up that evening by plenty of phone calls from disgruntled parents. The principle will get the message, or if she's anything like mine, will get "sick of listening to yis" and fire her ass, or at least get her to cop on. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unfortunately, f**k all will be done about it, I'd say. This will be because when you complain, it'll be so near the LC, that the principal will assume you're doing so due to you getting a hard paper.

In all fairness, you should have complained earlier, so that something might have been done about it.

In saying that, if all of you went together, it may show the principal that it's not just "one having a bad exam", but that the entire class had a problem with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Punctuation :(

If you've taken your exams and you're finished with her, why do you care? She probably wont be there next year because she sounds like it's her first year teaching. Talk to the principal though, seems like enough common sense.

ETA I feel for you though, had a bad French teacher in 3rd year who told me that all of my French was incorrect, day in day out, she got the surprise of her life when the inspector came in and embarrassed her for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Our Irish teacher was the same. Luckily, I never have to see him ever again. No point complaining, teachers are untouchable

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Had an English teacher like that. Constantly lost students work (always was the handwritten work) or handed it back months later with tea-stains. She always gets the A Grade classes to teach, and these students always get good results from studying themselves and taking grinds, therefore she is deemed as a good teacher. Annoying :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I had a history teacher in 3rd year who was the same. She never taught us, and whenever we did work for her, she either forgot to correct it/lost it/said we were all grand and no need to give it back.

She was also our CSPE teacher and lost our rough copies weeks before the actual thing was due, we all had to do it again and then re-write that again into our official booklet.

We all made complaints to our parents, and one girl made an appointment with the principal, the teacher and her parents. The teacher denied all of it.

Shes still in the school, but Im not sure what she does now. I think ive seen her like 3 times this year, so Im guessing shes a sub for whenever a teacher is out for a week or 2.

The only reason she wasnt fired was because of her contract or something, but since yours is a sub her ass should be out of that place soon. Theres so many young graduates who need a good job and she has one and is making a balls of it!

Advertisement