Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remmy 700 action

Options
  • 15-06-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been thinking long and hard about getting a custom rifle done for some long range shooting. But i'm not gonna start talking about caliber as there is plenty of threads here to learn from!!

Question is I currently have a CZ 527 in .223 which I will be getting rid of to make way for the new rifle which may be a swift or a .204 or something similar!
    If i was to trade in my .223 for a .223 remmy 700 could I then go and change the caliber when i'm getting a new barrel or would i need a new action??

Reason why i'm asking this is it would make changing the guns easier as it was the same caliber(from a .223 to a .223) and I could wait till later to make my final decision on the caliber i want to build??

So i'm just wondering would a remmy 700 action in .223 be able to be converted to a different caliber??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

patsat wrote: »
    Ok I've been thinking long and hard about getting a custom rifle done for some long range shooting. But i'm not gonna start talking about caliber as there is plenty of threads here to learn from!!

Question is I currently have a CZ 527 in .223 which I will be getting rid of to make way for the new rifle which may be a swift or a .204 or something similar!
    If i was to trade in my .223 for a .223 remmy 700 could I then go and change the caliber when i'm getting a new barrel or would i need a new action??

Reason why i'm asking this is it would make changing the guns easier as it was the same caliber(from a .223 to a .223) and I could wait till later to make my final decision on the caliber i want to build??

So i'm just wondering would a remmy 700 action in .223 be able to be converted to a different caliber??

Thanks!

Within reason yes, short actions will work with some machining.
    I know of a guy in Athlone after ordering 4 brand neew remington 700 actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Would i better off just getting an action the cal I want??

I was hoping I could just shop around and pick up a .223 for handy money since twil only be the action i am using! Will be trading the CZ against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Would i better off just getting an action the cal I want??

I was hoping I could just shop around and pick up a .223 for handy money since twil only be the action i am using! Will be trading the CZ against it.

A guy I know recently bouight a remington action for small money.He uis buying my barrrel once I remove it from my rifle and fitting it to his.
    All for small money, will not be fancy but he is only getting started and it will be more accurate than an SPS

The barrel is mated to the action after so the action is the platform.
    Some guys after getting a custom action retire there old action which means actions can be got sercond hand.

New actions are affordable and that way Rifle will in essence be a new machine, neew barrel, action, stock of choice etc.

It could turn out cheaper than buying s/h and chopping in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Take a peek at these mate...
    Very perdy.
    http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8924

dwighet wrote: »
    Take a peek at these mate...
    Very perdy.
    http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8924

I tried to look but can't because i'm not a member! And they won't take any new members!:mad:

• Advertisement

I tried to look but can't because i'm not a member! And they won't take any new members!:mad:

that sux...
    I just emailed the lad that builds en to see if he has a web site...
    The actions a re a remington clone made in the UK to what ever cal/boltface you want....
    Here is what he wrote in the post but I cant get the pics up...

Here you go folks, first pics of our new action. Its a l/h single shot, as i have an order for 3 rifles for the same chap, and needed these quick.
    The action will be available in r/h and l/h repeater or single shot.

Specs.
    Its a remington footprint action with a separate recoil lug and rail. The rail is 20 moa as std, but available in zero cant too.
    Pinned trigger mech, and round bottomed to fit any remmy style stock.

The action is made from 416R stainless hardened to 39-40 Rockwell
    The bolt is made from 4140 steel hardened to 43-44 rockwell.
    The bolt is the std 2 lug design, fitted with a rem style ejector and a sako extractor. It is helically fluted, and runs std remington firing pins, and springs etc. Bolt handle is a teardrop style with a 5/16 x 24 unf thread, to accept any american knob.

Tenon length is std remmy, but the thread is 1.062" x 18...a slightly finer pitch than the std remmy.
    Recoil lugs in 1/4" or 3/16" thick, dependant on what the customer wants.

This action differs in the fact that the bolt clearance can be specified upon order. If you want 0.0015" benchrest clearance...you can have it. The std clearance on the repeaters is 0.0035"
    the rear tang is scalloped down both sides to fit stocks better, and the ejection port is smaller, and higher than a std remmy, or clone. All available steel has been left in there, which adds weight, but makes it stiffer.

It will retail around the £800 mark, with a £40 extra charge for left hand. Trade prices and supply to bona fide RFD,s.
    Any bolt face you want. a nice mid priced action for any general custom build, and made in the UK.

Later this year, hopefully, we will be releasing a purpose built tactical action, which will have all the desirable bits from the best actions incorporated into it.

Thanks for the info i'll have a look into it!!
    I must put my .223 up for sale to see have i any takers!

got got a email back...
    Take a look here. http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

Hi Patsat,
    Tell me about your .223, I may be interested in buying it. How old is it etc...

Sitka wrote: »
    Hi Patsat,
    Tell me about your .223, I may be interested in buying it. How old is it etc...
    Pm sent ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement