Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai Movies thread

Options
  • 15-06-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread for these kind of movies and any fans out there
    Some good ones I've seen:
    Seven Samurai (of course, I've seen Roshomon and been meaning to watch Yojimbo)
    When The Last Sword is Drawn
    The Twilight Samurai
    Zaitochi

Wasn't really impressed with The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise swinging a sword around really?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Yeah i love Samurai Movies.Have a rake of them in the collection,all the usual ones ,plus a few less well known.
    The "Baby Cart" series are top notch,spagetti samurai,with lots of fun Mad stuff and great fight scenes.
    Chushingura based on the 47 rohin is a great story,love the scenes in the snow.Have the Musashi trilogy,based on his life story.......the Japanese "Gone with the Wind", although a bit dated still a good film set.

I remember a great samurai fight scene in one of Robert Mitchums films,can't remember the film.Although the rest of the film is probably out of date,that last fight scene is forever embedded in my head.........Great stuff!.Will look it up one day and get a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

This will quickly turn into the Akira Kurosawa thread.

Apart from the ones you have mentioned.
    I also enjoyed:

Ran
    The Hidden Fortress
    Kagemusha

I've enjoyed every Kurosawa film I have seen.
    The guy knew how to work a story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Kurosawa was the master here. Yojimbo is one of my favourite films, full of humour and clever action. Still haven't got around to the sequel Sanjuro yet, which is meant to be great too. Seven Samurai of course is a classic, the rain drenched finale one of the most visceral action scenes I've ever seen. Ran is one of the most engrossing films I've ever seen too. Hard to describe Kurosawa films without superlatives :p I haven't loved every Kurosawa film I've seen like Hank - specifically, I only thought I Live in Fear was OK! - but all his samurai / feudal Japan films have been astonishing (Throne of Blood is another particularly good one). Oh, and Rashomon is like the best film ever!

Have When the Last Sword is Drawn to watch, picked it up for a euro previously-viewed in Xtravision a week ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Shogun Assassin ..remember seeing this years ago.. Thought it was a great movie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shogun Assassin is a hacked down (!) pair of Babycart films nailed together for Roger Cormans company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Definitly The Lone Wolf and Cub series would be in my humble the best samurai movies Ive ever seen.I break them out and watch all 6 back to back every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭jeffreylebowski

I remember a great samurai fight scene in one of Robert Mitchums films,can't remember the film.Although the rest of the film is probably out of date,that last fight scene is forever embedded in my head.........Great stuff!.Will look it up one day and get a copy.

I think that scene might be from The Yakuza? Robert Mitchum, 1974? I liked that movie a lot too.

As to other Samurai movies, well the original Zatoichi movies aren't really samurai flicks but they're still Japanese swordfighting movies, or chanbara or whatever you like to call them, and I saw the first one and found it pretty fantastic. A really good drama, surprisingly enough, with sparse but excellent screen fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Might have a look at some of these if I can get them, what are some of the best newer ones do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For modern Samurai style movie I really enjoyed Azumi...more style than substance but a good watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

See my user name! :p

Anyway, one samurai movie I watched recently was Sword of the Stranger. It's anime (which may put some people off), but it's absolutely fantastic. If anyone's read Blade of the Immortal, it's along the same lines. Great animation, but overall, great samurai flick.

• Advertisement

For modern Samurai style movie I really enjoyed Azumi...more style than substance but a good watch!

Yeah i agree with you on style over substance,but i loved the style..lol.
    Took me a while to hunt down the full lenght version,but it was worth it.

Has anyone seen Hanzo the Razor,i was thinking about getting it,but not sure,alot of mixed reviews .
    Anyone know if it worth getting?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

to me shogun was good ,i know the japanese rate it highly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Depending on how wide/narrow your definition of a "samurai movie" is and getting away from Kurosawa (who's clearly the master):

Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai is well worth a look.

There's a great animated samurai segment in The Animatrix by Yoshiaki Kawajiri called "Program".

I might get shot for this but I remember wholeheartedly enjoying the TV series of James Clavell's book "Shogun".

Andi I hated The Last Samurai with a passion. :rolleyes:

Watched Yojimbo last night, Mifune is great, he wrecks the joint! :D

Also like the look of Sword Of Doom, looks like it's got great action, anyone seen it?

Thought I'd shamelessly bump my own thread for this film trailer which looks great (aside from odd music choice):

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Can we bundle in Ninja films?

Shinobi (2005) is worth a watch

Curse of the Golden Flower (2006) will make your eyes bleed

Hero (2002) has probably already been watched by everyone here, but still worth mentioning

As an aside, everyone here should watch Ip man. Simply amazing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

L31mr0d wrote: »

Hero (2002) has probably already been watched by everyone here, but still worth mentioning

Now now ya can't be throwing Chinese movies into a thread about Samurai! Culturally insensitive and all that :P....let you away with the Ninja though.

All the Kurasawa ones are great as already mentioned as well as Twilight Samurai and When the Last Sword is Drawn. Also from the director of Twilight Samurai is The Hidden Blade, great movie!!

I want to recommend Red Sun also, its a fish out of water western with Charles Bronson and a Samurai played by Toshiro Mifune, deserves more recognition than it gets and has two of the best actors ever at the top of their game! Trailer is a bit spoilery:

Also its not a movie but if you like samurai you really should track down the anime series Samurai Champloo from the makers of Cowboy Bebop.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai was already mentioned but it kicks ass! I think Ronin with Robert Deniro and Jean Reno could also be classed as a samurai moie to some extent too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Thought I'd shamelessly bump my own thread for this film trailer which looks great (aside from odd music choice):
    If that song is actually in the movie.. It's officially ruined.

^ Yeah it was a weird inclusion in the "official trailer" according to Youtube, here's another without it:

L31mr0d wrote: »

Ninja yes but wuxia (Chinese martial-arts fantasy), NO! :p

j/k, I guess it's ok but strictly speaking they should be totally different kinds of films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are also movies in which Samurai are not the good guys: two I can think of are Rashomon and [Zatoichi]. The Ronin come up in this context: when a Samurai is not in service to a Lord, what happens to him? Does he fight for good, or does he go wild?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I see there is a bit of hate in this thread for The Last Samurai but I thought it was an excellent film.

It was hardly original though, I found it too similar to James Clavell's book, Shogun ( Last Samurai was much more condensed), which they made a TV series of, with Toshiro Mifune as the main Lord, who I didn't recognise with the moustache lol.

Trailer (very dated now but pretty awesome for the 80's):

Two that I seen last year, were Ichi and 13 assassins. Loved the story in Ichi ,its well worth watching.13 Assassins is top notch.

Got a copy of Hanzo the razor,watched the first one and gave up.Action scenes were a bit boring,and there was some pretty weird stuff (made me laugh)that probably appeals to a Japanese audience.
    Did'nt bother with the rest of the set.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The recent Blu-Ray of Harakiri is frankly astonishing. I'd put the film up there with the best of Kurosawa's samurai films. Kind of film that reminds me why I love Japanese cinema so much.

Takeshi Miike has a remake of the film due out soon. It looks extremely similar, which doesn't fill me with great confidence TBH:

The recent Blu-Ray of Harakiri is frankly astonishing. I'd put the film up there with the best of Kurosawa's samurai films. Kind of film that reminds me why I love Japanese cinema so much.

Takeshi Miike has a remake of the film due out soon. It looks extremely similar, which doesn't fill me with great confidence TBH:

I thought it was out in April, it was listed as such when I preordered the Blu-Ray awhile back but a friend working in HMV said that they have it on their computer as being released last Friday.

Says end of April on Amazon. Surprised it isn't getting a cinema release on the back of 13 Assassins.

As said, trailer doesn't look like a departure from the original (although I'm aware 13 Assassins was a remake of a - more obscure - older film too). More excited about his take on Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney, due out in fair Nippon next month.

Says end of April on Amazon. Surprised it isn't getting a cinema release on the back of 13 Assassins.

As said, trailer doesn't look like a departure from the original (although I'm aware 13 Assassins was a remake of a - more obscure - older film too). More excited about his take on Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney, due out in fair Nippon next month.

April 20th is the release date I think, I'm assuming HMV have the date wrong or it may be some early exclusive but I doubt it. The original is a master class in cinematic perfection, one of those films that everyone should watch. Been meaning to pick up the Blu since it was released, thinking I may order it with Seven Samurai later this week

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

April 20th is the release date I think, I'm assuming HMV have the date wrong or it may be some early exclusive but I doubt it. The original is a master class in cinematic perfection, one of those films that everyone should watch. Been meaning to pick up the Blu since it was released, thinking I may order it with Seven Samurai later this week

Is it on criterion release? I presume it is? Or is that just the dvd version?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Is it on criterion release? I presume it is? Or is that just the dvd version?

Criterion Blu, they have a few Kurosawa on Blu. Planning to get Yojimbo also

Advertisement