Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai Movies thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Criterion Blu, they have a few Kurosawa on Blu. Planning to get Yojimbo also

Sweet. Its criminal they don't get released properly over here. At least you feel like you're getting your money's worth with them though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Masters of Cinema are doing a great job bringing Criterion quality classics over here. However, they still seem a bit better for hidden and underviewed classics rather than the usual 'best films evar' (although their version of Touch of Evil is meant to be fantastic). I know BFI have started releasing some Blu-Rays, so hopefully they'll get on their Kurosawa back catalogue soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched Chonmage Purin, (A Boy and His Samurai), saw a few boardsies mention it.
    Nice little film.

Next up: Samurai Fiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think Masters of Cinema are doing a great job bringing Criterion quality classics over here. However, they still seem a bit better for hidden and underviewed classics rather than the usual 'best films evar' (although their version of Touch of Evil is meant to be fantastic). I know BFI have started releasing some Blu-Rays, so hopefully they'll get on their Kurosawa back catalogue soon.

It is. Bought it and their version of Silent Running last week on blu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Has anyone seen this yet.I was thinking of getting a copy.But the only copy I could see online (amazon) is getting bad reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aquila wrote: »
    Is 13 Assassins any good lads?

Good is an understatement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Is 13 Assassins any good lads?

Top notch IMO.I would have liked to see the full Japanese version,but I was happy enough with the international release.

So its a must watch?

Absolutely imho!

• Advertisement

So its a must watch?

IMO yeah.I have seen it a few times now,and I have liked it more each time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I am a very occasionaly poster in these parts. I was having a read of the favourite westerns thread and it got me thinking. I love Sergio Leone's westerns and as a teenager this got me interested in Samurai films when I heard he used the films of Akira Kurosawa as a basis for them.

The first Samurai film I ever watched was Yojimbo, late night on Channel 4 sometime in the early 90's. Blew me away. What a film, it was the first of a season of Japanese films that included some heavy weight classics: Ran, Kagemusha, The 7 Samurai, Akira and more.

Personally, Kagemusha is my favourite Samurai film and probably in my top 5 favourite films ever. Best film George Lucas was ever involved in ;).

In recent years I've really enjoyed When the Last Sword is Drawn and The Twilight Samurai.

I was wondering if there are any I've missed out on and would love to hear what peoples favourite Samurai films are.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This is an area of film i really must make the effort to watch more movies about , as im a huge fan of samurai era japan, i have read the book Shogun which is one of all my all time favourite reads. I play shogun total war alot.

And have recently watched 13 samurai which i loved and have also recently watched Ran recently which was great.

Im going to get my hands on the movie you recomeneded here and post again when i watch it.

One of the reasons i fear for these movies though is maybe its just me but the type of film alot of them are shot on seems super grainy, and i dont think restoration copies will come out looking great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I have the Criterion version of the Seven Samurai. But technically were they not Ronin's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched When the last sword is drawn recently, didn't like it much

But I did enjoy 13 Assassins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I have the Criterion version of the Seven Samurai. But technically were they not Ronin's?

Ronin Samurai were landless Samurai for hire.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Merged with the recent thread on the subject.

As I said earlier, the original version of Hara-Kiri is every bit as brilliant as any of Kurosawa's films in the 'genre' (if we can call it that). A brutally cynical film, but the kind that makes you fall in love with Japanese cinema all over again. Miike's recent remake is identical and therefore pretty pointless. Kobayashi's is probably in my top five Japanese films of all time, though.

Musashi is good , as well as ran.

I like 7 Samurai as well as Azumi 1 and 2. My girlfriend bought them by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Ichi, a female Zaitochi. Its good, not great but watchable.

ichi.jpg

Last Princess the 2008 remake of Hidden Fortress isn't that bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

watched 13 assassins and thought it was really good, but I noticed the run time on the bluray released by artificial eye was like 120 mins? and the original version was something like 140 minutes? was a little disappointed to see so much was cut.

am I missing out on much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Links234 wrote: »
    watched 13 assassins and thought it was really good, but I noticed the run time on the bluray released by artificial eye was like 120 mins? and the original version was something like 140 minutes? was a little disappointed to see so much was cut.

am I missing out on much?
    All the deleted scenes are on the extras anyway.

...and nah you didn't miss much, it was just typical Miike weirdness that could have easily been taken out of the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

But I like Miike weirdness :(

I'll check out the extras so. thanks! :)

Advertisement