Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Over charging

Options
  • 15-06-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

hi all,

so my girlfriend got her meteor bill today and it was a bit of a shock. 600 euro of data charges. she has a HTC hero phone with 1gb addon for the past 5 months and has never gone over the 1gb. However this month some strange downloads are appear. all over 20,000 Kb and a max of 33,000 Kb. She rang meteor who said they where correct.

My question is for someone who uses the phone for facebook talking on google chat the odd time and few emails how has this happened?

does anyone know if there is any way to gain the ip address of these particular charges in order to gauge what they where exactly.

Any help that can be given would be great as meteor where unhelpful at best, i just find it hard that she used so much data as I have never used over 500mb on my iPhone including youtube

Thanks for you time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Odd.

I was looking at my last meteor bill. I'm on a 20 euro p/m (incl. VAT) plan. I went through every entry, all 0.000 euro as I only ever use included minutes and texts, but I got charged 25.30 in total.

The month before, with checking email once and using gmaps a handful of times, I was charged 47 euro.

I went to the support forum, no answer. Can't email them directly, only via a form submission page which I can't get to work. Will ring customer care tomorrow but to me it seems meteor are great at attracting new business and not keeping it. I bought a Samsung Jet because I was told they wouldn't be getting HTC phones. A few months later, they were selling HTC phones, and I have no upgrade path available to me.

I won't be going meteor again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Out of bundle data charges are quite simply insane. They are absolutely gouging!

Over 600 euro for that little bit of extra data is just a joke! 30 quid would be steep.

The pricing structure for data puts people off using data and smartphones generally!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Internet on bill pay is capped at 50e ex VAT so no more large bills.

Direct email is info@meteor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

thanks where now looking into it. i think she is going to ask them for more information on the particular charges to attempt to ascertain exactly what they relate too as some of them are for the early hours of the morning. my only explanation is a rouge app

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

chrislad wrote: »
    Internet on bill pay is capped at 50e ex VAT so no more large bills.

Doesn't that apply only to roaming internet use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No they apply to all data.

I have a similar problem.
    When I bought my desire i got a free month of data free and I was told to contact meteor before the month was over to make it a permanent add on if i wanted it.a few days before I was to contact meteor their customer care contacted me asking was I happy with the service since I moved over and basically asking me to do a survey.I enquired about the add-on and the guy told me not to ring back ,that he would get it added when the date arose.
    happy days I thought until I got charged €140 for data last week.I have rang them but they only seem to be willing to cancel the amount over €50 so im down €90 thru no fault of my own.the last few times I have called they keep fobbing me off.Anything I can do about this ?

sorry about the long post!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

you are correct in that the EU directive is only applied to roaming data, however meteor have been capping domestic data to €50 for the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

I don't know if I will be that much helpful, but Android has an application, which counts your data usage and gives you warning when you approach your set limit.

It will not fix your current problem, but will save you this trouble in the future!

valdigre wrote: »
    I don't know if I will be that much helpful, but Android has an application, which counts your data usage and gives you warning when you approach your set limit.

It will not fix your current problem, but will save you this trouble in the future!

I have the the application on my desire .it fairly accurate.it does'nt solve my problem unfortunatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I was in a meteor shop today enquiring about getting a htc desire. He told me that they only sell them on bill pay on tarriffs with data bundles because of the huge cost of data usage. If you go over your data allowance it is now capped at 50 euro but he said he had seen people with bills for 10-15 thousand!
    Doubt anyone ended up paying anywhere near that but goes to show the ridiculous system meteor have got. I've had numerous billing problems with meteor lately and will probably end up moving to o2 in the next few weeks.

jonas7 wrote: »
    I was in a meteor shop today enquiring about getting a htc desire. He told me that they only sell them on bill pay on tarriffs with data bundles because of the huge cost of data usage. If you go over your data allowance it is now capped at 50 euro but he said he had seen people with bills for 10-15 thousand!
    Doubt anyone ended up paying anywhere near that but goes to show the ridiculous system meteor have got. I've had numerous billing problems with meteor lately and will probably end up moving to o2 in the next few weeks.
    You don't have to be on a tariff with a data bundle ,he was talking ****.

just an update.I got a call from meteor today and they have cleared my bill because it was their fault .sent them an e-mail in the end coz i was getting nowhere when i rang and it was sorted in a few days.

Advertisement