Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History - Tips, Advice, Etc.?

• 15-06-2010 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

So, I'm seriously worried about Art History on Thursday. :(

I managed to fail it in my mocks, and even though I'm happy enough that my projects have passed me, I'd like to get a good score in the written exam (especially after today's disastrous Business paper).

My teacher said that I waffle on a bit and don't draw enough, and he suggested that I write in bullet points. Are there any tips or advice you can give me (and others, I'm sure) in how to do a good Art History paper?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The number one tip is to be clear headed in the exam, you can pick up points for common sense quite easily.

Waffling is a bad habit though, 2 or 3 concise pages are better than 5pages holding the same information.

If your looking for tips on what to study there are already two threads going with information from a number of posters, one is "So, anyone here doing Art" and the other is, I think, "Art History Essays"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 vicksterchick

If your looking for tips on what to study there are already two threads going with information from a number of posters, one is "So, anyone here doing Art" and the other is, I think, "Art History Essays"

Ah, really? Sorry. :o I searched "art", but nothing came up, so I presumed no one had posted anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SEInvincible

i agree with you about the disastrous business!.

but i try to have a sample essay done on the topics your doing, so you always have the same intro and conclusion , pretty much.

I'm doing Newgrange . Bronze Age . Stone Age and Impression and maybe post impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

I posted this on the other art thread but

Oh my goddddd!!

I just looked at this years mock exam paper and the Newgrange question and "painting depicting water" question came up! Is there a chance it'll come up in the real thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I posted this on the other art thread but

Oh my goddddd!!

I just looked at this years mock exam paper and the Newgrange question and "painting depicting water" question came up! Is there a chance it'll come up in the real thing?

I did that paper, only I did the 'portrait of a single person' question and did Leonardo.

If you want some advice:

- Raphael
    - Leo
    - Mike
    - Donatello

Use Vasari's Lives of the Artists (free online if you search) to find 2-3 interesting factoids nobody else will have to make your essay stand out. Optional: watch episodes of TMNT

Second, do Newgrange. I assume you did a gallery visit of some sort so provided they don't ask some really awkward question that should be in the bag. I wouldn't leave out the Romanesque/Gothic Periods, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Thanks for your advice!

Really? I actually planned to leave out the Romanesque/Gothic and focus on Renaissance and Impressionism...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

my art teacher decided to just give us notes and do it ourselves...so yea he gave us notes 2 days before the exam...not impressed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

guys , if i have raphael , leonardo , michelangelo , botticelli , donatello studied to perfection . is it pretty safe for european ? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

D'you guys think that impressionism and post impressionism are a safe enough bet? :/

Could anyone pm me with a art gallery sample essay .. or just give us a link in the thread . Please ... :cool::pac: @ @ @ @

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EveBann

if it was say 'a painting depicting water' or 'building' or something like like could ya do something like the tribute money?does the painting have to be centered around the subject or can it just be in it as a minor detail?

it just have to be in the painting not all over it , unless it says so .
    i'd say tribute money is alr for the categories mentioned by ye .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EveBann

That helps thank you!had to source all my art history notes cause our teacher didnt give us any,off to make a start on learning them now!Hoping i can fit Masaccio in somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

JamesJB wrote: »
    Optional: watch episodes of TMNT
    You legend, +1
    Areq wrote:
    art gallery sample essay

Heres something that might help, its not an essay but it will tell you how to answer the question
    http://www.hughlane.ie/media/4911_StudentGuidetoLeavingCertificateGalleryQuestion.pdf

Advertisement