Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib Pike Abortion

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Zzippy wrote: »

The mesh size and areas fished ensures that 95% of the fish taken in the nets are pike.

net size holes - rubbish... iv seen small fish in nets for salmon, so your not leaving the nets over night then... its all done there and then... ok.... so you are able to release fish...

Large pike are released again, smaller pike are culled. Anyone who fishes Corrib regularly knows they are used.

i did not know you were killing the pike that systematically... and i fish the lake a lot...

jesus it gets worse.....

here we go again ... kill all the small pike... jesus your not even happy with killing all of the spawn in loads of bays / locations... well to be fair to the WRFB - I dont think they knew they were killing all the pike spawn.... in all those locations when cutting the weed in March and April....

I think you lot have miss calculated the amount of pike you have killed ....... you have destroyed the lake.

you never told me how crap the lake fished for you and for everyone else...

the lake is managed crap... that is why i dont know how you are doing it.. ... the lake should be managed on how good it fishes... and there is a big problem... for someone that manages fisheries... it seems clear you cant catch decent corrib trout on the fly.

it also tells me ... that you dont understand that the more fly there is the bigger the fish comes to the surface and the longer he stays there...

there is not enough fly comeing up during the day any more.. fly hatches are stuffed.... because perch ate all the nymphs

something is becoming apparent - current fishery management does not produce the best fishing conditions...

why does the fishery management not manage the fly hatches to... well they do ... but what they are doing is having the complete opposite effect that is needed...

I really do wonder how supposedly intelligent people can post such utter rubbish on these boards. What's even more ironic is these people's utter certainty in their beliefs, even if they are contrary to scientific principles, years of research, educated opinion of highly respected scientists, etc. Oh no, they're right and everyone else is wrong.

Good man yourself!

people like you and your scientist are crap at fishing and you dont know the first thing about catching decent sized fish on the fly.. all you lot try and do is boost stocks of fish that are priority to you and whatever governing body...

it is a big pity that you don’t understand how to produce a lake that fishes well .....

Lough Corrib should be handed back to the fishermen who know that the pike should not be killed because they create balance and kill the perch ...

the problem with lough corrib is , 99% of the day there is not enough fly coming up ... Why? because the perch ate it all...

trout caught are very small on average. why? because they compete with food with the perch. And there is not enough food for the bigger trout to come near the surface to eat your wet or dry fly.. (corrib has tons of big trout in it... why do they stay deep now in recent years...) or why are trout not in the shallows like the old days? because perch shoals eat all the food.. why would a trout be there if there is no food.

Anyone seeing a pattern...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

....the problem with lough corrib is , 99% of the day there is not enough fly coming up ... Why? because the perch ate it all...
    (I can't bear to read any more of this .... Bored-cute-big-smiley-animated-066.gif )

DFF - you still ignore 100s of tons of roach and what they eat!

Plenty of forage fish make the trout bigger, and harder to catch on tiny flies.
    Try a polystickle for a change, but get up early. See what is going on in the perch fry shoals at dawn.
    ... Anyone seeing a pattern...
    Bigtime ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

DFF you should create a Company to fish perch industrialy and sale it to the continental market where they like it. Would make your stock of perch going down in Corrib :D, would create jobs on top of that. A good exemple of what can be done in an ecofriendly manner :rolleyes:

coolwings wrote: »
    (I can't bear to read any more of this ...... )

DFF - you still ignore 100s of tons of roach and what they eat!

Plenty of forage fish make the trout bigger, and harder to catch on tiny flies.
    Try a polystickle for a change, but get up early. See what is going on in the perch fry shoals at dawn.

now your just complicating things.. the pike will kill them also...

point is ... dont kill the pike....

• Advertisement

BoarHunter wrote: »
    DFF you should create a Company to fish perch industrialy and sale it to the continental market where they like it. Would make your stock of perch going down in Corrib :D, would create jobs on top of that. A good exemple of what can be done in an ecofriendly manner :rolleyes:

i suggested selling the perch earlier... lol ... but exporting them to countries that prize the fish for maximum profit... hmmmmm ... i like it lol....

Hay WRFB .... go sell the perch if you need some cash so you can cut the weed 24/7... LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

[C]Lough Corrib should be handed back to the fishermen who know that the pike should not be killed because they create balance and kill the perch ]

this is the most accurate statement you have ever made......well done.

this is the most accurate statement you have ever made......well done.

thank you... lol:)

thank you... lol:)

It is an old mantra of mine that game fisheries would be better if run and managed by LOCAL clubs/associations/co-ops whatever you want to call them, for sake of argument I will call them clubs….. maybe with a central state monitoring agency having a ‘supervisory/advisory’ role………the revenue raised by the ‘clubs’ would go into the proper no nonsense management of the fisheries…..yes proper management, that is really what all of this stuff in this thread about… …….but such a system of course would depend on anglers paying and putting the hand in the pocket… many are not fond of that concept…(even though some gladly pay €600+ for a rod!!!) but considering that I believe that most sensible anglers will pay a reasonable sensible fee for good angling.......after all if you think about it if it was not for the local clubs fishing would be in a far worse state than it is….imagine if the clubs had more control over their waters…..

It is an old mantra of mine that game fisheries would be better if run and managed by LOCAL clubs/associations/co-ops whatever you want to call them, for sake of argument I will call them clubs….. maybe with a central state monitoring agency having a ‘supervisory/advisory’ role………the revenue raised by the ‘clubs’ would go into the proper no nonsense management of the fisheries…..yes proper management, that is really what all of this stuff in this thread about… …….but such a system of course would depend on anglers paying and putting the hand in the pocket… many are not fond of that concept…(even though some gladly pay €600+ for a rod!!!) but considering that I believe that most sensible anglers will pay a reasonable sensible fee for good angling.......after all if you think about it if it was not for the local clubs fishing would be in a far worse state than it is….imagine if the clubs had more control over their waters…..

now now... 600 for a rod... thats cheap... lol...

sure if a lake fished well it attracts tourism... pays for itself...

back in the old days when you had all the Fianna Failures on the lake it fished well... now there aint much knowledge in government only puppets looking for votes...

i did not vote for them ... did you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

i hope you don't expect only the tourists to pay... look abroad and you will see the money you pay for a fishing licence only to fish perch & pike.... and trout waters are more expensive and limited in the number of anglers but in the other sense they repair the river banks, create more current where needed, create some good conditions for spawning. You have a lot of places with catch & release mandatory and so on.

Management has a price, Ireland is in a time with fresh memories of unspoilt waters but the population has now increase, the fishing is more popular than ever and if the management doesn't adapt then the wild fish will be soon near extinct.

now now... 600 for a rod... thats cheep... lol...

sure if a lake fished well it attracts tourism... pays for itself...

back in the old days when you had all the Fianna Failures on the lake it fished well... now there aint much knowledge in government only puppets looking for votes...

i did not vote for them ... did you...

ah puppets looking for votes....
    sadly there are few votes in angling....
    I certainly did not and would not vote for those slobs……..
    the problem the others are f**k all better……..a bunch of jim jankers the lot of them.........

ah puppets looking for votes....
    sadly there are few votes in angling....
    I certainly did not and would not vote for those slobs……..
    the problem the others are f**k all better……..a bunch of jim jankers the lot of them.........

put a W in front of this word ankers LMOA

BoarHunter wrote: »
    i hope you don't expect only the tourists to pay... look abroad and you will see the money you pay for a fishing licence only to fish perch & pike.... and trout waters are more expensive and limited in the number of anglers but in the other sense they repair the river banks, create more current where needed, create some good conditions for spawning. You have a lot of places with catch & release mandatory and so on.

Management has a price, Ireland is in a time with fresh memories of unspoilt waters but the population has now increase, the fishing is more popular than ever and if the management doesn't adapt then the wild fish will be soon near extinct.

BOARHUNTER....EVERYONE has to pay irrespective of where they are from or indeed how often they fish......everyone has to put their money where their mouths are........you are 100% right we are indeed living in the past.......time to wake up and cop on.........

put a W in front of this word ankers LMOA
    u got it in 1

BOARHUNTER....EVERYONE has to pay irrespective of where they are from or indeed how often they fish......everyone has to put their money where their mouths are........you are 100% right we are indeed living in the past.......time to wake up and cop on.........

if they stoped killing the pike and cut the weed at the right time...id pay....

the fishing would be back to normal within 5-6 years...

sure we can only dream...:rolleyes:

sure a fly man would sell his soul for a week like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXyjDVwSmw

little to say the salmon were not there this year on dry fly...

and far less big trout coming up..... during the day..and all because there is bugger all pike eating the perch etc that eat the nymphs...

Advertisement