Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student looking for accommodation

Options
  • 15-06-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'll be heading to Maynooth this September to study English. I'm looking for a bit of advice on somewhere to live. I've read through the other threads, but I'm still slightly nervous about moving as I know absolutely nobody else in Maynooth. It all feels a bit daunting at the minute.
    I'm 25 and looking to live with people in and around that age or older. Is anyone else in the same boat? I've got the housing list from the college, but I've no idea where to begin.
    I've heard/read somewhere that there's acc allocated to mature students on campus. Is this correct and if so, has anyone lived there? Any advice around any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

/Slightly off topic
    Sorry that I can't help with advice for accommodation but I just wanted to say don't be nervous, the place is very friendly and within a few days you'll know the place like the back of your hand. Remember for every idiot you meet in Maynooth there'll be 50 more behind them pulling faces/making fun of them (no joke, great way to meet people:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Thank you :) I'm really looking forward to it. I've heard only good things..so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You'd probably be best looking for a place with postgrads/professionals. I love with a bunch like that and we're all in or around your age. Don't be nervous though, best way to make friends is to just dive into it, move in with 3 or 4 people and you're bound to get on great with 1 or 2 of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

girlonfire wrote: »
    I've heard/read somewhere that there's acc allocated to mature students on campus. Is this correct and if so, has anyone lived there? Any advice around any of this would be greatly appreciated.

There is in fact a building devoted mostly to Mature Students. (Oh and Postgrads)

The Residence Office do there best to accommodate as many types of students as possible, there's small families and lone parents, first years and internationals, postgrads and matures, etc, all living all over the place.

I suggest popping into the residence office and talking to Fiona Kenny. she can help with the campus/off campus situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Don't be nervous. I know NUIM had the highest number of mature students a few years ago, not sure if that's changed now or not but at least you won't stick out like a sore thumb ;) Plus you're only 25, not 55 so you'll be grand. Ring or pop in to the Residence Office, they help out with this kind of situation and at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction. Enjoy, it's a great place!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

dont live on campus its depressing and expensive. Ill be looking for a place similar to you if I get my postgrad. Best of luck. Maynooth is so friendly, you'll love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

dont live on campus its depressing and expensive. Ill be looking for a place similar to you if I get my postgrad. Best of luck. Maynooth is so friendly, you'll love it :)

I'd disagree, campus can be bad.

Selfish so and so's making noise at all hours, strange house mates, etc.
    But its not so bad, if your in with a good crowd, (Like Matures). Its not so bad.

Expensive, yeah... but the residence office is pretty understanding if you explain it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm going to get on with looking at places soon. I think living with professionals/postgrads will suit me. I'll give Fiona Kenny a buzz tomorrow for some more info. Thanks again for the helpful replies from everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 emmaocal

hi-im 24 and a postgrad in NUIM and not COMPLETELY sure yet but one or two of us might be looking for a house for september and if so we will need to make up numbers to rent and would like to meet new people!! will know within the next 2 weeks sort of so will contact you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sag

I'm in exactly the same boat as you! (24 and starting in Sept) I sent you a PM the other day so let me know if you've had any luck with the househunt :)
    If there's anyone else out there looking for accom, PM me and maybe we could sort somethin out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 emmaocal

Sag wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you! (24 and starting in Sept) I sent you a PM the other day so let me know if you've had any luck with the househunt :)
    If there's anyone else out there looking for accom, PM me and maybe we could sort somethin out!

Hey!

we have a single room available in our house-2 girl postgrads living there-24 and 23! was in contact with mature student above and shes gonna look at one of the rooms, youre welcome to look at the other one if youre interested or if you have any questions can contact me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mandacos

Hey

I am also going to Maynooth in September and dont know a sole! Going doing a postgrad aswel nd finding it hard to get nywher to live since most houses r looking for goups. So if nyhow is lookin for sumone to make up numbers to fill a house, id' b interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

goodness when has 24ish become mature, i thought at 45 i was mature...sh... now i just feel ancient!! :(:(:( think i should study paleontogy least i would know what I talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PadraigD

Hey all,
    I'm starting in Maynooth in Sept as a mature student.
    I was in contact wit a good few ppl in the office and they suggest that I should go to the mature student apartments in North Campus (Moyglare).
    Is there any1 here considering going into those apartments or are ye all looking for houses around town??

Advertisement