Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Shebeen' in Limerick City Centre??

Options
  • 15-06-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

I met a young Zimbabwean lady a few days ago and during conversation she was telling me about a Zimbabwean national who was operating a club mainly frequented by African nationals but was recently raided by the Gardai. It was a basic club located in the City Centre (possibly Wickham St) serving bottles and cans for €2 and an entrance fee of €2. She was asking me what might happen to the guy as a result of being shut down. I personally haven't a clue but I told her he could and should at least get a large fine.

Personally I think it's wrong what he was doing. We all know about the problems in the pubtrade and the value of a licence, overheads, staff and advertising add up to huge overheads.

Has anyone else heard of this? Besides the case of the 'entrepreneur' Anthony Kelly.

Oh and I don't want any racist rubbish replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

The maximum fine for running a shebeen is €63.49 (or the old £50).

Usually all the drink on the premises is confiscated also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Why do you think he should get a large fine? I say fair dues to him. With the current economic climate a lot of people can't afford the ridiculous prices that pubs charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Jigga wrote: »
    Why do you think he should get a large fine? I say fair dues to him. With the current economic climate a lot of people can't afford the ridiculous prices that pubs charge

Grand, so people should just operate pubs from where ever suits them without any regulation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Grand, so people should just operate pubs from where ever suits them without any regulation?
    Never said that but I think more people should stand up to the extortionate prices that are charged by pubs. Don't know why the original poster emphasized that that they should be fined heavily.

Also I'm not sure why the OP felt the need to identify that an African is running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Also I'm not sure why the OP felt the need to identify that an African is running it.

I'm only stating the facts of what someone who frequented the place told me. If it were up to me I'd report the 'landlord' immediately whether he was from Castletroy or Harare. Pubs are regulated in this country for a reason.

• Advertisement

Never said that but I think more people should stand up to the extortionate prices that are charged by pubs. Don't know why the original poster emphasized that that they should be fined heavily.

:rolleyes:

Trying to turn it around into a racism arguement. Nice.

Would you be happy if some fella decided to "stand up to extortionate prices" by running a shebeen next to your house from where people were coming and going at all hours of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm only stating the facts of what someone who frequented the place told me. If it were up to me I'd report the 'landlord' immediately whether he was from Castletroy or Harare. Pubs are regulated in this country for a reason.

The Pubs are ripping people off left right and centre with their ridiculous prices. **** them. I fully support anybody who opens his own place for people to drink in. A loss in business for the pubs might send them a very strong message that people just aren't going to pay their prices anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

DarkJager wrote: »
    The Pubs are ripping people off left right and centre with their ridiculous prices. **** them. I fully support anybody who opens his own place for people to drink in. A loss in business for the pubs might send them a very strong message that people just aren't going to pay their prices anymore.

A lot of pubs have promotions nowadays by way of getting people into their pubs, I know of many local pubs doing €3 pints and bottles. You just need to shop around. Personally I prefer to pay that bit extra if it means I'm in a pub I like, with nice staff, good music, etc.

Anyway, say for example there's a fire in one of these premises where people get injured and there's no insurance?

A lot of pubs have promotions nowadays by way of getting people into their pubs, I know of many local pubs doing €3 pints and bottles. You just need to shop around. Personally I prefer to pay that bit extra if it means I'm in a pub I like, with nice staff, good music, etc.

Anyway, say for example there's a fire in one of these premises where people get injured and there's no insurance?

They have been ripping people off for years and are now trying to claw people back with flimsy half assed promotions. And no pub I've been in in Limerick has ever had what I'd call good staff or music, unless barmen who serve their friends first and playing godawful chart music is your idea of a good pub.

Lets not get started on pedantics about fire safety. Take one look at Costelloes for a prime example of a death trap parading as a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

445279.ie wrote: »
    The maximum fine for running a shebeen is €63.49 (or the old £50).

Usually all the drink on the premises is confiscated also.
    I would have thought that deportation would also be an option open to a judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

DarkJager wrote: »
    They have been ripping people off for years and are now trying to claw people back with flimsy half assed promotions. And no pub I've been in in Limerick has ever had what I'd call good staff or music, unless barmen who serve their friends first and playing godawful chart music is your idea of a good pub.

Lets not get started on pedantics about fire safety. Take one look at Costelloes for a prime example of a death trap parading as a pub.
    100% agree. No sympathy for any publican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

aaah the ould sibin, something we have in common with our African friends!! Bring back the sibin, and the ould sing song and a bit of ceili :p
    Diddly douse a douse a diddley douse a dee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Would you be happy if some fella decided to "stand up to extortionate prices" by running a shebeen next to your house from where people were coming and going at all hours of the night?

For some people this is the whole appeal of living in town..

Stab*City wrote: »
    For some people this is the whole appeal of living in town..

Yes, but at least it you move into a house next door to a pub you know what to expect and roughly what time it will close. An illegal premisis can just spring up over night and people can come and go as they please. I'm all for publicans taking a hit, lowering prices etc, it's just that the people on here saying fair play to him, would be the exact same people on here whinging and moaning if one opened up beside them.

Yes, but at least it you move into a house next door to a pub you know what to expect and roughly what time it will close. An illegal premisis can just spring up over night and people can come and go as they please. I'm all for publicans taking a hit, lowering prices etc, it's just that the people on here saying fair play to him, would be the exact same people on here whinging and moaning if one opened up beside them.

An illegal premises isn't going to have 100+ people crammed inside it now is it? It would be the same as a house party next door to you if anything, and most likely not even that loud to stop attention being drawn to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

one only has to look outside pubs on bin collection day, the amount of empty boxes that origionate in supermarkets at a euro or less per bottle and then sold to the public for between four and five euro should put things in perspective, the same applys to spirits, no tax on income, also loss to the revenue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

flutered wrote: »
    one only has to look outside pubs on bin collection day, the amount of empty boxes that origionate in supermarkets at a euro or less per bottle and then sold to the public for between four and five euro should put things in perspective, the same applys to spirits, no tax on income, also loss to the revenue,

name one bar that does this.

i know for a fact that bitter end does. but they sell it for 3 quid a bottle.

bars do not buy their drink from supermarkets as "not for resale" is printed on each bottle. if a pub is found selling these on there is suppose to be a very very serious consequeces involved. the only problem is people dont care enough to report it.

if a sibin pays 18 quid for a box of beer they sell for 2 quid a bottle they make a profit of 30 quid a box

they also avoid insurance and paying tax......................................

Advertisement