Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feuds and waterford .....

• 15-06-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

What is it in last 2 or 3 years with all the feuds in waterford ? Drugs , Power , or just not agreeing on things:rolleyes: :confused: And i know feuds happen everywhere but here it seems to be increasing lately.

For example:

Anyone who taught or thinks the traveller feud is over im afraid it seems its not , look at last week a security gaurd held down while a group of men burned down a house for the 3rd or 4th time at tax payers expense , then i hear a man got injured from shooting in ballybeg yesterday (may not be connected) and now this afternoon animal welfare have bein called to williamstown with gardai after a man found badly mutilated horse in a field, all this in a week or so, i passed by carrickphierish rd and lads their were all rounding up their horses around half 6 ish , they must be worried they are at risk too .

I was sure it had calmed down between them but from what im hearing its getting bad again , thats just a example , im hearing of more and more little feuds between people and it seems all these are getting worse over last year or two .

I also think the media are told to not cover most incidents unless really serious , has anyone else heard of incidents or is anyone really bothered as long as they just keep it between themselves ? Just when i heard of the horse incident today i wondered do people know this stuff is still going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

jo06555 wrote: »
    What is it in last 2 or 3 years with all the feuds in waterford ? Drugs , Power , or just not agreeing on things:rolleyes: :confused: And i know feuds happen everywhere but here it seems to be increasing lately.

For example:

Anyone who taught or thinks the traveller feud is over im afraid it seems its not , look at last week a security gaurd held down while a group of men burned down a house for the 3rd or 4th time at tax payers expense , then i hear a man got injured from shooting in ballybeg yesterday (may not be connected) and now this afternoon animal welfare have bein called to williamstown with gardai after a man found badly mutilated horse in a field, all this in a week or so, i passed by carrickphierish rd and lads their were all rounding up their horses around half 6 ish , they must be worried they are at risk too .

I was sure it had calmed down between them but from what im hearing its getting bad again , thats just a example , im hearing of more and more little feuds between people and it seems all these are getting worse over last year or two .

I also think the media are told to not cover most incidents unless really serious , has anyone else heard of incidents or is anyone really bothered as long as they just keep it between themselves ? Just when i heard of the horse incident today i wondered do people know this stuff is still going on.

how do you know its travellers? havent heard anyone talking about the above mentioned incidents, would have thought they would get some mention in the press, have you tried ringing the munster express or any local press to confirm what you have heard

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well I assume the op meant the halting site in williamstown and in relation to the house burnt down last week for the 2nd or 3rd time, again this house was due to be given to a traveller family and according to locals from the area along with a high profile local representative from the area, travellers were involved in the assault and the arson on the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

the shooting in ballybeg had nothing at all to do with the travellers, it was different families, the guards were doing door to door enquiries today about it and they said it was a replica handgun and fired pellets, it sounded the same as a proper gun, the man was wounded but not seriously hurt, it happened at 1 o clock in the day out on the green with children running around playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Lenient judges and a lack of Garda resources would be my guess. Also there might be an imitation factor of whats going on in Limerick and Dublin (though luckily not as bad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

dayshah wrote: »
    Lenient judges and a lack of Garda resources would be my guess. Also there might be an imitation factor of whats going on in Limerick and Dublin (though luckily not as bad).

YET.

Things keep going is way and it only a matter of time , The most worrying thing is the new feud a known Travelling Family and their clan V's a known Drugs family and their so called gang. This new feud if it kicks off could make the others look like tea parties

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    YET.

Things keep going is way and it only a matter of time , The most worrying thing is the new feud a known Travelling Family and their clan V's a known Drugs family and their so called gang. This new feud if it kicks off could make the others look like tea parties

I don't understand. Are you saying this feud has begun, or this feud could begin.

Bad as the traveller feuds are they sort of have rules in that they normally keep it amongst themselves if you don't interfere. I think general scumbag feuds are worse. I wonder what a combination would be like, worst of both I suppose.

That said, put them all on the Saltee Islands and charge tourists €5 a minute to look at the feud through a telescope from the safety of the mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I don't understand. Are you saying this feud has begun, or this feud could begin.

Bad as the traveller feuds are they sort of have rules in that they normally keep it amongst themselves if you don't interfere. I think general scumbag feuds are worse. I wonder what a combination would be like, worst of both I suppose.

That said, put them all on the Saltee Islands and charge tourists €5 a minute to look at the feud through a telescope from the safety of the mainland.

Well yes , There has been a couple of small incidents so far , Bins set on fire, a bit of a face off and a burning rag being pushed into a house in the middle of the day I might add , House raided looking for gun and Ballybricken thingy [90percent sure involved these people],I know its small incidents at the moment but its only going to get bigger and more violent IMO . I cannot see any of these sides backing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bad as the traveller feuds are they sort of have rules in that they normally keep it amongst themselves if you don't interfere.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Haven't they managed to burn down or attack the wrong house(s) already? What about the car incident in John St where they rammed each other at high speed - anyone could've been hurt.

Truth is, if they gave a fcuk about what the general public thought, they'd have stopped all this bullsh*t a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

angry_fox wrote: »
    how do you know its travellers? havent heard anyone talking about the above mentioned incidents, would have thought they would get some mention in the press, have you tried ringing the munster express or any local press to confirm what you have heard

How do i know its travellers ? Aquos76 answered that in relation to burnt out house anyway and 1 of reasons i started this thread was to see if people knew what was goin on as in my post i said "I also think the media are told to not cover most incidents unless really serious"

I dont need to be ringing munster express to be checking on the house fire as it was on wlr and as for the shooting whittler has clarified it did happen and yet no mention in papers i did also say i did not know if that was connected to traveller feud , im sure someone will come on here soon to say they heard about the horse yesterday too but yet again most of waterford never find out as local media dont cover it .

I live close enough to the carricphierish rd and i did see the travellers up their yesterday evening bringing all their horses up the road close to their houses just after i got phone call saying in his words "a horse was mutilated out in williamstown" where its no coincidence another group of travellers live not the first time a horse has bein attacked either. Its A shame these animals get the raw deal of a bitter feud between their owners and others.

gscully wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Haven't they managed to burn down or attack the wrong house(s) already? What about the car incident in John St where they rammed each other at high speed - anyone could've been hurt.

I was in Geoff's at the time, it provided great entertainment :)

Seriously though, I think they out of hand. But why would you stop if you be out of prison in 12 months anyway.

Apart from my Saltee Islands suggestion this is what I'd do.

Lock them away for a proper length of time. During the first 5 years no visits and only communication by letter (which can read by wardens) maybe once or twice a week. This will mean its hard for gang leaders to maintain contact with their gang, so when they are eventually released it won't reignite things. Also when they are released maybe ban them from living in the same area as their gang?

Also more money should be put into prisons to keep them drug free, and no TV or films or weight lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

the only thing that came of it the last time a massive tax bill from all the damage caused, no one went to jail or even got a telling off. what will it take some member of the public to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to either get run over or run through with a knife. not to go off subject but them horse and cart type things on the ORR are a accendent waiting to happen

Seems this paticular feud between two known families is hitting boiling point , i heard guns were involved last night its bein goin on a while now...

"A man was arrested in Waterford early this morning after a garda chase in Ballybeg in the City.

A group of people wearing balaclavas and dark clothes entered a house in Ballybeg
    and after a 999 call gardai dispatched a number of units to the area.

When they arrived gardai saw up to twelve people running from the scene and
    gardai gave chase on foot.

One man was arrested and is being detained at Waterford Garda Station under section 30 of the offences against the state act.

On Wednesday night two cars outside the house had been damaged.

Gardai believe this is part of an ongoing fued between a number of families."

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/4670/A-man-is-arrested-after-up-to-twelve-people-wearin.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

jo06555 wrote: »
    Seems this paticular feud between two known families is hitting boiling point , i heard guns were involved last night its bein goin on a while now...

"A man was arrested in Waterford early this morning after a garda chase in Ballybeg in the City.

A group of people wearing balaclavas and dark clothes entered a house in Ballybeg
    and after a 999 call gardai dispatched a number of units to the area.

When they arrived gardai saw up to twelve people running from the scene and
    gardai gave chase on foot.
    One man was arrested and is being detained at Waterford Garda Station under section 30 of the offences against the state act.

On Wednesday night two cars outside the house had been damaged.

Gardai believe this is part of an ongoing fued between a number of families."
    http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/4670/A-man-is-arrested-after-up-to-twelve-people-wearin.aspx

I thought they had all grown up at this stage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

That's bloody scary! :eek:

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I thought they had all grown up at this stage??

Ye i know , a friend said to me its probably their kids or the younger brothers trying to keep their family name out their i not so sure . Some may remember many years ago a member of one of these familys getting a long sentence for a bad crime in tramore , im not so sure if he is involved as much in this feud but if is we can all assume worse things could be ahead.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

deisedevil wrote: »
    That's bloody scary! :eek:
    no! thats bloody scum!

put them all into a big warehouse and lock the doors....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The feud that is best known in Limerick is now "generational", I imagine they have all forgotton what started it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would be friends with some lads involved in this, well friends with 1 or 2, but i know plenty of them and if it kicks off it could be a nightmare for the city. im really hoping this settles but i cant see it happening myself

alot of the guys in the family dont want trouble anymore but pride, business and the family name will force them to act. thats just the way it is unfortunately

kryogen wrote: »
    I would be friends with some lads involved in this, well friends with 1 or 2, but i know plenty of them and if it kicks off it could be a nightmare for the city. im really hoping this settles but i cant see it happening myself

alot of the guys in the family dont want trouble anymore but pride, business and the family name will force them to act. thats just the way it is unfortunately

Legitimate business, or the other sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

if you type Ballybeg into Wikipedia the names of feuding families come up on it.ridiculous.like someone else said, throw them all in a ****ing field or something and let them kill each other and leave everyone else out of it

pride my bollochs

• Advertisement

Ye i know of the two families but i would not know them to talk to or anything, a friend would know people close to the feud tells me it could go alot worse as both families will not step down and incidents are getting alot worse between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I know a lot of the people involved in this personally,and it wont be a nightmare for the city,i dont know where your getting that they dont want trouble anymore,if that were true then they would not have done what they done to that house in Ballybeg a few months ago.
    snuggles09 wrote: »
    if you type Ballybeg into Wikipedia the names of feuding families come up on it.ridiculous.like someone else said, throw them all in a ****ing field or something and let them kill each other and leave everyone else out of it

pride my bollochs

Thats not the two families involved,just one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Out of sheer curiosity i looked up ballybeg on wiki and came across this gem: The area consists of four council housing estate - Ballybeg, Priory Lawn, Clonard Park and Ardmore Park, and a private housing estate, Glencarra, and is the largest single housing area in Waterford city, with a population of nearly 375,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Out of sheer curiosity i looked up ballybeg on wiki and came across this gem: The area consists of four council housing estate - Ballybeg, Priory Lawn, Clonard Park and Ardmore Park, and a private housing estate, Glencarra, and is the largest single housing area in Waterford city, with a population of nearly 375,000

Dont think its that high bud, remember never reference from wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

snuggles09 wrote: »
    throw them all in a ****ing field or something and let them kill each other and leave everyone else out of it

Have the perfect place.

Kidnap them all, knock them out, number them and ferry them all here.

Hide a few weapons around the place, install a few cameras and give Sky Sports the pay-per-view rights. Paddy Power can handle the betting. Last person standing wins a t-shirt.

plainwhitetshirtpsd2175.png

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

Good idea and you could call it '' im a kn#####r get me outa here''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

angry_fox wrote: »
    Dont think its that high bud, remember never reference from wikipedia

Haha. Considering it's about 7 times the population of the city, I think it's a tad high. Knocking two zeros off it wouldn't put you too far off though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

The "Location and access" section is class......

"There have been issues with unauthorised caravan parking, and dumping, in the vicinity.However the ongoing fueding in the area cannot be attributed to the k****rs as this is down to the C******* and M**** families"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballybeg,_County_Waterford

Its not on wlr website yet but its on the news , man stabbed in ballybeg after 3 masked men enter house in ballybeg , in relation to family feud.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-arrested-after-waterford-stabbing-473497.html

• Advertisement

There is a strong garda presence in Ballybeg in Waterford City at the moment following the escalation of a family feud which has led to a number of arrests.
    The latest incident involved an attack on a man in his twenties who was stabbed last night.
    It happened at about half past ten when three men wearing balaclavas entered into the sitting room
    of a house in Ardmore Park.
    The victim who suffered lacerations to both arms, shoulder and forehead was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital - his injuries aren't believed to be life threatening.
    The scene has been preserved for a technical examination..
    In a follow up operation in the city this morning, Gardai arrested two males aged 24
    and 34 for questioning about the attack. They are being held under section 30 of the offences against the state act at Waterford Garda Station.
    Meanwhile another man was arrested in connection with an incident in Ballybeg last week.
    He was arrested at six am this morning under section four of the criminial justice act and is being questioned in Tramore
    The increase in attacks has led to the armed response garda unit from Cork being deployed in the area.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/4687/Gardai-patrol-Ballybeg-as-feud-escalates.aspx

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-arrested-after-waterford-stabbing-473497.html

Advertisement