Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accused of Being Noisy on a Train

• 15-06-2010 8:39pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This morning, I took the train from Dublin to Wexford town to attend a friend's father's funeral. I was minding my own business, as I always do and reading my newspaper.

At Rathdrum, a young woman got on and sat in the seat bay in front of mine. I was eating a packet of crisps and within 3 or 4 minutes she abruptly turned around and told me that I was making far too much noise and to stop immediately. I was stunned but had nothing to say.:confused: So I put the crisps away and left it at that.

Later, approaching Wexford town, I was listening to my iPod with my headphones and she again turned around and told me that I was a major nuisance and that I was disrupting everyone in the carriage. :mad: I was insulted as I was not making any noise, so I got very annoyed and as I was getting up to disembark, I told her that she had a real nerve to make those remarks to me and how dare she?:mad:

What is wrong with some people? I am always considerate of others and not disturbing anyone but this was simply unbelievable. Was she mad? Or just looking for trouble?:confused::(

Has this happened anyone else? And has it happened on the Dublin to Wexford train recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

PMT probably....forget it...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

corktina wrote: »
    PMT probably....forget it...

Would PMT be so bad as to cause someone to insult a complete stranger with a false accusation?:confused:

I've a feeling I'm not the only one this woman has made bang out of order comments to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps she was a few slices short of a loaf - you get people like that. Sadly they seem to be attracted to public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CK75

Dont worry - she probably was having a bad day - just be glad you arent her husband!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

I heard a story from a girl in work who commutes to the city on the train about a nasty lady who kept whacking everyone with her handbag....attention seeker me thinks !!

I know how you feel JupiterKid, ppl like that annoy me to....I sat next to a pregnant lady (though she had a big coat on so she may have been on overweight) on the bus one morning and all she did was tug at her coat (as if I was sitting on it - I wasn't) and tut all the way...I rolled my eyes and increased the volume on my ipod..

With the crisps incident...that was bit much....I would've proceeded to eat away and tell her to close her ears if she didnt like it....who gives her the right to tell you you can't eat your crisps....someone was having a bad day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Sad to hear you were unfairly accused of this.

However, there are some people I would love to have this woman meet on Drogheda - Connolly line. There's this guy who gets in soon after Drogheda who stinks of smoke like hell! The stench is unbearable from four rows of seats away! And a number of people with their headphones on, which in fact is as loud as a pocket radio - couple of them are just showing off their new iPhones with crappy headphones that leak sound all over the place..!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

positron wrote: »
    Sad to hear you were unfairly accused of this.

However, there are some people I would love to have this woman meet on Drogheda - Connolly line. There's this guy who gets in soon after Drogheda who stinks of smoke like hell! The stench is unbearable from four rows of seats away! And a number of people with their headphones on, which in fact is as loud as a pocket radio - couple of them are just showing off their new iPhones with crappy headphones that leak sound all over the place..!! :rolleyes:

If someone annoys you on a train, this usually provides instant satisfaction.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This morning, I took the train from Dublin to Wexford town to attend a friend's father's funeral. I was minding my own business, as I always do and reading my newspaper.

At Rathdrum, a young woman got on and sat in the seat bay in front of mine. I was eating a packet of crisps and within 3 or 4 minutes she abruptly turned around and told me that I was making far too much noise and to stop immediately. I was stunned but had nothing to say.:confused: So I put the crisps away and left it at that.

Later, approaching Wexford town, I was listening to my iPod with my headphones and she again turned around and told me that I was a major nuisance and that I was disrupting everyone in the carriage. :mad: I was insulted as I was not making any noise, so I got very annoyed and as I was getting up to disembark, I told her that she had a real nerve to make those remarks to me and how dare she?:mad:

What is wrong with some people? I am always considerate of others and not disturbing anyone but this was simply unbelievable. Was she mad? Or just looking for trouble?:confused::(

Has this happened anyone else? And has it happened on the Dublin to Wexford train recently?

Dogs have sensitive Hearing.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Reminds me of a time I was on the Rapid Express bus from Waterford to Dublin in the mid 90s.

I was the only person on the bus until a young lad got on and sat right behind me listening to speed metal on his walkman whilst smoking spliffs the whole way to Dublin.

I was amused then, probably wouldn't be now.

Thing was, I was as quiet as a church mouse. I really was. Just reading the Irish Times, doing the crossword puzzle and then listening to my iPod at a medium level with the head phones.

Now that I think of it, when she got on the train, she looked around somewhat nervously and I think she stared at me for a few seconds.:confused:

The young woman in question looked respectable and normal. But she must have had psychological issues to do what she did.:(

Should I phone IE and tell them what happened? I still feel a bit hurt by this incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Thing was, I was as quiet as a church mouse. I really was. Just reading the Irish Times, doing the crossword puzzle and then listening to my iPod at a medium level with the head phones.

Now that I think of it, when she got on the train, she looked around somewhat nervously and I think she stared at me for a few seconds.:confused:

The young woman in question looked respectable and normal. But she must have had psychological issues to do what she did.:(

Should I phone IE and tell them what happened? I still feel a bit hurt by this incident.

unfortunately there is nothing IE can do about it and although it was a shocking incident for you, you will have to chalk it up as one of those life experiences and an unpleasant one at that :(

goes to show there are quite a few nutters out their just be grateful your not one of them :D

on and in the future what i do with my ipod on is just not make eye contact with anyone that way nobody can say anything to you and even though i dont have it that high and can still hear people i just pretend i cant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

JHMEG wrote: »
    Reminds me of a time I was on the Rapid Express bus from Waterford to Dublin in the mid 90s.

I was the only person on the bus until a young lad got on and sat right behind me listening to speed metal on his walkman whilst smoking spliffs the whole way to Dublin.

I was amused then, probably wouldn't be now.

Speed metal and spliff's one fcuked up kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe you're a loud chewer?

(;))

bryaner wrote: »
    Speed metal and spliff's one fcuked up kid!

It's for those who can't afford LSD or something more trippy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Come on OP you're a grown man, why didn't you just tell the young woman in question where to go?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would have told her, VERY loudly 'I don't know you so find someone else to annoy and leave me alone'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

One of the facts of the world is that some people are just gob****es, I think you ran into one of them.

I remember one evening I was on the luas as it pulled in to Beechwood stop. There were about 5 people waiting by the door, and a woman was trying to push her way past a teenage boy. He said to her "I'm getting off here too" and she replied in the most snooty voice "yes but you are too slow" and pushed him out of the way and continued walking up through the tram. Funnily enough the boy was standing right beside the door which this woman did not seem to notice as her head was held up so high and as the door opened her forceful stride slowed as the realisation dawned on her. She ended up having to run back to the door and before it closed again, and was the last person to get off. As the doors closed most of the people in the vicinity had a quick laugh, great to see somebody getting their comeuppance instantly. It doesn't always happen instantly OP, but one day the woman who was rude to you will reap what she has sewn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

should have told her to **** off and mind her own business. nothing wrong with being noisy on the train anyway

should have told her to **** off and mind her own business. nothing wrong with being noisy on the train anyway

Oh, I very much did. Not the first time when she told me to stop eating the crisps. I was too shocked. But when she turned around again near the end of my journey I had it out with the stupid cow.

I told her she had some nerve to make those allegations that I was disrupting the entire carriage with my "noise" and told her "how dare you!!":pac:

Thanks for all the comments guys. She definitely must have a screw loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

Bizarre, considering there's a lot worse out there, e.g. the extremely loud and drunk scumbags who I often see on Intercity trains. The loudest I've ever seen was a Dublin Hen Party on the way to Galway. They had guzzled about two bottles of Weight Watchers Riesling each and a few bottles of bud from the bar before we even arrived there.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    ...often see on Intercity trains

Absolutely. Yesterday 8:50pm's Enterprise service to Belfast had a bunch of middle aged men drinking and roaring at the top of their voice as if they are at some nightclub! And then to make matters worse, a pair of women planted themselves on the seat adjacent to me, and each opened their bag of fish and chips!! The assault on senses in such a confined space on a warm evening was something else!!

I wish people learned some public transport manners from the Japanese!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone read the topical letter in the Indo today?

With all the boo hoo hoo about the ear-splitting din of the African vuvuzelas, what about our own vuvuzela-players? Mobile phone blasters.
    On the train to Longford this boisterous, chatty lady seated behind me split my ears for half an hour, chatting into her mobile, until I finally had to ask her if her conversation was going to continue all the way to Longford.
    And, on the return journey, a man gave all the carriage the pleasure of listening to his moaning wife, with the mobile's volume turned up. These are only two of hundreds of similar experiences I have endured.
    In the UK, they have carriages from which the mobile phone is banned.
    It wouldn't be as bad if people were just passing on a brief message, but unfortunately the bulk of these vuvuzelians inflict a long, droning cacophony.
    Would these vuvuzelians please take a hint from their own World Cup experience and realise that they are torturing their fellow travellers.
    Victor Feldman
    Ringsend, Dublin 4

Quite ironice that his first name is Victor! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Heroditas wrote: »

[/I]

it is much worse on busses where you are much closer to the nattering chattering vuvuzelains who will easily talk VERY LOUDLY all the way from dublin to carlow on the 8.44pm and 11.15pm jj kavanaghs busses and bus eireann also gets its fair share of mobile screamers but at least some of their busses have signs banning mobile use in the first few rows of seats!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Those 'quiet carriages' in the UK are a great idea, but they strictly enforce them, the steward politely asking offenders to leave or stop their noise.
    Here, they won't even root people out of your pre-booked seat.

This is what I found preposterous about the situation I was in.

I'm well used to hearing people singing, shouting, drinking (usually all together) and acting boisterous on trains, and I put up with it for the sake of peace but it's unfair on the other passengers.

In my case I was eating crisps for about 5 mins, reading my newspaper and listening to my iPod on medium with headphones and this woman a whole seating bay in front of me complains??:confused::confused::mad:

I'd love to see what this little madam would have done on a train full of drunken stags and hens.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

what a stupid attention seeking bitch.you did nothing wrong.i wouldn't worry about it.she probably hates herself and just loves to inflict hardship on people for no reason.tramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Personally, I would have turned the iPod up to full volume and told yer wan to feck right off.

Heroditas wrote: »

[/I]

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28713

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I remember travelling on the 20:00 Cork-Heuston last summer and an annoucement was made that all carraiges except the rear most carraige were quiet carraiges- and that loud music, phone calls were to be avoided! The automatic annoucements didnt play either, just the scrolling text. Was pretty nice too-everyone in the carraige observed the request.

• Advertisement

I remember travelling on the 20:00 Cork-Heuston last summer and an annoucement was made that all carraiges except the rear most carraige were quiet carraiges- and that loud music, phone calls were to be avoided! The automatic annoucements didnt play either, just the scrolling text. Was pretty nice too-everyone in the carraige observed the request.
    it is usually the other way around with the quiet carriage being the one nearest to the engine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Oh, I very much did. Not the first time when she told me to stop eating the crisps. I was too shocked. But when she turned around again near the end of my journey I had it out with the stupid cow.

I told her she had some nerve to make those allegations that I was disrupting the entire carriage with my "noise" and told her "how dare you!!":pac:

Thanks for all the comments guys. She definitely must have a screw loose.

Jeez, you sound like a right drama queen. Some woman told you to be quiet on the train and you're going on like it's the end of the world. Take a deep breath and get over it.

Jeez, you sound like a right drama queen. Some woman told you to be quiet on the train and you're going on like it's the end of the world. Take a deep breath and get over it.

Hello? When you're as quiet as a mouse and someone accuses you of being noisy it bloody well is something to get annoyed about.

I like the idea of quiet train carriages. But they probably wouldn't be quiet enough for that little bint...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

Wtf... what was up with her.. I do admit, I hate when people have ipods on a high volume as you can't not hear what they are listening to, I would never moan at someone about it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

spurious wrote: »
    Those 'quiet carriages' in the UK are a great idea, but they strictly enforce them, the steward politely asking offenders to leave or stop their noise.

Yeah, right. They also reserve groups travelling on a Family Railcard in the Quiet coach (even when there is a family coach on the same train, but you cannot specify a reservation in the same on several operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

You should have finished your crisps then blew up the bag and BANG. Then she would hat known you meant business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps she was a few slices short of a loaf - you get people like that. Sadly they seem to be attracted to public transport.
    They are hardly going to be driving round in Mercedes' now, are they?

CiaranC wrote: »
    They are hardly going to be driving round in Mercedes' now, are they?
    all to many of them are! and many even have garda drivers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

crisps sounds crazy alright OP however regarding the IPOD was it on full volume or close enough to it?

I've had people sitting beside me listening to heavy metal/Dance/Other types of music and at full volume and other passengers can hear that (even though its an IPOD/MP3 if you have it loud enough other people can hear it) and its very annoying and TBH if that was the case then I think she should have politely asked you to turn the volume down please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Were you using the supplied earphones with your ipod? They have to be the leakiest most annoying earphones available, most of the sound goes out rather than in which leads to people putting the volume up so it ends up annoying more people. Having said all that, i'd probably just look askance rather than give out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

JHMEG wrote: »
    Comreg would have you up in court for having such a device.

• Advertisement

if someone's ipod or other music was too loud on a bus or train i would first ask them to turn it down then if they dont bring it to the attention of the driver or conductor. we should not have to put up with noisy crisp munchers on public transport but i would not lose the plot and go loopy in front of everyone!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if someone's ipod or other music was too loud on a bus or train i would first ask them to turn it down then if they dont bring it to the attention of the driver or conductor. we should not have to put up with noisy crisp munchers on public transport but i would not lose the plot and go loopy in front of everyone!

No, my iPod was only at about 50% volume. Actually it was my new iPhone I was listening to. The thing is that she was sitting a full seating bay in front of me, i.e. about 2 metres (or 6 feet or so) away...

I've come to the conclusion that she had some kind of psychological issues like acute paranoia and took it out on me. Such is life...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

there was a time you could have a sing song and a bit of crack on the train, maybe all the new carriages makes people feel as if they are on a very posh train. Anyone ever on the trains in singapore, they are called the M.R.T, You could hear a pin drop on them. Packed out to the brim and not a word is said

i dont mind a bit of craic on the train but many people are just too threatening when they get a few cans of butch gold or devils bit into them and get so noisy it frightens others on the train!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i dont mind a bit of craic on the train..

And of course everyone's "craic threshold" is different, and I can not stand people who speak too loud / shout on trains - train is not a pub! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They should stop serving alcohol then.

I don't see why. Responsibility is with the consumer, and consuming alcohol does not require one to be loud and noisy and nuisance to others! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Haddockman wrote: »
    They should stop serving alcohol then.

why?

its about the only advantage a train has for me over driving down the country.

Advertisement