Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa World Rankings

• 15-06-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just been checkin out the fifa world rankings here, and just wondering what peoples thoughts on them are? some positions are suprising.

I originally wanted to check what the highest ranking team who werent in the WC are, that was Croatia at #10

then i noticed Egypt were ranked #12, I never would have guessed that.

We're #41, just ahead of Gabon, who i've never heard of.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=193

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Spain should be number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Dean820 wrote: »
    Spain should be number 1.

In 3 weeks time we'll know who's number 1 for sure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

How North Korea are only 105 I'll never understand!

The rankings are flawed, and only useful for when FIFA and UEFA wants to rig playoff draws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

In addition to a load of coefficients and stuff, rankings are also worked on past performances in qualifying for major tournaments, hence why Ireland's is so poor (not qualified for a major tournament since 2002) and why Croatia's would be so high (despite not qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, they've done alright through the Noughties).

But yes, mostly used by FIFA and so on to rig seeded draws...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Strange to look at alright, Greece are 13th - I thought they were the worst team I've watched so far in the WC. Then South Korea, who tore them apart and apart from Germany impressed me most, are down at 47th. 10, 11 and 12 aren't even at the world cup, and Portugal third?! Definately doesn't seem to be the most accurate system but then again how else would you do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

04072511 wrote: »
    How North Korea are only 105 I'll never understand!

The rankings are flawed
    So's judging a team on one match :p

They're not perfect - but it's very hard when teams play so many matches against teams from their own regions for qualification and regional tournaments. You can always follow these alternative rankings instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

that has scotland as number 1 hah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    Hey,

then i noticed Egypt were ranked #12, I never would have guessed that.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=193

Egypt are actually very, very good. It's a shame they aren't at the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RichTea wrote: »
    Egypt are actually very, very good. It's a shame they aren't at the World Cup.

They can't be that good if they didn't qualify, a bit like us really. I know we were robbed by France, but we had plenty of games before the final one to ensure qualification. Typically we couldn't of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

They can't be that good if they didn't qualify, a bit like us really. I know we were robbed by France, but we had plenty of games before the final one to ensure qualification. Typically we couldn't of course.

The only reason they didn't qualify is because they were ambushed in the most tense match in history by a jammy Algeria. They've won the last two African Cup of Nations and are the best team from Africa in terms of organisation and squad chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Burkina Faso up 4 places to 48. Yaaaay. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Egypt are world-class chokers. They win the ACN time and again but haven't made the WC since 1990.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I find the Elo Ratings to be much more accurate:
    http://www.eloratings.net/world.html
    (scroll down past the results on the page for the rankings)

The Ivory Coast moved above us yesterday so we're down to 24th now, Greece are ranked 43rd which sounds about right...

Advertisement