Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Digital camera making strange noise!

Options
  • 15-06-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am off on hols thursday so time is very tight.

On Friday last I bought a digital camera: Samsung ST61 from Currys in Limerick.

I took it out of box yesterday (and threw box etc away of course :rolleyes:) and charged it up last night. About 30mins ago I turned on camera and I am impressed with the quality, but every time I zoom into something, this strange noise (something internal) comes on - its not the whir of the zoom-its something else. It doesnt happen when I zoon out. I dont remember hearing this when I was in the shop testing it.

I dont know what to do - is this normal? If I go back to shop, have I rights? I have receipt. Am very stuck for time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

bring it back!!! ASAP if you think there is something wrong with it for gods sake!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

See I dont know if there is something wrong with it.

the best way I can describe it is that when I zoom out (and it whirrs to move out) for about 5/10 seconds afterward there is - I dunno - like a clicking sound or something.

Is this normal??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Check out the photography forum and ask an opinion on the make/model

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

ust bring it back, one of the sales people should hopefully be able to tell you if it is wrong, if it is faulty all they'll should do is take a new camera out the box and return the faulty one in that box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Threw away the box before knowing it was working?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Smcgie wrote: »
    Threw away the box before knowing it was working?!?

If it's faulty it's faulty, the box doesn't make a difference as the OP would have the same rights to a repair/replacement/refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It could be the normal noise of the camera - each one is different. You may not have noticed it in the louder environment of a shop. Unless the zoom stops or there is a problem with image quality then I would not worry about it.

If it is faulty though I can tell you now that there is not a hope in hell of Currys offering you a replacement on the spot. My guess is that they will send it away for repair. Then after a number of weeks you'll have to pester them for an update. This will go on for some time until you get your camera back in the same condition you gave it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dotsyx

If it was bought last Friday and it's faulty they will swap it over on the spot for the OP. Have had it before with a camera from them. I'd imagine they operate a 28 day policy on swapping lower price items such as cameras out, like most places, as a friend's camera had to be sent away - but she went back 5 months after purchase with her fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks for the replies guys...

I went back to the shop - the demo was making that noise too - so you are right in the shop noise I didnt notice it...
    its to do with the auto focus.

In anycase, they said they would swap it for a new one again so I had a black one and now I have a red one! Dinky camera. Thanks currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Good result from Currys then, good to hear that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement