Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male cat pee scent ..driving me mad!

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ive been feeding a stray cat for the last week or so and he must have gotten into the apartment while i was out today (left the window open). Hes not neutered and must have sprayed somewhere because the place wreaks :eek:

I looooove cats...but really hate the Tomcat scent. Any ideas what i can do to get rid of it seeing as i have no idea where hes sprayed, or how long will it take to go if at all? Candles galore lighting here at the min!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

anniehoo wrote: »
    Ive been feeding a stray cat for the last week or so and he must have gotten into the apartment while i was out today (left the window open). Hes not neutered and must have sprayed somewhere because the place wreaks :eek:

I looooove cats...but really hate the Tomcat scent. Any ideas what i can do to get rid of it seeing as i have no idea where hes sprayed, or how long will it take to go if at all? Candles galore lighting here at the min!

Same thing here! I realise that the **** must be coming into the bedroom while I am asleep; thought my two, who have free access, were eating a lot..

It wore off last time; never did find where he had sprayed that time; before that it was the curtains he zapped. Usually cloth; sniff round the chairs etc!!! Vinegar does work? I just threw the curtains in the machine that time.

So now the bedroom window stays closed at night and a window at the back is open; if he tries that the dog will sort him...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Graces7 wrote: »
    It wore off last time;...
    Grand! It really is awful though..even though i love the little critters they really do emit vile smells sometimes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

i'd try an enzymatic solution such as 'four paws' or 'simple solution' brand , availiable at most pet shops to neutralise the smell. Yes, of course you have to find the scent first so i'll suggest the following.
    there is a product called 'Stink finder' that is basically a black light (like the ones used to detect counterfit money) that when shone on an area containing dog/cat urine it will show up.I think any 'black light' will do but don't quote me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Good idea! Any blacklight will pick it up.... and afterwards, when you get rid of the smell, you can throw a 70s party with your groovy blacklight!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Clean it with persil or ariel biological washing powder mixed fully with warm 40C (not too hot as the enzymes work best in warm water)

The enzymes in the laundry detergent breakdown the smelly proteins in the cat pee.

Persil seems to work best, I think it might be because it contains lipase which breaks down fats.

It HAS to be the biological powder version. I tried liquid and it doesn't do the same job. I looked up the ingredients and the powders have a few extra enzymes.

It kills the cat pee and leaves a pleasant scent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement