Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Notes .....

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Has anyone got a copy of the notes. I am about to start a career in electrical work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Can anyone email me a copy of the Notes for Phase 4, 5 and Phase 6 Please.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If you are only starting the apprenticeship then you need notes for phase 2 not 4 and 6.No point in running before you can walk so to speak so just concentrate on phase 2 for now.The notes for phase 2 are 4 fairly large books so emailing them is unlikely.They are based on the books "electrical craft principles 1 and 2" by john whitfield.Buy those books and your sorted.they also have material for phase 4 and 6 included

Phase 5 is an on the job phase so no notes required

I have done a degree in engineering so I am not really starting from scratch. I would like to learn more on the PLC material.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Siemens is a very popular brand of PLC used in Ireland and they have a very good website with good free online self-study courses. See link below.

http://www3.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html

If you have a degree in Electronic Engineering then the notes you're looking for should be of little value to you as they're much too basic.

There is a huge amount of free-to-view material on control systems, PLC's, automation and instrumentation on the net...you just have to look. That said, the best way to learn is hands-on.

Download a free copy of the siemens programming software Simatic S7 lite from the link below and give it a go. There are on-line manuals and tutorials galore all over the internet.

http://www.s7tools.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45

Have fun!

If you have any notes I'd be still grateful as I would like to keep revising and pick up new material. Thanks for the links though. They will get me started :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Very good links Philistine!

2011 wrote: »
    Very good links Philistine!

thanks 2011.

I usually lurk around the photography and computer forums to pick up tips and tricks for my hobbies but its nice to be able to share some of my experience with others.

If you have any notes I'd be still grateful as I would like to keep revising and pick up new material. Thanks for the links though. They will get me started :-)

Noseymike2010, I began my apprenticeship as a maintenance electrician in 1990 so any notes i might have burried in the attic will be of little relevance today.
    Seriously though, as I've already said, the notes for whatever phase of the electrical apprenticeship you are looking for are of little use in the real world. I do this for a living so trust me. The links I posted earlier are more than just a start.
    Kevin Street DIT run a basic PLC night course, and the very first thing they tell you when you start is that if you go on to do the next (advanced) course you will be told to forget everything you learned in the first course because it is of no relevance to whats used in industry. The notes you seek are for the first (basic) course.
    If you genuinely want to learn how to program PLC's, download Siemens Simatic Step7 Lite (as per my previous post) and start learning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Seriously though, as I've already said, the notes for whatever phase of the electrical apprenticeship you are looking for are of little use in the real world. I do this for a living so trust me. The links I posted earlier are more than just a start.
    That was my first PLC course too many moons ago. Great course, it got me hooked.

Advertisement