Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea's for a retaining Wall

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi just started building, and at the back of the site i've got this lovely 13ft bank,so i'm using my garage to blockout the highest corner,and pulling the bank down on top of it, building the outside wall 4"on the flat and 4"onits edge total 13" which should do the trick,then covering the wall with radon( for damp reasons) and then land drainage at the bottom covered with clean stone.

So i'm looking for ideas for the retaining wall which has to be built for the rest,anything considered with web sites links or pictures, they speak a thousand words

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Please get an Engineer's advice, even if it means you have to pay for one. For your own sake if not for the safety of anyone else that may use this space. 13ft is a fairly substantial retaining wall on a domestic project. I have built loads of retaining walls over the years and anything thats retaining more than 3-4 feet of soil needs to be carefully thought out. There is no way I would build it the way you are talking about. 13ft walls should almost definitely be built in reinforced mass concrete. There are other retaining wall systems such as Macaferri or Acheson/Glover retaining wall systems but again seek an Engineer's guidance if you are an amateur or novice builder. Gabion baskets are another system you would often see on railway embankments and motorways.

http://www.acheson-glover.com/constructionpro/retaining_walls/
    http://www.maccaferri.co.uk/PAGES00189.html

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good advice wirehairmax.

Im sorry but we aren't going to go down the route of discussing structural detailing. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement