Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darko's Recently Viewed Diary

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:32pm

Given that I spend a large portion of my life watching horror films I felt that perhaps I should contribute to this movement.

The Monster Squad
    While some may quest in the inclusion of the Monster Squad in the horror genre it really doesn't belong anywhere else. featuring Dracula, the Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster and the Gill Man it's a delightfully fun kids film from a time in which death and scares weren't uncommon in films aimed at the under 12s. That it has such broad appeal, appealing as it does to both kids and adults alike is down to the truly superb screenplay by Fred Dekker and Shane Black.

It's pure unadulterated fun which is immensly rewatchble and features what is perhaps the definitive Dracula.

Comments

Sorority Row - I really, really enjoyed this. The kills were fun, the acting spot on, it never dragged and there were enough twists and turns to keep me interested. It's never going to be considered a classic of the genre but for a remake of a largely forgotten 80s horror its damn good. The story is pretty much I Know What You Did Last Sorority Party but it works and tbh at the end of the day it's unassuming fun which really delivers it's share of fun and when compared to the likes of the Prom Night remake it's Oscar material.

The cinematography in the opening scene is superb and features some truly jaw dropping shots.

Storm Warning - Another in the recent trend of Australian horror. Storm Warning written by genre master Everett De Roche who wrote Patrick and the Long Weekend is one of the more entertaiing two city types get lost in the boondocks and stumble across a family of sadistic redneck films of late. What separates it from the numerous others is the quality of the writing and some great acting from David Lyons.

While it does take nearly an hour for anyone to die, it's well worth it. The deaths are inventive and nasty as hell with some great practical effects.

The House of the Devil - Wow, just wow. The House of the Devil is for want of a better word the perfect old school horror film.

It features a truly unnerving atmosphere, a slow delicate build up, spot on performances and gorgeous cinematography. Shot to resemble an 80s horror film which is does superbly it is a real throw back of the suspense horror or yesteryear. There is little in the way of gore or violence for the vast majority of the run time relying instead on a truly amazing central performance and a great atmosphere of true horror.

I really can't remember the last time a horror film has left me staring at the screen and thinking that I can't wait to re-watch it. It's just a truly magnificent achievement and one which I really do wish had played cinemas here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The House of the Devil - Wow, just wow. The House of the Devil is for want of a better word the perfect old school horror film.

It features a truly unnerving atmosphere, a slow delicate build up, spot on performances and gorgeous cinematography. Shot to resemble an 80s horror film which is does superbly it is a real throw back of the suspense horror or yesteryear. There is little in the way of gore or violence for the vast majority of the run time relying instead on a truly amazing central performance and a great atmosphere of true horror.

I really can't remember the last time a horror film has left me staring at the screen and thinking that I can't wait to re-watch it. It's just a truly magnificent achievement and one which I really do wish had played cinemas here.

Heh just watched House of the Devil last night :) Fascinating film. I had heard good things and picked up impulsively when I saw it on Greta Gerwig's IMDB after watching Greenberg. It's really quite good. I absolutely loved the opening credits, how fantastically retro. I loved the 'father' of the house, his voice in those phone-calls was just so unnerving. I loved the few scares they had
    (I said '****!' aloud when Gerwig got shot in the face, and the image of the family sacraficed on the pentagram).
    I loved that the director was brave enough to focus on the creeping dread right until the very end. I loved how cheesy and yet demented the ending was too.

Really liked it, a superb emulation and homage to a very specific genre and style. Plus, Jocelin Donahue is awesome :)

Thir13en Ghosts - One of those real love it or hate it films it would seem and while I don't entirely love it I certainly don't hate it. It's old-fashioned fun with enough fun deaths and truly stunning creature design to ensure a good time. A higher body count would have been appreciated,
    would have liked to see at least one of the kids die as well as the nanny
    but what deaths we see are gory and fun.

• Advertisement

The Forsaken - One of those fondly remembered horror films of my youth, it's not, big, it's not clever but it is rather fun. The story is pretty much the Lost Boys meets Vampires and while there is some strained acting, a number of plot holes and it can look very cheap it's still a lot of fun.

The Cell - Visually one of the most astonishing films I've seen in a long time though considering it's Tarsem Singh that's to be expected. Some of the grotesque environments within Carl's mind were both beautiful and grotesque. The performances were a little underwhelming at times, Lopez really should have been recast and it's odd seeing Vaughn in the serious hero role considering how his career has gone. The real stand out is Vincent D'Onofrio who is absolutely fantastic.

The film is currently 4 euro in Xtravision and is well worth investing in.

Dark Floors - I'm not sure yet if I liked this or not but the one thing I can say is that some of the cinematography was amazing.

Unlike many films starring bands, in this case Lordi the film isn't a hastily made and cheesy romp but rather a very professional, expertly shot horror film. THe greatest weakness is that for large portions of the run time our heroes do little but wander down dark corridors. The film starts off strongly but the repetitive nature of the script really makes the entire thing fell a hell of a lot longer than its 81 minute run time.

One thing which really annoyed me was that each band members gets his own scene in which he appears menacing, bath in shadow only to be defeated in the most ridiculously easy of ways. We have these great looking creatures but between them they spend maybe 5 minutes of the run time on screen.

Phenomena - How can you not love any film in which
    a monkey uses a staright razor to repeatedly slash a womans face.
    Yes, Phenomena is pure unadulteraded 80s Argento cheese, full of ridicolous plotting, dreadful dialogue, numerous plots holes and every other cliche in Argentos repetoir.

Yet it's never less than watchable, the ludicrous kills, dream sequences and great score all make Phenomena a true delight.

Masters of Horror: Homecoming - Decided to give the series a re-watch and started off with Homecoming, one of the more inventive entries in the first box. It's a great idea which works amazingly well, definitely one of those tales suited for the small screen.

Rather than emphasis the blood and guts of a typical zombie film Homecoming concentrates on what it means and delves into far deeper territory than expected. Slightly heavy-handed at times, the repeated discussion of election stealing do grate but overall it's a great story told well by a master of his genre.

• Advertisement

Backwoods - One of those films which strives to be more than it really is. At it's heart, Backwoods is a grubby little backwoods horror film which should indulge in the sleaze rather than trying as it does to be a serious thriller. The plot is old hat, have been recycled time after time, group of city folk arrive in the country and after meeting the rather backward locals set on a spot of hunting, 10 minutes later and they've found a deformed girl locked away in the forest. No prizes for guessing where it goes from here.

The performances from the main cast are for the most part serviceable, though Paddy Considine a true great is wooden as they come in most of his scenes with only Gary Oldman seeming to be enjoying himself albeit it with one of his more restrained performances.

Whiteout - I'm not entirely sure that this belongs here but seeing as it's in the horror section in many places I guess some people think the film qualifies.

Imagine the Thing but in place of all suspense, atmosphere and genuine scares we get a series of tepid uninspired kills, a bad guy obvious from his first appearance an ending as anti climatic as they come.

That the highlight of the film is a glimpse of Kate Beckinsale's body doubles ass tells you all you need to about the film.

2001 Maniacs - Rewatched this preparation for Field of Screams, it's an absolute hoot and one of my favourite horror films in recent years. It's also one of the few remakes which betters the original.

The film has everything you want in a horror film, it's funny, well-played, has some great deaths and is the perfect companion to a six-pack and some pizza.

2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams - I'm not sure just how much I like this one yet, sure the gore is inventive and the film did put a smile on my face but at the same time it has it's fair share of problems. The biggest of which is that all the dialogue seems to have been dubbed in post which gives the film an early 80s martial arts feel which isn't necessarily a good thing especially when lip movements don't match up.

The budget for the film was tiny and it shows, production values are low, the acting is woeful in places with only the Maniacs impressing butSullivan's direction is energetic and there is a cosntant sense of fun.

The film is very reminiscent of Herschell Gordon Lewis's original, which at the end of the day is perfectly acceptable if you enjoy lowbudget blood and guts.

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film - An interesting documentary discussing the early classics of the genre. Many of the interviews are informative and fun but there are some grave oversights, the lack of any mention of Black Christmas (The film which laid down the rules of the genre) is near unforgivable.

Some of the contributions are priceless though everything being said on screen has been repeated a dozen times before. If you enjoy the genre then it's a fun way to waste 80 minutes but for anyone looking for an examination of the genre look elsewhere.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - I really enjoy this, it's got an interesting premise and some nice gore. The film shows the birth of Leatherface and goes some way to explaining the actions of the family. The deaths are nice and grisly, the acting is good and the story is interesting which for a prequel to a remake is rather impressive though the rather lack-struck ending does leave a sour taste in the mouth,
    how he got to the car faster than she did, how something that size could so easily hide in such a small place?

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - A rather effective remake, the kills are good, the acting is fine and it isn't just a copy and past remake of the original. It's one of the best remakes around and it is on par with the original.

One gripe I do have is that the supposed uncut version is lacking a lot of material which was cut in America in order to avoid the film getting an NC-17 rating.

Rogue - Robert Taylor should properly stay out of the water for a while, if he's not having his legs broken by inbred locals he's being menaced by a 7 metre crocodile. Rogue is a rather effective creature feature in which a tourist boat is run aground on a small island leaving its rag-tag group of passengers at the mercy of a rather large crocodile.

It's good old-fashioned monster fun complete with a slew of kills and a creature which wisely spends most of its time off-screen, the combination of animatronics and CGI creature is far from impressive.

Triangle - Quite simply a breathtaking film which will leave you with a massive smile on your face as you realise just how well thought out the whole thing was.

It's hard to talk about the film in any detail as it's best experienced knowing as little as possible beforehand, i really cannot stress that last part enough, go in with as little knowledge as possible and the film iss just a truly striking piece of cinema which rewards the viewer.

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul - The birth of Coffin Joe, one of the icons of horror cinema remains an entertaining and ambitious film which while having aged considerably remains a classic. The prints on the recently released box set is rather poor and the sound is dreadful but it only adds to the charm.

It's pure unadulateraed fun which you can't help but love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ned <3's Coffin Joe.

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse - Another classic from José Mojica Marins, this time with a far bigger budget Dé brings his quest to create his perfect human specimen to extreme lengths. The dreamlike nature of the film gives it an eerie and truly unique feel.

The films of Coffin Joe arent for everyone and those weaned on Freddy and Jason will find them slow and boring but for fans of atmospheric horror they are a treat. Highly reminiscent of the classic Universal film fo the 30s but slightly more demented, Coffin Joe is a must for anyone who considers themselves a horror fan.

• Advertisement

The Hills Have Eyes 2 (remake) - Like Craven's original sequel it's a missed opportunity. The ingredients are all there for a fun gore and guts good time but the lack of any real characters development or in fact a single character to care about turns the film into a generic slasher. There are some great moments, some of the deaths are very well handled but at the end of the day it's a quickly made cash in which decides to bathe most of the action in gloom making for a rather lackstruck experience.

From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter
    - This is how you do a sequel, take the formula which worked so well first time round, tweak just enough to make it different and add gallons of blood. Anyone familiar with the original won't get lost here, a group of weary unsuspecting travellers stumble into the vampire den. The film is 90 minutes of blood spilling nonsense which will raise a smile in any genre fan.

Highwaymen - Robert Harmon returns to the highway unfortunately it's no Hitcher but it does remain a very entertaining and enjoyable film with a great idea which Tarantino borrowed for his dreadfully dull Deathproof. Jim Caviz Jesus travels the dusty highways searching for his wifes killer and in the process we witness some great automotive destruction. With a running time of 70 minutes it's over doesnt out stay it's welcome and does what it does well for those 70 minutes.

Silent Hill - Not just a great game adaptation but a great film on its own merits. Silent Hill is one of those much maligned and derided films which is actually a bonafied modern horror classic. It's great fun, has number of genuine scares and some truly exceptional creature design.

Day of the Dead (Remake) - An entertaining albeit dreadful remake which jettisons everything that was great about the original and replaces it with vegetarian zombies and ones with the ability to crawl across ceilings. Was it called anything but Day of the Dead it would be an acceptable time waster but by trying to sell its self on the classics name it loses serious points. Watch it if you're drinking with friends though if thats the case just grab the original instead.

Lighthouse - Entertaining low-budget British slasher film in which a boat transporting prisoners sinks at a mid atlantic lighthouse. On board are a rag-tag group of the good, the not so good, the there simply to get a token female in and a seriously demented killer. A rather generic script and mundane kills do take away from what could have been a unique little slasher, the location is great and there's some great moments of suspense but at the end of th day it's just another unoriginal kill fest.

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue - One of the best documentaries on the horror genre and how society shapes the tales we see on-screen. Highly informative, well made and featuring a montage of Friday the 13th deaths it's a must watch for horror fans.

Not Quite Hollywood - A great documentary about the unsung classics of Australian genre cinema. Featuring contributions from those who crafted some of the most fondly loved trash of the 70s and 80s and clips from many of the films. The only um note is a too enthusiastic Quentin Tarantino who manages to annoy more than inform of offer anything which could qualify as useful information or analysis.

Piranha 3D - Went to see this last Saturday and don't think I ever left the cinema with such a feeling of meh. It's one of the most pointless uses of 3D yet, I can't even think of one scene which utilised the technology to its advantage. The deaths were too few and far between and the ending was just ridiculous
    it was so obvious that they were going to do a Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea
    . There was so much potential for a fun film there but unfortunately it was squandered in a film which really should be premiering on the sci fi channel. Anyone looking for a truly great killer fish film should check out the vastly superior Frankenfish.

The Crazies - One of Romero's most interesting forgotten films. THe nihilistic tone perfectly creates a taught and riveting horror which unfortunately does meander a little toward the end. The at times decidedly uneven pace and acting don't do the film any real favours but the manner in which it creates such dread such be applauded.

The Crazies (Remake) - Now this is how a remake should be done, by retaining the mood of the original and crafting a strikingly different film this goes out of its way to be more than just a quick cash in. The film retains the nihilistic sense of dread which worked so well for the original but expands on the original concept, removing much of the originals heavy exposition in favour for some taut scares.

For anyone interested in picking up the films, HMV have an exclusive edition of the Blu Ray which contains a free copy of the original on DVD.

Laid to Rest - One of the more entertaining and inventive slasher films of recent years, the story is all over the place with characters seemingly determined to do the most idiotic thing possible in order to ensure their death. Thankfully then that the gore is superbly handled with faces torn off and a whole host of B movie stars meeting rather grisly ends.

Deep Blue Sea - I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this, one of the most entertaining killer fish films ever made and one which unlike most of its ilk is actually a damn good film. The Blu Ray looks absolutely gorgeous though does at times show up the dated effects. For anyone disappointed by the unbelievably mediocre Piranha 3D, this is the film for you. Rather than rely on cheap gore, Deep Blue Sea actually has a good story, a great cast and enough truly cinematic moments to warrant a watch.

Survival of the Dead I'm sorry George, but you've lost it. After the fantastic land of the Dead you gave us the tepid and not very good Diary of the Dead and now you deliver the truly abysmal Survival. Every aspect of the film is lacking, the story is woeful and the zombies seem like an idea tacked on at the last-minute, the effects are poor with some truly abysmal cgi, the acting is wooden, in fact the only nice thing you can say about the film is that it looks nice. I really hope that Romero delivers at least one more classic but on recent evidence it may be for the best if he were to retire, any more misfires like Survival and his reputation as the Godfather of the Ghouls may be in trouble.

• Advertisement

Resident Evil - One of the few game to film adaptations which rather than simply try to recreate the game onscreen goes out of its way to provide something new. It remains an enjoyable brain-dead action film with enough great moments to make it all worthwhile. It's not big, it's not clever, the CGI is dreadful but it'll keep you entertained for 100 minutes which is exactly what you want from it.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Pretty much Milla Jovovich vs The Toxic Avengers retarded cousin. Like the first film it deviates from the game but remains an entertaining watch. Some great set pieces, some nice nods to the game and lots of things going boom. Watched back to back with the original they really compleiment one another. Watch it with your expectations turned down and it's an entertaingin as hell 90 or so minutes.

Advertisement