Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting wild female cat neutered

Options
  • 15-06-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi

we have a cat who is/was wild and calls for feeding every now and again, I reckon she is about 2 year old. She had a litter of kittens last August and again 11 weeks ago, shes still feeding her 2 kittens. I need to get her neutered but she is still very scared and only really comes to me when food is been offered, how can I start to organise to get her neutered? I think I might be able to trick her into a carrier to bring her to a vets but she will go mental when inside it as hates been trapped and I have no idea how she will cope with vets. I'm scared if I leave it much longer and the kittens don't need her she will go wandering and I will end up with a 3rd litter as we only really see her once a week when she's not minding kittens. Anyone ever have a smiliar situation, how did you manage? any advise appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you can get her into a carrier, that'd be good. Put some ham inside it, and avoid handling her, but maybe wear gloves just in case she scratches/bites you. Even if she freaks out it'd be worth it, because she would probably get pregnant again soon otherwise. The vet will probably be used to dealing with scared cats and give her a sedative or something.

If you can't get her into a carrier then you might be able to borrow a cat trap from the vet or a local SPCA and use that.

I hope you can catch her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im in a similar boat and feeding a male tom for the last week. It can be done. Years ago (im talkin probably 15 yrs or so) we got a feral female spayed where my parents lived. She was caught in a cat trap and sedated..spayed then. Ive no doubt it was traumatic for her, but shes still goin strong now.She must be at least 17 + now.

If she'd continued to produce litter after litter ive no doubt she wouldnt have survived as long. Contact a cats organisation that have traps and would be willing to come out to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I'd second the cat carrier option. Feed for a few days before hand so that she gets used to going in and out of the carrier in much the same way that a dog acclimates to a crate. Easy does it and patience.
    If she is reluctant to go inside, gradually move the bowl or whatever you are feeding her in closer to the carrier (over a couple of days)with the idea of moving it inside to the (back of the carrier ultimately)when you first begin habitiuating her to the carrier.
    Plan on being able to keep her somewhat confined (maybe a shed with litter box) when you bring her back from the vets after spay as she will need a period a convalesence before she can be released.
    Talk to your vet and get their advice first as to when she would be able to get spayed as if the kittens are very young she will need to nurse them.
    Maybe there is a vet near you who works with a shelter organisation and they can offer more advice and probably are well used to dealing with feral cats.I'd call a couple of local shelters/rescues and see who they use for spaying/neutering.
    good luck and thank you on being so responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Btw, are the kittens tame? And are you feeding the kittens? If you're feeding them then it should be fine to neuter the mother, but if nobody is feeding the kittens then they'd need their mother more, and she mightn't want to feed them if she has stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Hi thanks for all the replies, kittens are tame and eating and drinking on their own but still go for a feed if mum is available so have no doubt they will be fine. Have never really had pets before only fish so this will be my first time approaching a vet, can anyone recommend one in the Dundalk area? would really like to get a good vet that has dealt with a similiar situation to make the least stressful on the cat as possible. Also has anyone any idea approx how much it will cost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement