Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that the application deadline has passed...

• 15-06-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

:p Did anyone else apply for those editorial internships in the Irish Times? I wonder how many are on offer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I received a horrible date for my interview. Fingers crossed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

smcgiff wrote: »
    I received a horrible date for my interview. Fingers crossed though!

Well that tells me something right there :(
    ;) Maybe tomorrow's post gulp

When did you apply? I got mine in on the last day! Had only heard about it a few days beforehand, don't know how I missed it.

tommy21 wrote: »
    Well that tells me something right there

Only winding you up for not discussing this before the end date. Not even my profession, so no interview! :p

Good luck - a good paper almost as good as the Irish Examiner :)

smcgiff wrote: »
    Only winding you up for not discussing this before the end date. Not even my profession, so no interview! :p

Good luck - a good paper almost as good as the Irish Examiner :)

Heh heh damn. Well serves me right!

Ha nice - believe me I tried to get into my "local" paper being a Cork man, but have failed so far.

Heh heh damn. Well serves me right!

Ha nice - believe me I tried to get into my "local" paper being a Cork man, but have failed so far.

May not want to use that as your opening line at your interview :p

Sounds like a good opening into the industry, although what with the current climate an ex editor of the New York Times could have applied.

Hope to hear you've got called for an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have bad news if my friend is correct, there were...
    2 places with 1000 applicants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

*scrunches chances on the ground*

I see you've foiled me again Minister!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I can well believe that.

Couple journalism graduates from DCU, DIT, Griffith, plcs & other Irish unis from the last 2 years with graduates from other courses who have an interest in journalism and add in a few people knocking around a bit longer (myself included) and you can easily get to the 1,000 mark.

So, who got an interview? :)

• Advertisement

I believe you may have minister :o I on the other hand, am a failure! :(
    Ah well, back to trying for the local rags ;)

I believe you may have minister :o I on the other hand, am a failure! :(
    Ah well, back to trying for the local rags ;)

;) I haven't heard from them at all - at this point I figure that I may be rejected.

;) I haven't heard from them at all - at this point I figure that I may be rejected.

Pray on it minister, pray on it. And say one for me too, but you can go to hell if we're both in there!:eek:

If those who are to be contacted already have been then not I!

Have you heard from people who did? I've not heard anything either way but don't personally know of anyone else who had applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I applied too but I haven't heard a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ClaireNo

I called the HR department yesterday, and they told me it would be late July/early August before everyone got a response. They said they were “overwhelmed” with the amount of applications. **Heavy sigh...

ClaireNo wrote: »
    I called the HR department yesterday, and they told me it would be late July/early August before everyone got a response. They said they were “overwhelmed” with the amount of applications. **Heavy sigh...

Good thinking, thanks for letting us know. At least can put it out of my head for a few weeks! Does not sound good though, but I guess it depends on the type of person they are looking for.

Got my PFO letter today - anyone else get better news?

PFO for me too.

Nothing for me yet, but I'm down south, sometimes the local bandits intercept the postman :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I also received a PFO. Their loss folks, their loss. We'd all have made great interns.

Strange that you are all moderators to boot ... I sense a conspiracy ... and a good story. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fieryfemale21

Hey guys I got the rejection letter today too and its My Birthday!! :( Had a good cry :( put time into my application and I was confident about it. It would have perfect as I am graduating this year and thats what I want to do now but I didnt do a journalism degree. If I hear most of the positions went to people with a lot of journalism professional experience like ex editors or something ridiculous or all journalism graduates I will be very angry!!!! Anyway guys its their LOSS!!!!

Hey guys I got the rejection letter today too and its My Birthday!! :( Had a good cry :( put time into my application and I was confident about it. It would have perfect as I am graduating this year and thats what I want to do now but I didnt do a journalism degree. If I hear most of the positions went to people with a lot of journalism professional experience like ex editors or something ridiculous or all journalism graduates I will be very angry!!!! Anyway guys its their LOSS!!!!

Well I think I remember it saying it was orientated towards recent graduates (undergrads or postgrads) so I think it is safe to say the ex-editor of the New York Times is out of the running as someone pointed out earlier in the thread! I guess it depends on what they are looking for - do they want someone who has a lot of structured training which is what a journo masters might provide? Do they want a rounded blank canvas? Will we ever find out what type they were looking for?!

Edit: Happy Birthday anyway - get back at them by going out and spending your birthday money on thousands of copies of a glorious rag! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

TBH if you want a career in journalism not getting it could well be a good thing. An awful lot of the IT these days is rewritten press releases, better to go somewhere and learn how to break stories

PFO :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

They told me to PFO too:(

Oh well. If the applicant to positions ratio earlier in this thread is correct then I doubt I ever stood much of a chance. I spent AGES on my application though but I don't have much writing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

In case anyone is still interested in hearing about the rest of this process...

I can now be added to the PFO crew. I got through to the 2nd round, which was a group interview. We all had to sit around and assess the paper for an hour or so. There were 4 groups in all, with 50 people over the 4 days. Second round of interviews was down to 8-10 people, with either 2 or 4 jobs. My rejection letter said 2 jobs, but the HR lady in the interview said Geraldine Kennedy was fighting with the finance department to get approval for 4.

I have no journalism background. So the fifty people weren't necessarily picked on that. But of the two people that I've heard of that have gotten to the last stage, they both have quite a bit (student and local newspapers) so that might have been the deciding factor in the end stages. Who knows though really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dazman5000

beanyb wrote: »
    In case anyone is still interested in hearing about the rest of this process...

I can now be added to the PFO crew. I got through to the 2nd round, which was a group interview. We all had to sit around and assess the paper for an hour or so. There were 4 groups in all, with 50 people over the 4 days. Second round of interviews was down to 8-10 people, with either 2 or 4 jobs. My rejection letter said 2 jobs, but the HR lady in the interview said Geraldine Kennedy was fighting with the finance department to get approval for 4.

I have no journalism background. So the fifty people weren't necessarily picked on that. But of the two people that I've heard of that have gotten to the last stage, they both have quite a bit (student and local newspapers) so that might have been the deciding factor in the end stages. Who knows though really!

Same here! I was disappointed, but not all that surprised, as I thought the group interview was tough going. I also had very little journalism experience, and I reckon that can't have helped me, when it came to picking their final few. Also, when they are only hiring 2 of 600 applicants, there's no need to be too disappointed!

• Advertisement

Hey folks - just thought I'd let you know I see SIPTU are looking for an experienced journalist (I would not have enough outside of a college setting so not going to apply), seems orientated towards current affairs in both print and online, experience in investigative and research journalism an asset. Closing date is 10th September.Ad was in the Irish Examiner (today). It says the ad is on siptu.ie but I could find no trace of it.

Advertisement