Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Repeating

• 16-06-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

There is a high chance I will be repeating (again) next year. However I need advice on subjects. I currently do:

Art
    English
    geography
    history
    French
    maths

They are all higher level accept for maths which is foundation. However I do not at all wish to do either French or Art ever again and was thinking of replacing French with Japanese and Aet with Home ec? I'm a hundred percent dead certain about wanting to do Japanese but for Hime Ec Im not too sure. I'm a chef by profession and run a food catering buisness with my mother so ibwas wondering if that would be a strenght? Also I did it for the junior cert, did no study and got a C. I just wanna know how challenging this subject is and is it possible to get a good grade in it with minimum stress?

I do not want to do Art even though I got an B1 in it before. I find it incredibly stressful and do not ever want to go through a stress like it again. I simple hate French and the only thing I like about it is speaking it.

Another factor: I do foundation maths which leaves me with only being able to get 500 points max. I was wondering what subject ( ordinary level ) I could replace it with? I really do like subjects like history and geo so are their any other subjects that link in with it? Or should I just substitute maths with LCVP because it's basically like a project with no exams? ( I think )

Anyway let me know guys... I'm gonna spend the next 4-5 hours cramming history. God bless and good luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Could you not put maths away the first time you pass it rather than keep having to do it? Unless you're counting it - but you're doing foundation?

Anyway if I repeat (I will) I'll take up home ec.
    It's a fairly handy subject...

I like the sound of japanese too but I never want to do an oral again! (putting irish and german out of the way this year if I pass them..)

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

fufureida wrote: »
    There is a high chance I will be repeating (again) next year. However I need advice on subjects. I currently do:

Art
    English
    geography
    history
    French
    maths

They are all higher level accept for maths which is foundation. However I do not at all wish to do either French or Art ever again and was thinking of replacing French with Japanese and Aet with Home ec? I'm a hundred percent dead certain about wanting to do Japanese but for Hime Ec Im not too sure. I'm a chef by profession and run a food catering buisness with my mother so ibwas wondering if that would be a strenght? Also I did it for the junior cert, did no study and got a C. I just wanna know how challenging this subject is and is it possible to get a good grade in it with minimum stress?

I do not want to do Art even though I got an B1 in it before. I find it incredibly stressful and do not ever want to go through a stress like it again. I simple hate French and the only thing I like about it is speaking it.

Another factor: I do foundation maths which leaves me with only being able to get 500 points max. I was wondering what subject ( ordinary level ) I could replace it with? I really do like subjects like history and geo so are their any other subjects that link in with it? Or should I just substitute maths with LCVP because it's basically like a project with no exams? ( I think )

Anyway let me know guys... I'm gonna spend the next 4-5 hours cramming history. God bless and good luck.

Ok so you wish to replace French with Japanese, fair enough, you sure about that though?

Home Ec., I heard is pretty handy but it shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Have you considered doing Biology?
    Its a long but very do-able ;) course. Its not a very challenging subject and you could get a high B at higher level with just a wee bit of work. If you find you enjoy it, then lo and behold you could get an A in it!

There is an exam in LCVP. Not that its too hard, but there is an exam.
    For an ordinary subject maybe some thing like business or economics might suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

The max number of points you can get in LCVP is 70, and there is a huge amount of project work, that needs to be done over a period of time. You also need to do an enterprise and write a report on it (which really means that you need to be part of a group)

The exam is in May.

Not a leaving cert student but the mother of a Leaving Cert (including LCVP) student.

How about Business? A lot of it is very practical. And you can do it in a year.

Good luck in your exams tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Yes I learnt Japanese for a long while when I was younger and love the language. It is also much easier thsn French but I'm still speculating.

Buisness lol noooo way. I'm not logical. I like subjects that are artsy but social at tge same time. As for biology... I have been considering it for a long while. Is it quite hard at hl? Is ordinary do able? And I loved jc biology. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Yes I learnt Japanese for a long while when I was younger and love the language. It is also much easier thsn French but I'm still speculating.

Buisness lol noooo way. I'm not logical. I like subjects that are artsy but social at tge same time. As for biology... I have been considering it for a long while. Is it quite hard at hl? Is ordinary do able? And I loved jc biology. :)

Its not too difficult at Higher level, you see the thing about biology is all you need is a book for the majority of the course. It is all common sense and if you liked JC bio you will love LC bio. Its a good subject, and you can well get high marks in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

If i recall correctly you are not allowed do LCVP in one year, i may be wrong but i think its the case.

I also think biology would suit you, as might farmer science, tis great craic! Definitely go with home ec anyway and goodluck

Ah I see. Well then I will ignore LCVP.

How does this look to people:

Biology
    Home Ec
    History
    Geography
    English
    Japanese and/or French

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

why repeat again? what makes you think you're gonna work harder this time around...

Mwah wrote: »
    why repeat again? what makes you think you're gonna work harder this time around...

I have several underlying reasons to wanting to repeat, none of which need to be explained to someone I do not know. If it takes repeating the LC to get to where I wanna be, I'll do it.

I worked extremely hard this year but simple could not measure up. I taught myself 3 subjects also. I do not need to work harder as such, I simple need more time to make up for lost time. A little support could also go a ling way.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

See how you do this time first. You might do better than you expect.

I'd throw in Agricultural Science.

• Advertisement

Devia wrote: »
    See how you do this time first. You might do better than you expect.

I'd throw in Agricultural Science.

Praying for 3 Bs; might win some sympathy from my uni and be accepted with 3 instead of 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Are you really sure you can do all this again? Second time around for me and I have promised my mental health that this is the last time.
    Are you redoing english again?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

I have several underlying reasons to wanting to repeat, none of which need to be explained to someone I do not know. If it takes repeating the LC to get to where I wanna be, I'll do it.

I worked extremely hard this year but simple could not measure up. I taught myself 3 subjects also. I do not need to work harder as such, I simple need more time to make up for lost time. A little support could also go a ling way.

In my opinion, if you you're not gonna work the first time. or the second time, there is no point in wasting your time by doing it a third time. Maybe you did work hard, but what happens if you work hard next year and do the same, are you gonna re-re-re-repeat? Seems like you might have got the grades if you haven't spent most of your time on boards...just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Aye, I'm also going to re-repeat.

I'll be doing the same subjects I'm doing now, but I'll probably take up Home Economics.

So for moi, that's English, Irish, Art, History, Geography, Home Ec, and Maths. All higher, bar Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Ah I see. Well then I will ignore LCVP.

How does this look to people:

Biology
    Home Ec
    History
    Geography
    English
    Japanese and/or French

From my own LC days, I believe the 'easier' subjects to do well in are:
    Business Organisation, Home Ec S&S, Geography. Unless you have an aptitude for languages in which case they will be your easier subjects. Home Ec (in the 90's!) was a handy subject as long as you stayed away from the 'waffle' components (social side). Concentrate on the bio and home ec side and you will find it easy enough with your background.
    History, I believe, is a long course with plenty of essay-writing.
    I remember accountancy being a fairly easy number too, and I wouldn't have thought doing foundation maths would have any effect on your understanding of the subject. As you are running a business, it is likely that you will have a knowledge of many of the balance sheets, profit and loss etc etc
    Don't be too hard on yourself, you haven't even gotten the results of this go yet. You may have surpassed your expectations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Business is what I'd recommend. It's all common sense at the end of the day. And you just need to know definitions. It's easy enough at ordinary level if you arer anyways business inclined but for Higher Level, you'll have to work at it.

As for LCVP, if you put in the work from September onwards, not by three all-nighters before the exam, a mistake that every student in my school made, then it's a 'handy' 50 marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

yeah business is good..
    i know a girl who repeated and took up business this year for the first time ever..
    she ended up getting 87% on the higher level mock paper and she was the highest in the class..
    so it is do-able! :D

you would do english? but that means learning a whole new course . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AmyMaria

just read that you'd maybe like geography? My economics teacher said economics and geography go well together cos they can overlap sometimes?
    I dont do geography, just taking her word for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

How many points are you attempting to achieve?

I wouldn't recommend English - you will have to learn a course which is new to you in a year. Even top repeating students struggle with that, which is why it is generally advised that unless you really let yourself down on your first attempt, it is better to hold on to the points you originally racked up.

With regard to Japanese...you said that you can speak it, but remember the written component of the exam also exists. If you don't already have a grasp of the relevant characters, you may struggle with the exam.

In the end, repeating for the second time is a big step to take. If you fail for a second time to enter your desired course, it might be time to accept the reality that you can't make it over the threshold. On the other hand, if you have the money and the time, the system is configured to allow you to take advantage of this.

I would say wait and see what happens. Spend your time studying for this year's exams. Don't bail on this Leaving Cert while you still have a chance to get good marks in your remaining exam.

In my opinion, if you you're not gonna work the first time. or the second time, there is no point in wasting your time by doing it a third time. Maybe you did work hard, but what happens if you work hard next year and do the same, are you gonna re-re-re-repeat? Seems like you might have got the grades if you haven't spent most of your time on boards...just saying

I don't need you to just say. Most my times on boards? Ha that's funny spent most my time getting help off people on this site because my own teachers aren't helpful. What counts as not wasting your time in your opinion? Going on the dole? Working in super macs?

Sure I won't know the ifs or the buts unil I do it. I rather go do is as many times as I need to rather than just sitting on my ass doing sweet damn all. Sorry but your input is pointless and unhelpful. Heard it several times before too.

Thanks you those who gave me advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fufureida and Mwah, let it go!

You are all stressed right now, and naturally so ... scratching at one another will NOT help, I can guarantee you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

fufureida, I think I remember reading somewhere that you were fluent in quite an number of languages, including Arabic.

Arabic is a subject for the LC - why don't you consider that? I don't know anything about it, so can't say whether it is 'easy' or not, but I'd imagine that for someone who speaks it fluently the workload is significantly cut down. Mind you, I think that subjects like Arabic, Russian, Swedish etc. are created for people who speak it fluently, and are not taught at a 'basic' level like French, Spanish, Italian and German.

I could be wrong though

Fufureida and Mwah, let it go!

You are all stressed right now, and naturally so ... scratching at one another will NOT help, I can guarantee you!

sorry, just don't like people telling me what I have and have not done. I'm asking for advice on what subjects, not whether or not I shod repeat. Whatever like i made my point.

I had no idea they taught Arabic!!WTF?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

fufureida... i have to salute you... going back again.. thought repeating this time was awful but again you have some courage ... hope everything goes your way & best of luck :D

bubblz wrote: »
    fufureida... i have to salute you... going back again.. thought repeating this time was awful but again you have some courage ... hope everything goes your way & best of luck :D

Thank youso much god bless you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Arabic takes place at the same time as Irish and I would highly recommend doing it if you speak the language.

Here's the paper from this year. :)

Also, home ec should be a good one to pick up but a few people picked up business this year and were completely stressed out by it. I think some dropped to pass on the day. So, in my repeat class, it didn't have a great reputation at all. :)

Best of luck, if you do re-repeat. I honestly don't think I could manage it! Hope you get yours results this year, anyway. (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Think I may be repeating but I firmly believe it's better than taking a course I don't want to do.

As for home ec it takes a lot of learning and it is one of the hardest subjects to get an A in...if you do decide to take it up you would want to make a good start on it over the summer. The food section is the biggest percentage of the exam so make sure you spend your time wisely on that. Also, if you do take this subject remember you have to do practical assignments which are due in by October. You will need a teachers help with these and they are 20% of your final result. Try and find out what the assignments are for the 2011 course.

I'm also thinking of taking up another subject...maybe business but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SEInvincible

yous must have a problem of accepting that youre finished school , thats ridicoulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I don't need you to just say. Most my times on boards? Ha that's funny spent most my time getting help off people on this site because my own teachers aren't helpful. What counts as not wasting your time in your opinion? Going on the dole? Working in super macs?

Sure I won't know the ifs or the buts unil I do it. I rather go do is as many times as I need to rather than just sitting on my ass doing sweet damn all. Sorry but your input is pointless and unhelpful. Heard it several times before too.

Thanks you those who gave me advice.
    I'm sorry fufureida. I know what it's like. I am seriously considering repeating and until I finished the major bulk of my exams, there was only two adults I could trust to say it to that didn't give me the whole "Get that stupid f***ing idea out of your head" attitude, and it really didn't help me.

I know you are used of what people like Mwah are saying but you have to consider it - by going back next year, are you just wasting another year of your life? Should you consider another PLC Course? Or does it suit you to go back and learn more subjects?

yourmother wrote: »
    Think I may be repeating but I firmly believe it's better than taking a course I don't want to do.
    I agree with this ^^^^. At the end of the day, the Leaving Cert is about getting further in life, and it's all about progression. We won't get progression from something we don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I dont know why people presume Home Ec is so easy, it is so not! Its a really long and boring course, not all that easy a lot of the food section is biology related and Im very good at biology and I still found it tough to store in my head! Also you do a journal which is an epic amount of work, we did it all in 5th year and It took up so much time and again, it is not easy, theres a lot of research involved.

Also with LCVP, while I'll admit that the exam is ridiculously easy and 90% cop on, the portfolio again is a huge amount of work. I was chipping away at mine all year and we had a really good teacher but we still didnt get them finished and distinction standard until March. Defo not something to take lightly as a repeat especially as theres so much work in it.
    And dont forget LCVP can only be taken with certain subjects!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement