Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackra1n wifi fix

• 16-06-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

iPhone 3GS
    Blackra1n

I know there have been countless posts all over the interwebs regarding 'fixes' for the wifi problems associated with jailbreaking programs and Blackra1n in particular. After having been caught out by the problem myself more than once and ultimately being forced to restore after ending up in the tethered reboot loop, I decided to go through the JB procedure stepwise and figure out exactly what was causing it. In my case, the problem was installing appsync and the reboot which it 'required' after installing itself. This reboot appears to be completely unnecessary and I would suggest you don't bother with it :) and if possible, avoid ever allowing the phone to reboot/turn off (I've had mine running for 5 months now) - the vast majority of things the average user would install don't require a reboot anyway, merely a respring.

The 'fix' which i 'discovered' (i use that lightly - two hours of web searching yielded nothing like it so im assuming it hasn't been suggested anywhere else) is v v simple. It involves an App called eWiFi - jailbreakers should be able to find it easily. After the wifi has stopped working (after a reboot or, just randomly as I've seen reported) DON'T go near that 'reset network settings' rubbish, install eWiFi (usual means - itunes) and run it. eWiFi (and indeed WiFiTRAK - another app) allows you to connect to networks manually when the native iPhoneOS wifi service won't (well known afaik). Unfortunately, it has to be run every time you want to connect to a network i.e. after unlocking the phone. I did this for about a month the first time - PITA, but, it gets the wifi on. But, if you do use eWiFi, let it connect you to a network and then reboot the phone (with network connected), the wifi is now reactivated and your iphone will be back to its wifi-automagic self (eWifi no longer required). Sounds like a stupidly simple solution and indeed it is, and I suspect someone else has discovered it long ago! I cannot, however, even begin to guess why it works...so don't ask :P

I've tried this multiple times (after repeatedly and intentionally wrecking the wifi by restoring, rejailbreaking, reinstalling appsync & rebooting) and it works flawlessly every time - on my 3GS, 3.1.2, 05.11.07.

Hopefully this might save a few ppl from having to restore after ending up in the blackra1n reboot loop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Spirit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for the post. Not sure what this reboot loop is but it sounds painful. As kjl so eloquently suggested, would you not consider the spirit jailbreak?

I should add that I haven't had any issues with wifi and blackra1n myself.

Advertisement