Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Cafe, The Park, Cabinteely

Options
  • 16-06-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Many of you may know the video shop that has been in the park (beside Spar and the Chinese take away). Recently renovations were done and the front of the video shop was converted into a nice little cafe, with the back staying as a video shop.

Nice little cafe to finally be able to sit down and get a cup of coffee in. Myself and the girlfriend made use of it several times, handy spot, nice baked goods, friendly staff and outdoor seating.

You can imagine I was pissed when the other day I found the place closed down, stating that due to increasing rents, the shop had to shut it's doors.
    It's surprising so soon after it's new renovations, when business seemed to be doing well and the good summer weather helping that.

The note on the door seemed to be worded a bit resentfully toward the property owner, does anyone know any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Saw this myself.

Went by many a time without popping in.

The day me and the missus decide to go over........closed!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It was a pretty ridiculous idea if you ask me. Make up your mind... are you a video store or a cafe? I doubt it would have ever taken off, especially with a new cafe opening up at that entrance of the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I think it probably would have done well enough.
    There's currently no sit down area at that small set of shops and Cabinteely isn't great in terms of good, well-priced coffee.

Will be interesting to see what business takes over the premises next.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

So no video store either? That's a pity.

I feel sorry for the guy that ran it, he was always decent and helpful. I remember talking to him last year when he was renovating the store, he was really looking forward to bringing a cafe to that part of the area. Increasing rents in this climate?? Are they mad.

Where is the new cafe by the entrance to the Park? Do you mean the Tapas place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Pixied wrote: »

I think that's where they mean.

Yeh, the guy seemed like a good lad.

Having a girlfriend that doesn't drink milk, he was very accommodating on three separate occasions running into spar to buy soya milk for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

No. Apparently there is a new cafe opening up in The Grainstore at the girl's school entrance to the park so that probably would have taken away whatever trade the video store/ cafe had from the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emster

little late getting into this conversation, but does anyone know if the coffee shop opened in cabinteely beside the school??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

They decided to do the renovations without actually getting permission from the landlord so when he found out he jacked up the rates,they didnt pay so he changed the locks and booted them out

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Passed by the movie store / cafe recently, and spotted a sign suggesting that a new cafe would be opening soon.

Was on my way to the Spar, but it seems to have closed! Anybody know what happened?

It seemed to be doing regular business any time I went in. Convenient parking made it easier to access than some of the other local places. It will be missed by many, and I'm sure there'll be a knock on effect on the new cafe with less footfall passing by their doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Yea, i heard the owner of the Spar had to shut up shop. Thats gonna be a big loss for all them houses. You would have thought a Spar would never go out of business with all the houses and the school there

• Advertisement

bungler wrote: »
    Thats gonna be a big loss for all them houses. You would have thought a Spar would never go out of business with all the houses and the school there

Yes, that's for sure, a reasonable catchment area, and as you say, surprising to see a Spar going under.

Maybe the rent was increased? Maybe people opted for less convenience with the associated lower prices?

It'll be missed alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

I noticed it was shut the other day..I just assumed it may be shut for the holidays.

It was a handy shop, but I have to say I found it a bit depressing and in need of some attention. Also I never witnessed any banter or friendliness between staff and customers, it was all very functional in comparison to other businesses along there. Anyway I wish them the best.

I also noticed the sign to say coffee shop coming soon, I wonder if anything will come of it?

Also I never witnessed any banter or friendliness between staff and customers, it was all very functional in comparison to other businesses along there.

A fair point - for a 'local' shop, maybe there could have been a bit more of a personal service.

Most of the Spar shops are franchises I think, so maybe another store will be interested in taking over this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

bungler wrote: »
    Yea, i heard the owner of the Spar had to shut up shop. Thats gonna be a big loss for all them houses. You would have thought a Spar would never go out of business with all the houses and the school there

How come? Feel free to PM.

Live in the area and it'll be a big blow to the other shops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The rent on the Spar was 25000 per year i was told, they asked for a reduction and the landloard said no so they bailed. To many hours working for to little profit i reckon.

Advertisement