Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supervalu clubcard!

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

i have been told by staff that i can only use my clubcard in the store i got it from?? is this true? I dont see why the card wouldnt be nationwide like other stores!

Anyone care to shed some light on this

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

i have been told by staff that i can only use my clubcard in the store i got it from?? is this true? I dont see why the card wouldnt be nationwide like other stores!

Anyone care to shed some light on this

thanks!

I have used mine in different stores.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No its not true, its the same as any clubcard its usable across the brand same as Tesco etc

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Cabaal wrote: »
    No its not true, its the same as any clubcard its usable across the brand same as Tesco etc

Except some stores decided not to take part so you look like a fool offering this thing to get a gruff "we don't do the rewards...." line....smart move by super valu, they couldn't even get all their members to commit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

not what I was told. Had to get two separate cards for two stores I go to...

One store would not take the card of the other and vice versa.

Stooopid. ;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here is the link to Supervalu's website.

i think that the program is very dependent on whether or not your local store is taking part. Supervalu themselves could be clearer on how the system works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my local big SV doesn't even have a card system, we still have the stupid tokens lark which no one really bothers with

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was in my local SuperValu, buying the usual cheap milk and nothing else, (as usual:pac:), and a customer was asking about the card.

She was told that the loyalty card was specific to that store, but that global SV offers (the things that tokens used to be collected for) could be clocked up in any SV store. The customer seemed a bit miffed that she wouldn't get the full benefits in all SV stores.

I suppose that, with the franchises being independently owned, the loyalty system can't operate in the same way that it does with Tesco and Dunnes.

The first SV store that I recall having this system in this area, is the Abbeyfeale SuperValu, coincidentally introducing it just before Tesco opened its store there a couple of years ago. They must have been bricking it.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

sv is expensive but the closest to me! its a bit silly only having it in certain stores! very restricting!!

oh well their loss! il just stick with lidl so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I've used my super valu card in different stores and the points add to my getaway breaks total. The local points are specific to the shop itself (e.g get a coffee maker for €10 with 200 points - you have to of collected the 200 points in the store that issued you your card)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a bit irritating that Supervalu launched this rewards scheme which seems like a Tesco or Dunnes loyalty card - but in reality is localised.

My Supervalu card comes from the store in Sallins (as I happened to be working there when I signed up). However, I'm never likely to be in the Sallins store again, as I live in D6. Do I have to get another card now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

dudara wrote: »
    It's a bit irritating that Supervalu launched this rewards scheme which seems like a Tesco or Dunnes loyalty card - but in reality is localised.

My Supervalu card comes from the store in Sallins (as I happened to be working there when I signed up). However, I'm never likely to be in the Sallins store again, as I live in D6. Do I have to get another card now?

it seems people have had different experiences, i got my card at home (down the country;)) and they wouldnt accept it in a supervalu in north dublin! told me they only accepted ones for their own store :rolleyes:

My missus went into our local SuperValu this evening, and the guy on the check-out asked whether she had a loyalty card. When she said no, he promptly swiped a key-fob card.

After she paid, she asked if she could apply for a card, and he said yes. She then asked if today's purchases would be added, and he told her it was too late.

On the receipt it says that the current points total amounts to 3300.

Two words "Cheeky bastard!" :eek:

I may be condemning him prematurely, as he could be collecting for some charity or other, so I'll have to investigate further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

the bigger issue here is how the wool is being pulled over peoples eyes with these things.

in exchange for a one-off 5% discount (for which you've paid over the odds for anyway), they have you spending your money in their shop more than you would normally and they know in detail your buying habits.

i dont subscribe to those things. means i shop in whatever supermarket has the best deals on a given week

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

You certainly should investigate. Some staff have been known to use their own card when the customer has none thereby clocking up hundreds of eoros worth of points for themselves. It amounts to stealing from the company which in the end is covered by price rises, wages/hours cut for staff and reduced staff bonuses (if any). If it turns out it's something the store does for charity then no prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You know, I thought this was unusual recently when I finally signed up for the card - it was in the Supervalu in Maynooth, and I did think at the time that it was weird that the shop name and location were actually printed on the card - it's not done that way for the Tesco or Dunnes ones. I didn't realise I could only use it in Maynooth - I live mostly in Dublin and Sligo, so a card that can be used only in Maynooth isn't much good to me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They'd really want to investigate if staff are frauding the system. In Dunnes it's a sackable offence.

False alarm, I think:o

email reply
    the last few days we have been running a promotion that every customer receives a 5% discount on their shopping. this discount can only be applied when the customer uses a real rewards card. to ensure all customers could avail of the discount whether they had a card or not we set up 'dummy' cards on each checkout. if a customer such as yourselves did'nt have a rewards card we would use the 'dummy' card to make sure everybody got the 5% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

As someone has already said SuperValu is a franchised series store rather than one business group like Tesco's etc. This explains the varying quality and design of the stores within the chain. As already pointed out some stores have signed up to the "loyalty card" and others haven't but this should really be pointed out to you when offered the card.

Down in Wexford it's even more complicated as we have Pettit's Supervalu which actually have their own loyalty card completely separate to the Supervalu one and happily it seems to be better. In 6 months of sporadic shopping I racked up €10 to spend in store... happy days :-)

Advertisement