Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Urgent Help - Arsed up my GF's NTL Wireless/Modem/Web Connection

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Ok long story short, the girlfriend has broadband from NTL...her modem is a Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 running into a Netgear WGR614 V7 Router

Everything was fine until earlier this evening when I, like a dope thought I was attempting a simple job (which Ive done loadsa times before on my own routers) but na, I arsed it up completely

Wanted to be able to connect my iPhone to her wireless, so logged into the Netgear settings page through http://routerlogin.net in order to get/change the access password
    Clicked wireless settings where it tells me security is setup as a WPA password, 8 - 63 digit combo.
    So, seen as it wouldnt show me what the password was I deleted what was there & lets say for talk sake made it 1234567a
    Clicked Apply....the router saved the settings, obviously resetting itself & I thought it was sorted

So now, I change the password in her network settings & do the same on my iphone...both laptop & iPhone connect to the network - Great!

Now though whenever I click onto the net....all I get is a 405 Forbidden - You do not have permission to access "xxx" on this server :mad::mad::mad:

Have sat at it the last 3hrs trying to fix it but nothing works, simply cannot figure out how by simply changing the password to access the router has cut us off from using the net & only lets you access the network locally.
    Have done this loadsa times before, normally only with a dual modem/router unit but didnt think this would be any different...thought the laptop & my iPhone would just login with the new password & surf away

Anyone any ideas???

I tried getting into the modem settings but not even the default settings of "User - admin Pass - W2402" which Ive seen numerous times online after a search seem to work to get into that. Figured it must be a router problem anyway as havnt gone near the modem settings.
    Have also tried plugging out both the modem & router in order to try & reboot them but that hasnt worked either

Really at my wits end & she needs her net connection badly for work in the evenings + the hassle of gettin an NTL engineer out is serious as she works all day & cant sit in waiting

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Ok long story short, the girlfriend has broadband from NTL...her modem is a Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 running into a Netgear WGR614 V7 Router

Everything was fine until earlier this evening when I, like a dope thought I was attempting a simple job (which Ive done loadsa times before on my own routers) but na, I arsed it up completely

Wanted to be able to connect my iPhone to her wireless, so logged into the Netgear settings page through http://routerlogin.net in order to get/change the access password
    Clicked wireless settings where it tells me security is setup as a WPA password, 8 - 63 digit combo.
    So, seen as it wouldnt show me what the password was I deleted what was there & lets say for talk sake made it 1234567a
    Clicked Apply....the router saved the settings, obviously resetting itself & I thought it was sorted

So now, I change the password in her network settings & do the same on my iphone...both laptop & iPhone connect to the network - Great!

Now though whenever I click onto the net....all I get is a 405 Forbidden - You do not have permission to access "xxx" on this server :mad::mad::mad:

Have sat at it the last 3hrs trying to fix it but nothing works, simply cannot figure out how by simply changing the password to access the router has cut us off from using the net & only lets you access the network locally.
    Have done this loadsa times before, normally only with a dual modem/router unit but didnt think this would be any different...thought the laptop & my iPhone would just login with the new password & surf away

Anyone any ideas???

I tried getting into the modem settings but not even the default settings of "User - admin Pass - W2402" which Ive seen numerous times online after a search seem to work to get into that. Figured it must be a router problem anyway as havnt gone near the modem settings.
    Have also tried plugging out both the modem & router in order to try & reboot them but that hasnt worked either

Really at my wits end & she needs her net connection badly for work in the evenings + the hassle of gettin an NTL engineer out is serious as she works all day & cant sit in waiting

Any help would be much appreciated!!

On the router there should be a status page. Check the contents of that and see if it's getting an address and other settings back through the modem at least.

A screenshot of the 405 error would be good too. Normally that should be returned by the web server, so I'm wondering if there's a policy (time,security etc) on the router returning it instead.

Try pinging www.boards.ie from the command prompt too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windycity

Hope you are also thinking about what restaurant you will be taking her to after this is all over, because you know we women don't forget a thing like this. By the way, you will never be allowed to "fix" any major problems on the computer again-just a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Spear wrote: »
    On the router there should be a status page. Check the contents of that and see if it's getting an address and other settings back through the modem at least.

A screenshot of the 405 error would be good too. Normally that should be returned by the web server, so I'm wondering if there's a policy (time,security etc) on the router returning it instead.

Try pinging www.boards.ie from the command prompt too.

Ok will try get those ASAP, really cant understand how such a slight alteration could f**k it up so badly.
    I know its probably something simple but just cant figure it out

Half tempted to just go buy her a new modem/router tomorrow & install it.....NTL/UPC dont have any kind of setup against 3rd party ones that they havnt supplied do they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok will try get those ASAP, really cant understand how such a slight alteration could f**k it up so badly.
    I know its probably something simple but just cant figure it out

Half tempted to just go buy her a new modem/router tomorrow & install it.....NTL/UPC dont have any kind of setup against 3rd party ones that they havnt supplied do they?

That's almost certainly a waste of money, and I suspect UPC won't help with anything they don't supply. Even at worst you could reset the router to it's factory settings first.

I had actually thought about that, saw the button there & everything but was afraid it would then reset a password for access...one which I wouldnt have a clue what it was, then I'd be truly screwed!

• Advertisement

I had actually thought about that, saw the button there & everything but was afraid it would then reset a password for access...one which I wouldnt have a clue what it was, then I'd be truly screwed!

The default is usually admin and password for Netgears. But there's probably something easily altered to correct this before resorting to that.

Sorry mate i meant reset an actual WPA password....the access password to the settings is still at default & the ones you mentioned there

Sorry mate i meant reset an actual WPA password....the access password to the settings is still at default & the ones you mentioned there

The factory reset will reset everything to default, including WPA password.

Will have to get googling for the default then before I go hitting restore on anything lol

Turns out...UPC cocked up with loads of connections down this way last night, everyone had to reboot today

Talk about a poxy coincedence of it being the 1 time I change the password....phewwwwwwww :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement