Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make creamy soup

Options
  • 16-06-2010 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone here have any recipes/methods on how to make creamy soup please?

When my granny makes soup, it's very watery.

My mam thinks you put all the ingredients in the blender and then when they're all blended/liquidized you put the blended/liquidized soup into the saucepan and cook. Is this right?

I'd like to have some of the veg and esp the meat in 'lumps/diced' (i.e; not liquidized) with a bite!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

regarding how to make it, i thought everything was cooked together and blended last minute. Just add less water (that sounds obvious i know).
    i
    m looking for a recipe for a nice veg soup with the usual everyday vegetables like carrots, potatoes etc!

if someone has any recipes for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

Add cream !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭i like lamp

t4k30 wrote: »
    Add cream !

that would also work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

One of the easiest mistakes to make when starting to make soup, is to have too much water and not enough ingredients. We've all done it and the result is watery soup.

For a simple veg soup, chop up 1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 potatoes, and what ever other veg you like in a pint of water or even better home made stock.

Add lots of herbs, pepper and a little bit of salt.

Simmer for 15 minutes, until ven are soft. When cooked, blend it together and it may be too thick to be soup.
    Correct the volume with water, milk or cream.

After you have made it once, it easy to correct your recipe to be the way you like it, the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for your help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you want to keep some chunks in the soup, but still have a creamy 'base' as it were, just reserve some of the veg/meat to one side, liquidise/blend the rest and then add back the reserved 'chunks'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

make some mashed potato seperate to the soup veg.

Blend the veggies in the stock and then add spoonfuls of mashed spuds (stirring/blending it in with a stick blender) until you have it as thick as you want it.

Much less lumpy than if you left the spuds in the soup and blended it all together.

You could then pass this through a conical sieve if you wanted it extra smooth (put the stick blender in the sieve, put that into a put, pour the soup in, keep moving the blender up and down and and you will have minimal waste).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

How I make soup
    In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt some oil and butter enough to coat the bottom of it.
    Chop up 2 onion, 2 carrots, 2 potatoes, and additional veg into dice size pieces
    Put the veg in the saucepan and coat in the butter/oil.
    Put a piece of greaseproof paper a little bigger than the diameter of the pot down in the saucepan directly over the veg and put on the lid and turn down the heat to Low.

Occassionly stir to make sure the veg does not stick.. if it does start sticking your temperature is too hot.

This will allow the Flavour of the vegetables to develop before you put in your stock.

Allow the veg to cook for 15 minutes or so until you can mash pieces of the veg to the side of the pot
    Now add a pint of stock and bring to the boil for about 5 minutes.
    Take off the heat and then blend in a food processor in Batches(The Stick blender doesn't cut it for a really creamy soup)
    Correct the volume with more stock (milk or cream if desired) Season and Return to the boil..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks everyone for the help.

Advertisement