Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Guards...........

• 16-06-2010 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Basically my m9 was in the back of my sisters car, guards pulled her and seized the pistol...

has this happend to anyone before?

if so what did you do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Was it in clear sight? Surely if its under 1 Joule and was not in view of the public you can get it back? They will probably send it off to ballistics that might take a while. Did they leave any details/take any details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Mperrozzi wrote: »
    Basically my m9 was in the back of my sisters car, guards pulled her and seized the pistol...

if so what did you do??

puts on devils advocate hat...

Not having a go here but, these are questions you need to consider...

Why was there a replica handgun in the back of your sisters car?
    Was your sister (or whoever was with her) going to or comming from a skirmish at the time of being pulled?
    What was she doing that gave the Gardai sufficient grounds to have "pulled her"?
    Was there more than just your sister in the car?
    Was the pistol gassed and loaded?
    Was the pistol in a case?
    "In the back of a car" is still probably a public place - if only the pistol is taken, then I'd reckon to have gotten off light.

And that's just to answer the airsofters who would be on your side, let alone the more cynical Joe Public and officers of the Law...

NB: I dont want answers to the above questions - especially not on a public forum, it's none of my business. But these will be some of the questions that may be asked to determine the best course of action to help you.

On a more empathetic level - I am sorry for your problem, I'm sure there's a simple explanation - hell, any of us could have airsoft guns in our cars at any time, for many reasons...

First thing you need to do is contact the IAA.
    Irrespective of if you're a member or not - they should be able to help you out mate.

Yes, it has happened to loads.
    The IAA have experience dealing with this situation. There's no guarantee you will get your pistol back but the IAA is (imo) the best way to pursue the matter.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I would talk to the IAA for some advice as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I was under the impression that when transporting your airsoft equipment it's supposed to be in a bag and in the boot of your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

if so what did you do??

Talk to the Gardaí direct. Explain what the gun is, why it was there, that you're sorry it may have caused alarm and question them about the process for getting it back.

It may go to the Park for testing. If so, assuming it's under the limit, it may take a good few months before it is tested and returned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

if so what did you do??

Did you get the Guards' number, name and station?

Perhaps, you could call to the station and speak to the Guard personaly and see what he has done with the gun before contacting the IAA. The Guard may have taking the gun because they were not fully aware of the legal issues and was simply 'airing on the side of caution'.

Be sure to have a VERY good excuse / reason for having the pistol in your sisters' car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Mperrozzi

thanks for all the help lads, i think the best thing to do is just contact the garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

If it was in sight you broke S.40 (9)A of the criminal justice act 2009. Defo call the IAA for detailed advice.

Steve

fayer wrote: »
    If it was in sight you broke S.40 (9)A of the criminal justice act 2009. Defo call the IAA for detailed advice.

Steve

i wouldint say it was in sight,

in was in a black pistol case, unloaded with the mag take out....

There was an M4 in the boot and they didint take that just told me to hold on to it..... ( strange? )

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

you go up the station yet marko?? what was the outcome??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

There was an M4 in the boot and they didint take that just told me to hold on to it..... ( strange? )

Why was your sister driving around with more guns in the car than a Baghdad Taxi driver? :confused:

Never mind throwing 'the book' at you, you're lucky the Guard didn't slap you with it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

if so what did you do??

Why was she pulled over and why was the car searched?

From your first post it seemed like your sister was transporting your M9 but from your second it seems like you were present too. Just wondering which it is? Seems strange that you would just be randomly pulled over and have a specific model seized...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mperrozzi did this happen at one of the Garda checkpoints that have been popping up around our area lately

Gatling wrote: »
    Mperrozzi did this happen at one of the Garda checkpoints that have been popping up around our area lately

No it didint Gatling......

bravestar wrote: »
    Why was she pulled over and why was the car searched?

From your first post it seemed like your sister was transporting your M9 but from your second it seems like you were present too. Just wondering which it is? Seems strange that you would just be randomly pulled over and have a specific model seized...

No, i was skirmishing that day and she left to go out before i removed the M9 and M4

The reason she was pulled is i think the guards find it strange that your driving around at 2 am.....( she was out late :rolleyes: )

joe stodge wrote: »
    you go up the station yet marko?? what was the outcome??

No i haveint yet Joe, But the guard gave me his name so ill take a trip to the station soon and see what the story is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

No, i was skirmishing that day and she left to go out before i removed the M9 and M4

The reason she was pulled is i think the guards find it strange that your driving around at 2 am.....( she was out late :rolleyes: )

Well I am a Guard and if I found someone driving around at 2am with a what appeared to be a pistol case in the vehicle, I would be moving in for a closer look.

But, because of my experience with firearms and airsoft I would be readily able to tell if it was a real firearm or not. The member who seized it may not have that experience. He probably doesn't know about them being chrono'ed before/during matches etc and why it would be useless to have one above the limit. Thats all I can give you in the way of an insight into how he may have been thinking as I was not there.

The best thing you can do , as I believe you are already going to do, is to speak to the member themselves and explain what happened. As long as the M9 is under the limit, the worst case scenario is that you are inconvienienced while it is sent for testing, unfortunately that could take a while.

Best case is he gives it back to you. If i were you I would bring any and all documentation with you to support your claim that you are into airsoft (site memberships, photos of you and your team etc or whatever you have) and to show you are just a regular guy, trying to play a sport and left some gear in his sisters car by mistake.

Best of luck mate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

was it the plastic chrome M9?

Advertisement