Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Streets of Galway 8k, 7/8/10

• 16-06-2010 8:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭

Fastest race in the west??!!

Information for the 2010 Streets of Galway 8k Road Race:
    - Race takes place on Saturday August 7th 2010 at 7:00pm.
    - Race starts and finishes in South Park, Claddagh.
    - Closing date for entry is July 30th, or when the race limit is reached.

Flat fast course, always get a big field with some top runners , and many club runners from all over the country , this is one of the best races around, 25th anniversary this year!

Link for further info
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/node/4671

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 29 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    58%
    DigiJemkippyharrierRedPepperslittlebugBrentmeisterlukeemanGunnersonnySafestHandsManFromAtlantisMick RiceNathrunsalotcarsfanbrutes1Triptychdevotional1993 17 votes
    3 stars (average)
    34%
    JnealonRobAMercHardyEustaces_carnageacurnoBlink182rockofthelordBrokenManbluestonedastardly00 10 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    6%
    docharaRunonewon 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

get the entries in early folks - this will sell out, especially as its the 25th anniversary race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    Absolutely with you on this one Brutes...a fantastic race.

Watch out for the skinny baldy fella passing you after 7km.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

4 stars (good)
    Looks like ill have to work on my world renowned sprint finish mickrice over the last k so...;)...

also surely time for a local club to end the raheny team dominance of this event...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Looking forward to doing this race again this year. Galway is a much nicer place that week just after all the headers from racing week have left us alone !!

4 stars (good)
    Carolyyn wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing this race again this year. Galway is a much nicer place that week just after all the headers from racing week have left us alone !!

I want to nominate this as post of the century.

Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I've done this the last 3 years. Looking forward to it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Watch out for the skinny baldy fella passing you after 7km.. :D

Didn't realise James Lundon was running it this year :p

4 stars (good)
    Just a reminder, its nearly full ..

http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/node/4745

Hope the rain holds off..

Rumours of a very strong field again , what better way to spend a weekend than an 8k race and a night on the town in Galway....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Up untill 3 years ago all I played was sports with a ball. Then a mate and I decided to do this race, since then I have never looked back. Although it's triathlon that occupies most of my time these days I am making sure to return were it all started this year, I'm a sentimental old bugger! . I will be in a liffey valley singlet and bringing a few from the big smoke with me! See ye all on the 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

took up running a few months ago as a way to lose weight and get fit , decided to give it a go, thats if my legs hold out!.

my first ever race..so fingers crossed

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    took up running a few months ago as a way to lose weight and get fit , decided to give it a go, thats if my legs hold out!.

my first ever race..so fingers crossed

Good Luck!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Folks, A few of us coming down to run this on Saturday week.

I assum its the same route as this one from last year?

Trying to navigate through my hazy memory from my college days there: A minor hill up to Eyre square, down again before crossing the river. A hill on Dr Mannix Rd towards Pearse stadium? Down to Leisureland, and a possibly windy last 2k.
    Times look very fast.

(Still getting the benefit of all those parties......)

4 stars (good)
    Yep same route as last year....

Hills is probably overstating it, more like drags!!, although it depends how fast you go out!

Wind is usually behind you on last 2k, can be very fast indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

4 stars (good)
    Looking forward to this now. I seem to have been running backwards lately so I can't see myself beating last years time though it is the flattest race I've ever run so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GalwayGirl23

<mod snip>

Were looking to do a long run in Galway on Sunday the day after teh race as were training for marathons. I see on teh GCH site they start from teh cathedral. I reckon they might head out via UCG to Dangan. Ill post there aswell but if anyone had any suggestions theyd be most apreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

3 stars (average)
    Heading down myself but will probably go out for a long run around Loughrea on Sunday.
    There's no numbers being posted out this year either so I'll have to arrange collection on Friday

4 stars (good)
    T Runner, this is the 11mile sunday run..
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/galway/1064007538

easy to add on 6-8miles by running up thru NUIG and Dangan and completing 2/3 laps , and returning to town ( ie you would do the route and go straight up thru college on your return...usually some who do this each week

Forecast still looks good for Sat, it could be quick, some strong runners down on the lists, no sign of last years winner yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

brutes1 wrote: »

easy to add on 6-8miles by running up thru NUIG and Dangan and completing 2/3 laps , and returning to town ( ie you would do the route and go straight up thru college on your return...usually some who do this each week

Forecast still looks good for Sat, it could be quick, some strong runners down on the lists, no sign of last years winner yet!!

hey brutes , is list available for public viewing ?

4 stars (good)
    Not the final list

but this is available...

http://www.runireland.com/node/4352/entrants_search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

I'm out crocked again but will be spectating - best of luck all, the streets is an amazing race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

any of the locals know of a good place to park? preferable not a multi story, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

jfh wrote: »
    any of the locals know of a good place to park? preferable not a multi story, thanks

PM sent

brutes1 wrote: »

Thanks a million! That looks good.

No sign of Boit this year at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

Looking forwards to it, weather looks promising too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So, who is the favourite to win it this year?

Any thoughts on who will be the first Galway affiliated runner home? Will Matthew Bidwell of GCH or Paul Mc of Athenry AC be up there?

Sorry to ehar that you're crocked mrak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

4 stars (good)
    looking forward to tomorrow evening.
    really is a special race.
    i thinks its sold out at over 2,500 entrants !

looking at weather forecast it doesnt seem to bad.

light breeze west ish north/west ish 19km/h ish

so looks like breeze wont be head on down the last 2 or 3 km. :-)

i was amused to read on the gch web that teh course is measured every year ........... just in case there is a change in road surface/camber etc. !! we're pretty exact down west. :-)

pgibbo wrote: »

Any thoughts on who will be the first Galway affiliated runner home? Will Matthew Bidwell of GCH or Paul Mc of Athenry AC be up there?

I just spotted Sergio Ciobanu as a favourite on the GCH site and by all accounts he seems to be a form man at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

pgibbo wrote: »

Both Matt Bidwell & Paul Mc will be there. I'm actully sort of glad that I'm not running because it should be a good one to watch. Matt beat Paul by 8 secs or so in a 10K on the track a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Small question. Where exactly is the claddagh hall where you collect your race pack. Thanks

4 stars (good)
    It's the hall just at the finish point of the race.

http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/images/streets-galway-2009-routemap

I'm not sure if it's clear on the map. If you're walking then it's down shop st etc to the end, past jurys, turn left when you go over the bridge and the Claddagh Hall is just on the left past all the boats.

thanks :) ... just have to collect the pack and then do the race ...fingers crossed

4 stars (good)
    thanks :) ... just have to collect the pack and then do the race ...fingers crossed

Best of luck. It's a great race.

4 stars (good)
    5 stars from me. Full marks all round. The marshalling was noticeably better this year. Well done GCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

4 stars (good)
    I did this race yesterday, really enjoyed it. Were we supposed to get text confirmation of times its just that i got nothing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

4 stars (good)
    Never mind the results are up and im on the list!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good to see a waterford man finished 3rd in such a strong field.

76 finished under 30 mins...serious competition there.

I have added this race to my "to do" list....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Sosa wrote: »

didn't I tell you that months ago Sosa ;)

There's actually a great buzz around town afterwards, a lot of people use it as an excuse to come to Galway for the night and you can see all the 'streets' tshirts in the pubs sharing their war stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

3 stars (average)
    Found the going tough yesterday but still enjoyed it. There was a lot of familiar faces at it
    Did anyone notice the bollard that was a couple of feet out on to the road, looked totally out of place, I think it was at the top of eyresquare when you turned left.
    There was a guy running along beside me who was looking at his watch taking that bend, I pushed him out of the way as I wasn't sure if he seen or not, dont think he did as he wasn't shouting abuse at me after.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

3 stars (average)
    Good race really enjoyed it. Though it suffered again from the usual problem, slow runners and walkers starting near the front. Could only get about 30 yards close to the start line and the congestion for the 1st km was unbelievable. Suppose there's not a lot that can be done, but a reminder at registration about starting positions should still be done.
    Also my chip time was off slightly. Did it in 19hrs 35 mins. That must be a record!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Speedy44 wrote: »
    didn't I tell you that months ago Sosa ;)

There's actually a great buzz around town afterwards, a lot of people use it as an excuse to come to Galway for the night and you can see all the 'streets' tshirts in the pubs sharing their war stories.

You did Speedy...i will try my best to be up there next year

4 stars (good)
    Yes a great race and well supported en route, I was a bit pi$%ed off with being a good bit slower than last yr and expected time but next year..!

Its good to see continued good performances and big numbers from outside the west - raheny in particular and a very strong ladies field this year from all corners ( great finish btw) - really made the event.

4 stars (good)
    Sosa wrote: »

might be a long way for you but u wont regret it sosa.

4 stars (good)
    well done to gch on great event. a pb by 20 secs but i would have enjoyed it more had i paced evenly and not shot off boltesque.

sneaky question ....
    (not trying to drag this off topic but thought this would eb a great place to ask this question)...

the claregalway 10km next sat eve............. whats the course like in relation to poss pb/fast times? thanks. sssh.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

well done to gch on great event. a pb by 20 secs but i would have enjoyed it more had i paced evenly and not shot off boltesque.

sneaky question ....
    (not trying to drag this off topic but thought this would eb a great place to ask this question)...

the claregalway 10km next sat eve............. whats the course like in relation to poss pb/fast times? thanks. sssh.
    Claregalway used to be a fast flat fast course and many people have set their pb's there... However that was then and now the course has changed to (in my opinion) a much more interesting route. Expect hills - if you did the 5k in this Galway series think 2 laps of that. Andy from CRH who probably measured it is one of those course measurers that cuts the corners very tight on his bike (as you are supposed to but not all do) when measuring so you can be sure it will be at least the regulation length, and possibly a few yards long. You'll have a great race, but I wouldn't count on a pb.

4 stars (good)
    mrak thanks for that. no did'nt do 5km series. but tempted to do this.

Great support as usual for this event. I really enjoyed it. Well done GCH. A PB for me so happy days! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

3 stars (average)
    acurno wrote: »
    Good race really enjoyed it. Though it suffered again from the usual problem, slow runners and walkers starting near the front. Could only get about 30 yards close to the start line and the congestion for the 1st km was unbelievable. Suppose there's not a lot that can be done, but a reminder at registration about starting positions should still be done.

yeah I have to agree. I 'thought' i was pretty close to the start line but it took me ages to get past the walkers and joggers. It slowed me down alot and I couldn't make back up the time.

Nevertheless, it was a great race as usual. Well marshalled, and always great support from people on the side of the street. However I did notice that some people had to queue for water at Pearse Stadium. But i suppose with the massive volume of people participating, there might not be alot that could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

2 stars (poor)
    Enjoyable evening but . . . a car parked on the footpath on the Salmon Weir Bridge? Middle-aged and old ladies walking dogs on the prom while hundreds of runners bombed past them on both sides? A corner begging to be cut at about 6.5 km? Those who did saved about 50 metres. The winner and runner-up in the Women's race given the same official time?!

Photos here: http://eirefoto.com/10_galway_streets_home.htm

dochara wrote: »
    Enjoyable evening but . . . a car parked on the footpath on the Salmon Weir Bridge? Middle-aged and old ladies walking dogs on the prom while hundreds of runners bombed past them on both sides? The winner and runner-up in the Women's race given the same official time?!

Photos here: http://eirefoto.com/10_galway_streets_home.htm

Snap out of it....

That car wasn't in the way. Not ideal I know but who is going to be running over there? It wasn't on the race line.

The prom is a footpath. This was a road race. The racing line is on the road. People should not be running on the footpath along the prom. Do you know how many volunteers would be required to stop people walking the prom. Also, why should local residents have to give up their walk when the roads are already closed.

From what I hear it was a sprint finish so technically they could get the same time. Then again I was way too far down the field to comment on that. Just what I heard.

I think Mick says it all here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement