Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom Next Generation Broadband Trial (s Dublin/Wexford)

• 16-06-2010 8:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

eircom are to trial FTTH

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/16593/comms/eircom-to-trial-fibre-to-the-home-speeds-up-to-150mbps

Boss O'Donovan
    “I didn’t feel we could go another year talking about it. It’s time to get on with it. It is clear that FTTH will require significant investment. If we are going to build a network to the right scale, we really need to know how fibre-to-the-home is properly deployed.”

The Green Tooth Fairy sent a message from Japan where he is having a jolly all week. The moron evidently thinks that 3g mobile is the same as fibre :(
    My Department’s National Broadband Scheme has cracked the availability issue and will deliver broadband to every area of Ireland this autumn - three years ahead of the EU target of 2013 and 10 years ahead of the USA’s target of 2020.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

This is eircom so somehow i think they will **** it up somehow...why cant upc roll out fibre optic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The moron evidently thinks that 3g mobile is the same as fibre :(

Something should seriously be done about that lad. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes, so with an Eircom trial lasting approx 5 years and another 5 years just to roll it out to the rest of the big towns and cities, we shoudl have good broadband by about 2020! Nice one!

Why trial it, we know it works. Train up all your copper lads to fibre lads! Just roll it out now to where you can afford to roll it out to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

Another big NEW release, why does it take until spring 2011 to put in the infrastructure for a small trial??? Everyone and his dog knows FTTH works so why say trial. It will be interesting to see what actually happens and why confine it to the east of the country??

gbcullen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Because you need to round up the knuckle draggers and say unto them

"This is fibre, do not use the Krone tool on it lads, m'kayys"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    eircom are to trial FTTH

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/16593/comms/eircom-to-trial-fibre-to-the-home-speeds-up-to-150mbps

Boss O'Donovan

The Green Tooth Fairy sent a message from Japan where he is having a jolly all week. The moron evidently thinks that 3g mobile is the same as fibre :(

they are also bringing fiber to the cabinet later this year too, which means you can possibly get 24mb broadband but i aint waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FTTC can do 100Mbps, or more. Depends how far it is to cabinet. Also if you but obsolete or current state of art gear for copper pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ward2wise

I been bitching to eircom for months about my current broadband dropping
    and they have done sweet fa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Sooooo lemme see if i got this.....STT own Eircom.......STT sell fibre infrastructures (among other things)....Eircom are hinting that investment in a fibre infrastructure would have to come from many sources, including government....I wonder who will they buy it from? STT have been doing fibre networking for millennia yet Eircom have to test it first..... OOOhhh yeah...I forgot...we have a rare population distribution akin only to that of a country on the other side of the world....I wonder do their telecoms company use the same excuse?

damn Im getting cynical.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom should at least rollout ADSL2+ to every exchange in the country with up to 24meg packages for everyone instead of rolling out this trial to about 12 customers over the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The average speed would still be about 7 to 8Mbps and only about 10% would get more than 18Mbps. A waste of money. Better to put it into new fibre installs.

eircom muffed DSL, too little to slowly. ADSL2+ is now a obsolete technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

watty wrote: »
    The average speed would still be about 7 to 8Mbps and only about 10% would get more than 18Mbps. A waste of money. Better to put it into new fibre installs.

eircom muffed DSL, too little to slowly. ADSL2+ is now a obsolete technology.
    they are off my list, as my recent experience was not great with them.

they are expensive,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Super fast broadband and a 3 strikes policy don't sit well together.They set out to police our net activity-what do they expect people to use high speed broadband for, Farmville:confused: lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Virgin Media are trialling fibre optic in parts of UK by running it along telegraph poles to avoid digging up roads and cutting down costs.By the state of some of the poles here Eircom would be better off throwing cables along the ditches cos thats where they'd end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean2012

"By the state of some of the poles here Eircom would be better off throwing cables along the ditches cos thats where they'd end up."

they could just put the cables in boxs along the roadside wouldent be any danger to anyone

Advertisement