Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Rage

• 16-06-2010 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I am a very calm thoughtful experienced driver and I cant remember a time when I absolutly lost it behind the wheel. Have you experienced road rage ie got it, someone took issue with you or saw someone loosing it with another driver?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

... this is a bit pointless imo

I have noticed 'tis normally the repectable lucking Avensis or similar driving (often reps) folk are the quickest to be light flashers and middle finger up stickers. Inviting them out of the car to chat about their grievance has always resulted in them not getting out. Often they speed off and shout something out the window which is amusing, t0ssers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭cc

I have found generally that if a younger driver commits a minor error resulting in someone giving them a beep they are much more likely to raise the hand to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

E39MSport wrote: »
    ... this is a bit pointless imo

Why is that?

Why is that?

Bimmer drivers don't like these sort of threads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've been known to remove the odd wing mirror :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RoverJames wrote: »
    Bimmer drivers don't like these sort of threads ;)
    Ah now, not again! I have two friends with a weakness for shouting on about other peoples driving - one has a Forester turbo and the other does, i'm afraid, drive a BMW.

@KamiKazi - I'd keep quiet about that, it does the reputation of most decent motorcyclists no good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've had a few over the years, usually with scum in vans. The most recent one was a few months ago - was driving in an area I was unfamiliar with and yes I was driving a bit slowly (like 45 km/h in a 50 km/h zone). Transit driver behind goes bananas at being held up, starts flashing lights and blowing horn. Overtakes me where he didn't have room, misses me by inches, I blast the horn at him. He deliberately swerves at my car as if to ram it, now we's side by side and he's screaming and shaking his fist and is hanging so far out of the window of his van he's nearly falling out. I have my window down as well and am shouting, not sure if he can hear me. At this stage I'm thinking about what in my car I can use as a weapon if things get ugly. Thankfully he then peels off at a left hand filter lane while I'm going straight on, I wouldn't have liked to have stopped at a red traffic light with a nutter like that about.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I've had a few over the years, usually with scum in vans.

I parked illegally in a bank car park in Galway before Christmas, 'twas mad there, cars everywhere. Went back to the car and two dudes in a van were eyeballing me as I got into the car, as I drove off one of them made a gesture towards me (sort of a screw lose, pointing at his head braindead gesture thing). Out I got, strolled over, asked him did he have a problem. You shouldn't park there, true I said but I was obstructing no one and I'm gone now, also don't be implying I'm braindead thanks. F you he says, invite for him and his buddy to get out and talk about it, window up and door locked :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Driver forced me into the oncoming lane two days ago by overtaking on the left. After attempting to inform him he had nearly killed me, he tried to run me over. No lie. The worst I have ever seen in ten years on the road.

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    Driver forced me into the oncoming lane two days ago by overtaking on the left. After attempting to inform him he had nearly killed me, he tried to run me over. No lie. The worst I have ever seen in ten years on the road.

:eek: that's scarey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

lol at not wanting to stop at traffic lights with a nutter. Yet your thinking what can you use as a weapon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Anan1 wrote: »
    @KamiKazi - I'd keep quiet about that, it does the reputation of most decent motorcyclists no good at all.

Likewise the daily attempts on our(Motorcyclists) lives by ignorant, oblivious and/or feckless car drivers doing things like changing lanes blindly and pulling out in front of us (claiming they didn't see us), does nothing for the reputation of the car driver either.

It goes both ways.

Car driver v PowerRanger offtopic challenge starts there ^^^^^^^^^^

cager v PowerRanger offtopic challenge starts there ^^^^^^^^^^

FYP :p

hobochris wrote: »
    Likewise the daily attempts on our(Motorcyclists) lives by ignorant, oblivious and/or feckless car drivers doing things like changing lanes blindly and pulling out in front of us (claiming they didn't see us), does nothing for the reputation of the car driver either.

It goes both ways.
    It does, but you're feeding it. Or do you think kicking the mirrors off cars makes motorists more likely to consider the safety of bikers?

It does, but you're feeding it. Or do you think kicking the mirrors off cars makes motorists more likely to consider the safety of bikers?

I'll answer that but do you really want this to turn into another car vs. bike thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IBTL

Kicking wing mirrors is road rage. In a thread about road rage. As I see it, its on topic and anyone who is 'fed' by it is off topic and should be warned.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'll answer that but do you really want this to turn into another car vs. bike thread?
    I've said it before, I think the behaviour of many motorists towards bikers & cyclists is appalling. But if you start kicking the mirrors off cars then drivers will just get the idea in their heads that all bikers are scumbags, and that's a situation that will invariably result in dead or maimed bikers. I feel your frustration, but what's needed here is education & enforcement.

IBTL wrote: »
    Kicking wing mirrors is road rage. In a thread about road rage. As I see it, its on topic and anyone who is 'fed' by it is off topic and should be warned.
    I meant that the general disregard shown by motorists to bikers is fed by bikers kicking the mirrors off cars.

• Advertisement

I've said it before, I think the behaviour of many motorists towards bikers & cyclists is appalling. But if you start kicking the mirrors off cars then drivers will just get the idea in their heads that all bikers are scumbags, and that's a situation that will invariably result in dead or maimed bikers. I feel your frustration, but what's needed here is education & enforcement.

OK then.

Bikers are already seen as scumbags.

We can't pull some idiot of a car and sit them down and educate them about observation.

The shock of having a wing mirror hastily removed might just be the thing to make them think "Where the fvck did he come from???", which could very well save the life of another motorist / pedestrian down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hobochris wrote: »

I don't see them boasting about it here.

I think the worst I saw was a women who tried to run a red light on a right hand turn. She was so late the cars in the two lanes had already pulled away, forcing them to stop and creating a blockade in the middle of the dual carriageway. She actually got out of the car, screaming at the other people and began to kick door panels and pounding bonnets. Then reversed back into the car in the right hand filter lane. Then fled the scene by rejoining traffic on her side.

Legend of a day.

OK then.

By some, not by me and not by many other drivers.
    We can't pull some idiot of a car and sit them down and educate them about observation.
    No, but the State could do a lot more.
    The shock of having a wing mirror hastily removed might just be the thing to make them think "Where the fvck did he come from???", which could very well save the life of another motorist / pedestrian down the road.
    A slap on the roof might do that. Kicking the mirror off won't, it just breeds a 'bikers are scumbags' mentality.

At the end of the day, bikers need drivers to be aware of, and sympathetic to, their position. And that won't come from vandalising cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

OK then.

"Where did he come from?" he came from the same place ALL power rangers come from.. that blind spot they love right by your fuel cap.. zipping up inbetween 400+ cars, god help one who might want to change lanes?!
    Which brings me on to my point. What do the little lads mean when they wave their left welly at you as thay pass? Thank you or f*** you?

No, but the State could do a lot more.
    Unfortunately, the State doesn't seem too bothered, The RSA who are state appointed, are very slow(if they bother at all) in doing anything bike related.

An example of which is bikes using bus lanes, It was tried in London with great success, motorcycle crash statistics Plummeted for the London area, resulting in the bus lanes being opened up in other areas across the UK for bikers.

Here MAG (one of the main groups for motorcyclist's) Have been onto the RSA bashing them over the head with the facts but still no action from the RSA.

Even many Garda recognise the that its safer for bikers to use the bus lane and turn a blind eye, but the RSA still wont make the change in legislation despite the facts.

"Where did he come from?" he came from the same place ALL power rangers come from.. that blind spot they love right by your fuel cap.. zipping up inbetween 400+ cars, god help one who might want to change lanes?!
    Which brings me on to my point. What do the little lads mean when they wave their left welly at you as thay pass? Thank you or f*** you?

Same as waving their hand, thank you.

sometimes on a bike you need both hands so have to improvise.

Any chap on a bike who did that to a car I was in would want to speed off quite rapidly unless he fancied an extendable wheel brace having a chat with his faring etc.

I can't speak for every motorcyclist obviously, but one of the most basic parts of riding in traffic is not to sit in another vehicles blind spots so you just don't do it.

Sticking a boot out probably means thanks for making room for them to pass, although I'd use my hand personally

Inviting them out of the car to chat about their grievance has always resulted in them not getting out. Often they speed off and shout something out the window which is amusing, t0ssers.
    invite for him and his buddy to get out and talk about it, window up and door locked :rolleyes:
    Any chap on a bike who did that to a car I was in would want to speed off quite rapidly unless he fancied an extendable wheel brace having a chat with his faring etc.
    Let's give the big man talk a rest, eh?

• Advertisement

One thing to keep in mind is most bikers are dressed head to toe in armor, so if you do leave your vehicle for a confrontation you will probably end up a lot worse then he will.

Best thing to do is don't give any reason for a confrontation to occur in the first place, everyone wins.

That's as simple as looking twice for bikers and taking a split second more to look for a bike before you change lanes.

Let's give the big man talk a rest, eh?

Perfectly acceptable to mention kicking mirrors off cars though :rolleyes:
    It's not big man talk either, it's how I have dealt with fcuktards on the road, works very well I may add.

It's not big man talk either, it's how I have dealt with fcuktards on the road, works very well I may add.
    Final warning, next time it's a week off.

Final warning, next time it's a week off.

Whatever makes you happy dude, you're itching to wield your batton for a while now ;)

Whatever makes you happy dude, you're itching to wield your batton for a while now ;)
    *sighs*

*sighs*

In fairness we have left the big man talk and got into the homosexual innuendo talk now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Had a few over the years, most recent was with a taxi dirver a month or 2 ago. He changed lane forcing me to brake very hard and swerve. He claim that he was ahead of me and traffic was slow moving, his rear 1/4 panel was level with my steering wheel.

TBH, I am embarresed after I have ever had a go at someone in a road rage mannor and I am hoping just to let the issue go and get where I am heading to without the extra blood pressure.

As for Motorbikes, I am drive just over 15 years and only ever had 1 instance with a bike, his bag knocked my wing mirror, once I blew the horn his stopped, appoligised and that was the end of it. I find bikers to be the most careful on the roads, proper bikers, not hte scooter crowd.

In fairness we have left the big man talk and got into the homosexual innuendo talk now.
    Google 'transference';)

Google 'transference';)

Got ya. RoverJames had a incident as a child with a moderator on a message board and now goes out and kills moderators he considers loose. Google rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

This thread is all over the place!
    Anyhow... road rage... Had someone cut me up before. I hit the horn and the guy got out. Those who remember (anan included) my lovely thread dedicated to the fúck-wit. I got out and stood my ground. He fúcked off quick enough.

Other than that I've flashed the odd car for acting the dope but lately I'm clocking high mileage and find the best response is to just let it go like the *ahem* bimmer who cut me up on the M50- N4 exit 2 nights ago. He got sooo far until i caught up eventually at a set of lights and I just smiled :)

If we're still talking of motorcyclists I tend to check for them while driving as I've a lot of mates who are bikers. Trouble is when in traffic but moving i've noticed these bikes weaving between cars to get ahead which isn't cool because then it really is one min they're there. The next, gone. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Why is that?
    edit: forget it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

I am a very calm thoughtful experienced driver and I cant remember a time when I absolutly lost it behind the wheel. Have you experienced road rage ie got it, someone took issue with you or saw someone loosing it with another driver?

I used to get wound up, but a couple of years ago decided to try my best to never get emotionally involved while driving. Coincided with having kids so maybe it's something to do with having enough drama at home. :)

I no longer get wound up by others whether they make a mistake or act aggressively, don't make spur of the moment decisions in a huff, don't confront people, and arrive where I'm going relaxed and with a clear conscience.

It's good, try giving it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

I've been known to remove the odd wing mirror :o

Well, not specifically about you, nor about kicking wing mirrors off cars, and not even specifically about rage on the road, but:

Consider that some day, one of us may cross paths with someone who has nothing to lose. Fking the wrong person off could completely mess up a lot of people's lives - the people involved and their families etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    Consider that some day, one of us may cross paths with someone who has nothing to lose. Fking the wrong person off could completely mess up a lot of people's lives - the people involved and their families etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Rage_(film)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Last week I was driving ont he quays and saw a big sign with a message from the Garda:
    "Be careful to the cyclists", something like that. Then a few minutes later, still on the quays, a bloody bike was cycling towards us (Meaning opposite direction of the road) then cut us all (Like the 3 lanes, including the bus).
    Yeah sometimes I want to do road rage ;)

With regards to bikers, where I come from when you see a motorbike behind you use your indicator to let him know you saw him and that he can overtake you safely. It works well and always they give you a small sign to thank you (Hand or foot).

Here in Ireland, I still do that, but no biker ever thanked me. Difference in education/training I suppose. Bikers in other countries do not drive better than the Irish ones, this is just a training issue I suppose, where people learn how to drive together on the roads. When I do that, bikers here probably do not understand, or maybe afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I used to get wound up, but a couple of years ago decided to try my best to never get emotionally involved while driving. Coincided with having kids so maybe it's something to do with having enough drama at home. :)

I no longer get wound up by others whether they make a mistake or act aggressively, don't make spur of the moment decisions in a huff, don't confront people, and arrive where I'm going relaxed and with a clear conscience.

It's good, try giving it a go!

Thats the way to do it. Its better to be chilled than racing everyone on the road and expect that most other drivers are probably bad decision makers especially those from different county who never bothers checking the route and wander around the place lost they really get on my goat .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Crazy as it must sound, I long for the relative sanity of Irish drivers. In the town I live in in the States, I feel road rage every day, even when I'm not driving. Just walking around and watching the way other people drive, it drives me feckin nuts, no pun intended!

When they're turning left (think:turning right in Ireland/UK) they take the racing line around the corner, i.e. the shortest, smoothest curve through the corner - which means driving on the wrong side of the road for a short period. They all do it - al the time! They hardly even bother to slow down Now if you're approaching a T-junction, and they're coming form your right, and planning to turn onto your road - you can't drive right up to the line the way you'd expect to - you'll crash into them.

I'm worried coz I think I'll loose it if it ever happens to me, and I have visions of me going bat **** crazy, in front of the cops, and no one understanding why I didn't stop further back and donate my half of the road to some ****1ng retard who's too lazy to drive up the the corner and make a right-angle turn. Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

firefly08 wrote: »
    When they're turning left (think:turning right in Ireland/UK) they take the racing line around the corner, i.e. the shortest, smoothest curve through the corner - which means driving on the wrong side of the road for a short period. They all do it - al the time! They hardly even bother to slow down Now if you're approaching a T-junction, and they're coming form your right, and planning to turn onto your road - you can't drive right up to the line the way you'd expect to - you'll crash into them.
    Exactly the same as in Ireland then .. I see this every day near where I live.

Well, not specifically about you, nor about kicking wing mirrors off cars, and not even specifically about rage on the road, but:

They'd have to catch me to fvck me up :)
    CaraFawn wrote: »
    Here in Ireland, I still do that, but no biker ever thanked me. Difference in education/training I suppose. Bikers in other countries do not drive better than the Irish ones, this is just a training issue I suppose, where people learn how to drive together on the roads. When I do that, bikers here probably do not understand, or maybe afterwards.

Well obviously I can't speak for every biker, but I know myself and all the guys I regurlarly go on spins with always give a wave or a thumbs up if a car moves over to let us pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Well obviously I can't speak for every biker, but I know myself and all the guys I regurlarly go on spins with always give a wave or a thumbs up if a car moves over to let us pass.

Ok that's good then.
    The indicator is an additional sign that the driver of the car definitely saw you, so you know he did not move the wheel by accident too.

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Ok that's good then.
    The indicator is an additional sign that the driver of the car definitely saw you, so you know he did not move the wheel by accident too.

In this country random indicator flashes are generally a sign that the driver is about to do something retarded :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement