Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Rage

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

SARASON wrote: »
    I cant see why this has gone of topic in to a bikers thread. Anyway i always respect bikers on the road. If a bike is behind me ill keep in as far as i can to let him/her out. I always get a wave back...

Back to road rage a fella with a mondeo nearly cut the front of my car of at newlands cross. I was savage (it was really close now!). I blew the horn at him and he jammed on and gave me the finger. I got out at the red light and tried to open his door. He locked it so i hit the window really hard with my fist and smashed it. I couldnt believe it broke me hand was sore for ages. Mondeo man fcuked of straight away white as a sheet..

lmao, that's road rage alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Back to road rage a fella with a mondeo nearly cut the front of my car of at newlands cross. I was savage (it was really close now!). I blew the horn at him and he jammed on and gave me the finger. I got out at the red light and tried to open his door. He locked it so i hit the window really hard with my fist and smashed it. I couldnt believe it broke me hand was sore for ages. Mondeo man fcuked of straight away white as a sheet..
    By all means share your stories of road rage, but any more posts of the 'I assaulted/tried to assault someone and aren't I great' variety will result in a no-warning ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anan1 wrote: »
    By all means share your stories of road rage, but any more posts of the 'I assaulted/tried to assault someone and aren't I great' variety will result in a no-warning ban.

Well maybe if you explained this in post 2 after the op asked to share road rage stories i wouldnt have posted it.

Theres no point locking the door when the horse has gone down the field. Ill edit the post.

Well maybe if you explained this in post 2 after the op asked to share road rage stories i wouldnt have posted it.

Theres no point locking the door when the horse has gone down the field. Ill edit the post.
    That's why I warned you instead of banning you. It's grand, just as long as we're all clear from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Exactly the same as in Ireland then .. I see this every day near where I live.

Haha fair enough...maybe home sickness has dulled my memory (I do seem to remember a lot of rage when I lived in Ireland to...)

I think different places definitely have their own rhythm and style when it comes to driving, that's probably what sends me over the edge with the auld RR. ...with people here cutting one another off left, right and centre, driving on the wrong side etc. ...no one else looses the plot over it- they just expect it. They see someone coming, they know they're gonna be cut off. If they drove in Ireland they'd probably have the same problem I have, they'd probably say we're aggressive and impatient, whereas we think we're being assertive and efficient.

The thing to ask ourselves about banging on people windows, screaming stuff etc. is, even if you made a dangerous mistake, and you knew it, how would you react to that stuff? You wouldn't be apologetic for very long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I've said it before, I think the behaviour of many motorists towards bikers & cyclists is appalling. But if you start kicking the mirrors off cars then drivers will just get the idea in their heads that all bikers are scumbags, and that's a situation that will invariably result in dead or maimed bikers. I feel your frustration, but what's needed here is education & enforcement.

I would never endorse kicking the mirrors off cars.
    You could loose your balance and fall. It's best to have a waterpistol full of breakfluid and just squirt it at their paintjob.
    And I'm a car driver.
    But after this bastard in a (yes, I know but I actually think it's not all of them) BMW (again, not against beemers in general) parked on the rear tire of my bicycle, flattened it and roared off with a smirk on his face I do SO wish I could have done a couple of grands worth of damage to his paint, so he might think twice in future before doing this to someone else.
    I have been good over the last few years, but what twice drove me to try and catch up with some arseholes was the fact that they where behind me at the junction joining the mainroad, but OVERTOOK me as I was turning onto the main road.
    I raced after them in both cases, the first guy was too quick, couldn't catch him, the second guy jammed his brakes on trying to get me to crash into him, was too quick for that. Followed him at half an inch with full lights until he pulled over and let me pass.
    This was many years ago, would never do anything so stupid and reckless these days, not defending it, it was stupid and wrong.
    One more incident:
    Let a car out of a side road. He didn't immediately see me so I gave him a few more seconds. Fcukface behind me starts beeping me as the traffic has moved on a couple of inches (traffic jam into town at the time). He then overtakes me as I waited for the car from the sideroad to pull out.
    I abaondon Mr Sleepy from the side (who still hadn't twigged that I was flashing and waving at HIM to drive out), put the foot down but narrowly lost to the car behind me who pulled in in front of me and slammed on the brakes so I would crash into him (aren't people lovely?).
    I saw what he was up to, as he braked, I maintained my acceleration, swerved around him as he came to a stop and pulled in ahead of him and slammed on MY brakes.
    Sadly to my ever lasting regret he didn't rear end me, so no pay day.
    No apologies for that, what I did wasn't great, but this wanker wouldn't even wait in traffic for someone to let someone else out onto the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I rarely get angry, but whenever I do its only after having a string of people one after another f*** up in front of me over the course of a few minutes.

I'm only trying to get home or whatever and all people do is cut me off, brake and then indicate at the last second, sit on my ass, whatever. If a few things like that happen over a short period of time i'll blow them out of it or roar as loud as I can. I'd never get violent, but I guess none of us know that until something really nerve racking happens.

Maybe then we'd all feel like jumping out of the car and doing what SARASON did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

E39MSport wrote: »
    ... this is a bit pointless imo
    Why? Seems quite a reasonable tread to me and many others judging by the amount of replys so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I would never endorse kicking the mirrors off cars....

...out onto the road.

Jesus, I hope you've grown up since doing all that. That's some pretty shocking driving and hardly something to be boasting about..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Had a biker try to get me out of the car in castleknock once because i flipped him off after he made some gesture at me for being in his way stopped at traffic.

He came back to the window and i wound it down an inch "did you just give me the finger" ..."yep" close window ...he didnt like it one bit that i was laughing at his mentalness and he offered to 'sort me out'.... Some people are dingbats.

Couldnt stop cos it was spaghetti bolognese for dinner that night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Why? Seems quite a reasonable tread to me and many others judging by the amount of replys so far.

But how many of the replies have been from the hard men, eh?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

my weapon in my car is a bottle of body spray...yes I would use it if provoked...

The last road rage dodgy driver incident I had was 3months ago in a shopping centre car park. I stopped to let a driver pull out of the car park as there car was sticking out so I would've had to drive into oncoming lane to drive around them. Then along comes the idiot behind me in his boy racer car (civic of some kind) beeps me then overtakes me :eek: drives into oncoming lane which resulted in everyone stopping to let the boy racer pass through....could have caused an accident had the driver I was letting out did not look in my direction.

Another incident my parents had, which mother found frightening....herself and my dad were driving through a neighbourhood when a young dude in a car, turning out from a housing estate shot out in front of my fathers car...my dad beeped while jamming on the brakes...the dodgy chap turned and looked at my dad..stuck his middle finger up, did a U turn in the road and drove behind my fathers car, tailgating, beeping and flashing his lights. My mother was terrified that if stopped at a red light this crazy mofo would get out of the car and approach them...had I have been in the car...I would've jumped out armed with my body spray.... :pac: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just thought of another one from a few months ago. Driving on a narrow road, there's a car in front of me and some behind. We come to an obstruction (parked car) and there's an oncoming car. The oncoming car stops and waves on the car in front of me. Rather than follow immediately I stop, put out my right indicator and wait till he has completed his maneouvre. Oncoming car then waves me on as well. At this point the fella behind must be getting impatient as he goes to overtake at the same time as I pull out. Blows me out of it. My hand goes out the window and up goes my middle finger. He then goes bananas, flashing lights and blowing horn and starts driving up my arse. Not wanting to stop or lead him to my house I take him on a tour of the area. He's behind me for a couple of miles and is definitely following me. I lead him to the Garda station and pull in there. He passes while screaming abuse out the window then drives off.

Moral of the story - there are some angry people out there and giving them the finger doesn't improve matters :)

Brian, I think if I was in your situation and I hope I never am but I would love to jam on and have him smack into the back off me....I think the law might be in my favour as the car behind should stay a certain distance behind the car in front....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

My usual solution for somebody who is in the throws of road rage is to hold up a copy of the rules of the road. For some reason, it produces the best reaction I've ever seen. They stop mid rant.......

Although the one thing that will have me on the horn straight away is somebody stopping on the main road to leave somebody in from a minor road. If the traffic is stopped anyway and the person doesn't move to allow one in from the minor road, it's fair enough (I've done that myself) but stopping on the main road for that really annoys me.

• Advertisement

^^ as bad as that is people who are turning off to the right from a main road and stop dead in the middle of the road indicating, without making the slightest effort to hug the centre line and let traffic behind pass. Pet hate of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ianobrien wrote: »
    Although the one thing that will have me on the horn straight away is somebody stopping on the main road to leave somebody in from a minor road. If the traffic is stopped anyway and the person doesn't move to allow one in from the minor road, it's fair enough (I've done that myself) but stopping on the main road for that really annoys me.
    Excessive courtesy can be a major annoyance. I see this regularly in Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford. There'e a traffic light controlled T junction between the N4 and N55 roads. Very close to the junction (on the N55 road) there is an entrance to a shop car park. What usually happens is there is a queue of car waiting on the N55, the light goes green and some good samaritan decides to hold up the whole show by waving several cars out of the car park. :mad: While this dilly-dallying is going on, the traffic signal turns red and queueing drivers who should have gotten though on the green have to wait another cycle.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Excessive courtesy can be a major annoyance. I see this regularly in Edgeworthstown, Co. Longford. There'e a traffic light controlled T junction between the N4 and N55 roads. Very close to the junction (on the N55 road) there is an entrance to a shop car park. What usually happens is there is a queue of car waiting on the N55, the light goes green and some good samaritan decides to hold up the whole show by waving several cars out of the car park. :mad: While this dilly-dallying is going on, the traffic signal turns red and queueing drivers who should have gotten though on the green have to wait another cycle.
    It's actually not courtesy at all - it's getting the feel-goods at the expense of the car behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I've noticed that as I do more and more driving, I am getting less patient (or maybe it's ever since I started driving a BMW)..About every 2nd or 3rd car I drive behind seems to be driven by someone who's either:
    a. dead
    b. retarded

This results in me getting more and more wound up, but I just shout at them while still driving, and I wouldnt do anything like giving someone the finger or the 'evil eye'...i keep my grievances largely to myself or whoever is in the car with me.

I'd rate my own driving as average to decent, but the amount of absolutely ****e drivers seems to be increasing. How there aren't far more fatal crashes, I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Having one or two scary incidents in my past I now carry a Ironbar under the seat in my car, if I am threatened or feel there is a danger to myself or any occupants I would not be afraid to use it in self defense.

I would hope that the sight of it would be enough to defuse any mental lunatic who would think of challenging me. I hate to have to carry such a thing but have no choice but to take one for self defense due to the nature of society today and I am not the sort of person to back down in a situation and will fight rather than been wronged. If this country had more liberal gun laws I would be packing instead.

I am not afraid to fight and if someone crosses my path and threatens me, my family or enters my property they can expect an immediate death sentence.

I drive a BMW and am far superior to the majority of the troglodytes on the road, I feel that boards has a high percentage of genuinely good drivers so people can understand my pov.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Having one or two scary incidents in my past I now carry a Ironbar under the seat in my car, if I am threatened or feel there is a danger to myself or any occupants I would not be afraid to use it in self defense.

I would hope that the sight of it would be enough to defuse any mental lunatic who would think of challenging me. I hate to have to carry such a thing but have no choice but to take one for self defense due to the nature of society today and I am not the sort of person to back down in a situation and will fight rather than been wronged. If this country had more liberal gun laws I would be packing instead.

I am not afraid to fight and if someone crosses my path and threatens me, my family or enters my property they can expect an immediate death sentence.
    FFS, you're in a car - would you not just drive off? As an aside, have you considered what an iron bar under the seat might do to someones legs in a bad crash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

...Ironbar...not be afraid to use it ...not the sort of person to back down i...will fight...mmediate death sentence.

You're either kidding, completely mental, or
    drive a BMW
    Fair enough, so! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

FFS, you're in a car - would you not just drive off? As an aside, have you considered what an iron bar under the seat might do to someones legs in a bad crash?

I don't intend on crashing anytime soon, there are enough idiots doing that as it is. So you would just drive off if some say kicked off your mirror, keyed your car or smashed a window. Don't even bother suggesting the guards as the local dog warden would of more use, if someone crosses me I will dish out proper justice that will hurt the offender properly. Police are useless in any criminal matter and if anybody steals from me or hurts me or my family in any way they will be sorry they ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ottostreet wrote: »
    .About every 2nd or 3rd car I drive behind seems to be driven by someone who's either:
    a. dead
    b. retarded

Just assume that every other driver is a retarded coffin dodger regardless of their current display of driving and you will find yourself calming down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I drive a BMW and am far superior to the majority of the troglodytes on the road,

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is all.

I don't intend on crashing anytime soon, there are enough idiots doing that as it is. So you would just drive off if some say kicked off your mirror, keyed your car or smashed a window. Don't even bother suggesting the guards as the local dog warden would of more use, if someone crosses me I will dish out proper justice that will hurt the offender properly. Police are useless in any criminal matter and if anybody steals from me or hurts me or my family in any way they will be sorry they ever did.
    I didn't ban you for your previous post (despite previous warnings) as I was under the impression that you'd only use the bar in self-defence. If you're the type who would assault someone with an iron bar over a broken wing mirror then that's your affair, but don't post it here. Banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I own the road so i Kill anyone who messes with me mad max style.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Jesus, I hope you've grown up since doing all that. That's some pretty shocking driving and hardly something to be boasting about..

Have definitely grown up since, these where the major incidents of my life over many years, it's not like that sh*t happens to me every week. ;)
    Just one more tale from the dual carriageway.
    Down our ways, where the valleys are green and mostly populated by cows there is a high incidence of farmers.
    Most of which are old enough to have held a licence in the 70's and therefore got their driving licence by the grace of god. They are therefore entitled to be on the road by divine will, have the right of way, shalt not be overtaken and, quite frankly, are god's gift to other road users.
    Anyways, I stray from the point.
    This charming old country gent (old bastard) was driving along the dual carriageway in his off road vehicle ('89 piece of sh*t held together by baling twine).
    Since of course he has seniority on the road (been drrivin' here forr forrty yearrs!), he naturally dictates pace, along country lanes that is easy, just trundle along at 60 km/h whilst making yourself as wide as possible so no one can get past. And why should they, he is more important than everyone else.
    But on the dual carriageway this is not so easy, he notices that cars DARE to pas him, HIM!
    A stop has to be put to all of this.
    Easy! Just pull into fast lane and continue to trundle at 80 km/h, thus forcing other cars to either sit behind him the whole way (cause he was NOT going to move) or force them to undertake.
    I happened to be stuck behind him too and was forced to undertake along with a good dozen other cars.
    Stuff like that annoys me no end. Had a look at the jeep, ancient, rusty, full lights on and front and rear fogs on, just to cause maximum hassle and aggro.
    I underttok him carefully, pulled out a good distance ahead of him and slowly and gently slowed down. I did not brake hard or go off the gas suddenly, just gently lift off so my car would gradually slow down until he came up behind me and now I was holding him up.
    He sat there for a while not knowing what to do (he's the one dishing it out, can't take it though).
    He finally decides he's going to undertake me but I'm ready and every time he tries I speed up and he cannot get past.
    Finally come up to my exit, I take it and overjoyed to see he's behind me taking the same exit.
    Of course I felt oblidged to crawl up the exit at 30 km/h with him behind me and at this stage I can sense there's steam coming out his ears.
    Reach the junction at the top and of course I have to make sure I am clear to proceed (better wait 10 seconds, could be something I missed...) at which point he makes a dive past me, I was expecting it, floor it and speed off into the distance with him screaming, waving fists, flashing, swerving, beeping and generally in a massive fit of undiscribable rage.
    This happened about 10 years ago, I would not do that stuff today, I realised that if you're driving along a country road you will meet country traffic and if you're going along a narrow, windy, potholed boreen (also known as a main road in Ireland), you will get held up by everyone who happens to drive along at 60-80 km/h (i.e. every 2nd or 3rd person) and that about 80 km/h on anything that is not at least a dual carriageway is the de facto speed limit.
    For some reason I do not get annoyed anymore, doesn't bother me, just open the window a bit and turn the music up.
    The biggest realisation was that you have to expect traffic, slow drivers and dumb behaviour and you have to be ok with that. There's no point getting annoyed at another person, it won't help and they won't get it or won't care in any case.
    I just let it go but if I see some really crazy sh*t that leaves me speechless I call the cops (done that twice in my life so it's not that bad out there).
    And remember: A fast car, Iron Maiden on the stereo, several cups of coffee, a few shots of red bull and a couple of Hamlets a tight schedule and tight country roads are not a winning combination.
    Should you find yourself in the above situation, turn the noise down, call in sick, go home and lie down.
    Letting it go and not being impatient and aggressive was hard initially, but it gets easier every day. At least I keep telling myself that. :cool:

The biggest realisation was that you have to expect traffic, slow drivers and dumb behaviour and you have to be ok with that. There's no point getting annoyed at another person, it won't help and they won't get it or won't care in any case.
    That's called wisdom.

That's called wisdom.

Thanks, never been accused of that before, must be getting old. ;)

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    But how many of the replies have been from the hard men, eh?;)
    Just been reading back through the posts and hey maybe you were right, its not really going anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ottostreet wrote: »
    I've noticed that as I do more and more driving, I am getting less patient (or maybe it's ever since I started driving a BMW)..About every 2nd or 3rd car I drive behind seems to be driven by someone who's either:
    a. dead
    b. retarded

This results in me getting more and more wound up, but I just shout at them while still driving, and I wouldnt do anything like giving someone the finger or the 'evil eye'...i keep my grievances largely to myself or whoever is in the car with me.

I'd rate my own driving as average to decent, but the amount of absolutely ****e drivers seems to be increasing. How there aren't far more fatal crashes, I don't know.

you are converting to the dar force.... you have to fight it!

p.s. i got a biggest spanner behind my seat, just in case of road rage... so far i didnt needed to use it, i hope it will stay like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

you are converting to the dar force.... you have to fight it!

p.s. i got a biggest spanner behind my seat, just in case of road rage... so far i didnt needed to use it, i hope it will stay like that.

What size spanner is it cos I saw a hugh monster of one once it would have turned a nut the size of my head.

Lads, you really don't want to be driving around with heavy unsecured objects in your cars. You're a lot more likely to be in a crash then you are to need such a weapon for self-defence, and if you do crash then a big loose spanner can do passengers a lot of damage.

You're also very likely to get yourself in a lot of trouble. If the other person is more competent than you, they could disarm you and use your weapon on you. Or you could be arrested for assault if you batter someone.
    Having said that I know plenty of people who carry various hard objects in their car for defense.

I just remembered this second, I was driving through Dundalk late at night about a year ago and I pulled ahead of an old beaten up Peugeot, he thought I cut him up when in fact I had right of way. We ended up side by side for a few seconds waiting for traffic ahead to move on and i heard this bang bang bang noise. I looked out my window and there he was whacking a wooden baseball bat against his own passenger window! Its guys like him you don't want carrying weapons in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

Brian, I think if I was in your situation and I hope I never am but I would love to jam on and have him smack into the back off me....I think the law might be in my favour as the car behind should stay a certain distance behind the car in front....:pac:
    Sure, you slamming on your brakes for no reason is dangerous driving you f*ckw*t.

angry_bob wrote: »
    Sure, you slamming on your brakes for no reason is dangerous driving you f*ckw*t.

Banned for 3 days for personal abuse.

Please read the Charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Jebus. Boreds.ie spinoff anyone ?

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

... for the predictability of the whole thing. Hence my first post in the thread.

Someone here made a comment on another thread recently on the lines of if someone does something stupit on the road, instead of getting angry just laugh at them, it works well ive tried it, give it a go roadragers.

E39MSport wrote: »
    ... for the predictability of the whole thing. Hence my first post in the thread.

Fair 'nuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Back to the bikers on this thread.
    I always give special attention to bikers cos one bike is one less car on the road causes less traffic congestion.
    So when I spot a bike in my rear view mirror on say a dual carriage way in heavy slow moving traffic I will make a definate manover to show them a clear path, on open national routes I slow down when I see a clear pice of road I flick my indicator left to tell them yea go on ahead pass me.
    I do the latter with cars as well, no need to have a lunitic behind me.
    I remember this idiot once and looking in my mirror he was passing out cars dangerously, including myself. I said to my passenger "that idiot will end up in hospital" Sure enough 3/4 hour later traffic jam. When we finally came across the problem here was your man smashed into another car and emergency services on the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭cc

slightly off topic, lent on the horn this morning when the guy in front wandered into my lane in traffic as if I was invisible.....was very uncomfortable when I saw he was my neighbour. Ended up giving each other a type of internationally recognised hand gesture for "ah sure it happens" :p

cc wrote: »
    slightly off topic, lent on the horn this morning when the guy in front wandered into my lane in traffic as if I was invisible.....was very uncomfortable when I saw he was my neighbour. Ended up giving each other a type in internationally recognised hand gesture for "ah sure it happens" :p
    That's a very good point - there's a tendency in a car not to see the other driver as a person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Back to the bikers on this thread.
    I always give special attention to bikers cos one bike is one less car on the road causes less traffic congestion.
    So when I spot a bike in my rear view mirror on say a dual carriage way in heavy slow moving traffic I will make a definate manover to show them a clear path, on open national routes I slow down when I see a clear pice of road I flick my indicator left to tell them yea go on ahead pass me.
    I do the latter with cars as well, no need to have a lunitic behind me.
    I remember this idiot once and looking in my mirror he was passing out cars dangerously, including myself. I said to my passenger "that idiot will end up in hospital" Sure enough 3/4 hour later traffic jam. When we finally came across the problem here was your man smashed into another car and emergency services on the scene.

I do same thing with bikers. If I have a space to go left, I allways do and let biker go pass. Amazingly all bikers are very polite and will wave to thank.

Thpught a few times when I let pass a biker, a car in front of me wount move at all...

And road rage... Some poeple bashed idea of having something in car for defence, but when you get an idiot with only rage in his eyes, trying to kick your mirrors off, breaking windows, then every little helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The problem with having a weapon in your vehicle is an arms race scenario, what if the other person has a better weapon? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Amazingly all bikers are very polite and will wave to thank.

As a biker (and car driver) I make sure to thank drivers when they do noticeably see me. Sometimes I find myself, erm, making progress, only to come behind someone and they make every effort to get out of the way when they shouldn't (eg coming up to a bend) so I usually wave them back to their "correct" place in lane in front of me. After the bend I can then usually overtake safely with a wave from both parties. It's nice when we all just get along

I think it was answered earlier too, but the leg waving is similar to hand waving, but on a bike left hand is clutch, right hand is brake, so sometimes one can't wave with the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I do same thing with bikers. If I have a space to go left, I allways do and let biker go pass. Amazingly all bikers are very polite and will wave to thank.

I also try to leave bikers past, mostly cos I know they won't just get in front of me, then slow down to slower than I was going. Even the ones that don't wave thanks, I wouldn't be too worried, it's safer to keep their hands where they are, and keep paying attention, and I know they're grateful anyway.
    Though a few times when I let pass a biker, a car in front of me wount move at all...

This constantly happens, letting a bike past, then the car in front suddenly decides it needs to drive with two wheels on the white line. Or when stopped at traffic lights, cars see a bike filtering through, and start rolling the car out to the right to block it.
    And road rage... Some poeple bashed idea of having something in car for defence, but when you get an idiot with only rage in his eyes, trying to kick your mirrors off, breaking windows, then every little helps...

In my experience, these people are all ready to fight, up until the point where the person they threaten gets out of their own car, and they realise that there's actually people involved.

angry_bob wrote: »

Who you calling a f*ckw*t?? Think you need anger management classes BOB :) Well it make them think twice bout tailgating in the future and anyways if you have a heart attack from the fright, shock and terror the tailgater is putting on you, it's hardly dangerous driving :eek:

Which brings me onto another point of driving...Parking...do you ppl not realise that you drive in between the white lines in a car space and not over the white line....:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement