Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Question and General Maintenance.

Options
  • 16-06-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I have just got my deposit from From my rented accommodation this year. The original sum was €500 and i got back €350 today to my dis-pleasure.

On the letter which came attached with the said sum of money(cheque) was details of what the money was deducted for.

€110 for painting Half a bedroom,
    €10 for Painting hall a kitchen and wall damage.
    €10 for a new door bathroom handle
    €10 Rent Due (no problem with this, Its owed so happy to pay it)

They then adde VAT to this to bring it just to over the €150 mark.

My question is that is the Management company not responsible for the up keep of the apartment ie.Painting etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It depends how long you were in the place; if only short time, then painting etc should not be neccessary under the 'normal wear and tear' rule, and thus if it is necessary because of something you did, you need to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

conroym7 wrote: »
    Hi, I have just got my deposit from From my rented accommodation this year. The original sum was €500 and i got back €350 today to my dis-pleasure.

On the letter which came attached with the said sum of money(cheque) was details of what the money was deducted for.

My question is that is the Management company not responsible for the up keep of the apartment ie.Painting etc.

Your deposit is there to cover damage incurred beyond reasonable wear-and-tear.

Repainting would be considered within the bounds of wear-and-tear, especially if you had been there longer a year or longer. Unless that bedroom wall had been damaged in some way (and how, by the way, can painting a bedroom cost 110, while repairing damage *and* painting the kitchen cost 10??) then I would certainly question that portion of it.

It's clear that there is a general perception in Ireland that a renter's deposit is there to be used as a landlord's DIY fund at the end of a tenancy. I would recommend that you add your voice to Threshold's campaign for a state-run deposit protection scheme - coincidentally enough I emailed my TDs about this only a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Painting is not to be charged to you (unless you drew on the wall or something similarly extreme).

Write back and state you wish to have the money charged for painting refunded to you. State if you do not receive it, you will lodge a case with the PRTB for unfair retention of that portion of the deposit. If you don't have it within 10 days lodge the PRTB case and wait for it to come around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

conroym7 wrote: »

Unless you damaged the place, that's illegal. You are not responsible for cleaning, painting and decorating.

Bring your case to the PRTB. Get onto Threshold as well.

Advertisement