Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Algeria, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

• 16-06-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

a99.jpg
    England -v- Algeria
    Match 23 - Group C
    Cape Town - Green Point Stadium
    Friday 18 June, 2010
    7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Here, wtf? That's over 2 days away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

England banging on about the Jabulani - seemingly the Germans had been using it in the Bundesliga so have plenty of experience.

The Kaiser starting the mind games ahead of a potential meeting in the last 16.

Barry could be in line to feature against the Algerians.

I wont be betting any money on England after that display against the USA.

England press conference with Rooney live on SSN now.

Rooney said none of the games in the tournament have really excited him.

His partnership with Heskey is fine.

He aint interested in the Kaiser's comments.

He wouldnt mind a Xmas break in England.

Naming the the team 2hrs before kick-off has no effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Green
    Cole
    Terry----Dawson/Carra----Johnson---
    Milner
    Barry
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Gerrard

Rooney

My guess. Should have no trouble. 3-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Green
    Cole Terry Dawson Johnson

Milner Barry Lampard Lennon

Gerrard

Rooney.

My guess. Should have no trouble. 3-0

why would one of the best left backs in the world suddenly move to the right?

My guess. Should have no trouble. 3-0

I just dont know.

After that performance against the USA I am concerned for them to be honset.

Anyone know out of england's qualifiers how many times did rooney start on his own up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Green
    Cole
    Terry----Dawson/Carra----Capdevilla---
    Milner
    Barry
    Lampard
    Lennon
    Gerrard

Rooney

My guess. Should have no trouble. 3-0.

So good he's playing for two teams at the WC :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I have a work night out that night, should be fun, free booze and food to go along with the game. :pac:

My england 11 would be,

Green

Johnson Terry Dawson A.Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard J.Cole

Heskey Rooney

Really think J.cole needs to play wide left, putting Milner or Gerrard out there when there so effective from the middle is stupid, picked Heskey up front, mainly because of him bringing other players in to the game, but Gerrard could play there with Barry playing in the middle, Gerrard off rooney would allow England to use the ball better, IMO of course, up front between Gerrard and Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

They will get a better result this time I reckon which will let them continue to think they are world cup contenders. They will get that result because they will just have to much individual quality for Algeria and it will prevail in the end. But I don't think they will be playing well and therefore I don't think it will be convincing. I don't think they are world cup contenders and I can't see them progressing past the quarter finals unless some sort miracle transformation happens.

As match as I dislike the term as it is an 'Eamon term' but what describes the England team best is 'Pedestrian'. There is no spark in that side. Their moves just won't surprise anyone.
    Sometimes you look at a team playing and you just know. Just like you knew looking at the German teams in 1998 and 2002. The difference with Germany is that they play as a team even when they're ****e which gets them reasonable result even with a crap squad. Cant see that happening in the England squad, they just don't have the mentality for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Crouchie needs to start.
    I know Heskey played well (relative to the rest of the team) but his record as a goal scorer and provider stands for itself.
    Plus I want to see the robot.

No chance he'll do it but.

Hart

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Lennon Milner Carrick J. Cole

Stevie G

God.

Not changing green for the mistake, but I think hart is the form keeper and should have been in the line up against the USA.

Plenty of width, bit of steel from milner, some creativity from Carrick, easy link up to rooney v stevie G.

But alas it'll probably Terry, to heskey, to algeria :mad:

He needs to get some balls and drop lamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

According to the BBC Gareth Barry will be starting.

Just wonder will he switch Gerrard to the left, or play him behind Rooney.

If it were me i'd have him playing behind Rooney.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If Barry is starting we could hopefully see Heskey dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ntlbell wrote: »
    Not changing green for the mistake, but I think hart is the form keeper and should have been in the line up against the USA.

Plenty of width, bit of steel from milner, some creativity from Carrick, easy link up to rooney v stevie G.

But alas it'll probably Terry, to heskey, to algeria :mad:

He needs to get some balls and drop lamps.

unless Barry's still injured, i'd definitely leave Carrick on the bench. his confidence has looked shot recently thanks to the season he's just had. and even at that anyway, i'd prefer...

Milner/Barry

Lamps
    Lennon
    Stevie
    Cole
    Rooney

USA is the only bad game Lamps has had really in months. you couldn't drop him. especially for Carrick. the only thing Carrick's got going for him is that he plays with Rooney at club level, but it's a bit of a stretch to include him on that basis.

i agree, Milner is the only thing approaching 'steel' that England have, even though he's an AM by trade. he should probably be playing in there. whatever of Barry's composure he lacks, he makes up for in energy and endeavour.

and you're right, it'll be Heskey and Rooney. the whole world can see he's not playing his best team not playing Stevie behind Rooney, but Capello is too stubborn not to persist with the direct, long ball game, at which Heskey is England's best option (of those that are in SA).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

redout wrote: »
    England banging on about the Jabulani - seemingly the Germans had been using it in the Bundesliga so have plenty of experience.

They couldn't use it in England prior to the tournament because of existing sponsorships (Nike?) I think.

SlickRic wrote: »
    and you're right, it'll be Heskey and Rooney. the whole world can see he's not playing his best team not playing Stevie behind Rooney, but Capello is too stubborn not to persist with the direct, long ball game, at which Heskey is England's best option (of those that are in SA).

Capello just said on ITV that he hasnt decided on Heskey or Defoe nor the goalkeeper. Barry will play.

Capello just said on ITV that he hasnt decided on Heskey or Defoe nor the goalkeeper. Barry will play.

I think they sent green to a psychologist, what bollo* just play the form keeper and stop fapping about

Frisbee wrote: »
    So good he's playing for two teams at the WC :D

Lol oops, I stole someones format and forgot to change the name :pac:

• Advertisement

I just dont know.

After that performance against the USA I am concerned for them to be honset.

USA were very underrated. England will bounce back. Just not enough bounce for Green hopefully...

why would one of the best left backs in the world suddenly move to the right?

I'm just putting left sided players on the left side of the page :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

If Capello hasnt decided on his goal-keeper yet I think there is a decent chance of Green being dropped with Capello having to decide between Hart and James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

A very poor England team to win 2-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I just dont know. After that performance against the USA I am concerned for them to be honset.

Don't be too concerned, sometimes teams take a while to warm up (or acclimatize) in the WC before
    they show their true colours. Oh, and by the way, England drew their opening match in 1966 :)

If Capello hasnt decided on his goal-keeper yet I think there is a decent chance of Green being dropped with Capello having to decide between Hart and James.

Apparantly he has still not decided on his goalkeeper which is making it more likely that Green will be dropped.

Sky Sports had some interesting stats that showed that it is actually crouch who has been the most "successfull" partner for Rooney.

I'm hoping neither Crouch nor Heskey start though and that Gerrard is played behind Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No chance he'll do it but.

Hart

Johnson Dawson Terry Cole

Lennon Milner Carrick J. Cole

Stevie G

God.

Rooney has no chance of getting in the team if people are referring to Heskey as God:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I heard its between Defoe and Heskey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Really they should just pre-award England their three nil win and save us the 90 minutes to do something useful with our lives..

• Advertisement

Im disappointed that Joe Cole will probably not get to play. I expect this to be Capello's team:
    Green
    Johnson---Carra--Terry---Cole
    Barry
    Lennon
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Heskey----Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I think they should ideally go with two holding players.

I'd play Carrick and Barry with Lampard in front of them. Then I'd have Rooney on the left and Gerrard on the right with Crouch up top. 2 holding players should sure up the midfield while Lampard is free to roam and feast on knock downs by Crouch.

Rooney has played on the left for United before and can cut inside to shoot with his right. Gerrard has also played on the right before and I think he could deliver better crosses than Lennon up to big Pete with support of Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think they should ideally go with two holding players.

I'd play Carrick and Barry with Lampard in front of them. Then I'd have Rooney on the left and Gerrard on the right with Crouch up top. 2 holding players should sure up the midfield while Lampard is free to roam and feast on knock downs by Crouch.

Rooney has played on the left for United before and can cut inside to shoot with his right. Gerrard has also played on the right before and I think he could deliver better crosses than Lennon up to big Pete with support of Glen Johnson.

After the season that Rooney has had up front you want to move him to the left? And, after the season Carrick has had at United you want to start him in this game. Not for me thanks!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    After the season that Rooney has had up front you want to move him to the left? And, after the season Carrick has had at United you want to start him in this game. Not for me thanks!

They had great success in the champion's league with Rooney largely playing on the left so Ronaldo could be accomodated. It's also a formation that is easily adjusted if you need to chase. Take off a holding player, put on a winger and shift Rooney up front. I think the two holding player is their best starting formation with the players they have.

As it is they are leaning too much on someone to have a great individual performance.

They had great success in the champion's league with Rooney largely playing on the left so Ronaldo could be accomodated. It's also a formation that is easily adjusted if you need to chase. Take off a holding player, put on a winger and shift Rooney up front. I think the two holding player is their best starting formation with the players they have.

As it is they are leaning too much on someone to have a great individual performance.

Ronaldo doesnt play for England so thats pretty irrelevant. Taking Rooney, our best striker, and moving him to the left to play Crouch up top and accommodate Carrick is nothing short of stupid imo. It makes much more sense to play Rooney up top on his own where he has had his best ever season playing in that role for his club.

It's to accomodate a team performance, not Carrick. He just gets in because he's the next best in the holding role after Barry. Carrick is not in there to change the game, he is just there to do a job of breaking up play with Barry, suring up the midfield and release the ball to attackers and to allow the likes of Lampard and the others in the front 4 to attack with more confidence.

With other formations, too much is pinned on Rooney being a superstar and like we saw in the USA game, it doesn't always happen. He'd still do a job on the left and be given license to get forward and shoot. Crouch goes up top because he'd link everything together and actually does have a good goal ratio for England, and Lampard would probably get a lot of joy out of him winning balls.

• Advertisement

It's to accomodate a team performance, not Carrick.

Im not sure theres much point in continuing this if you cant see that Rooney has to be played up front, whether alone or with a strike partner. 2 holding midfielders is something definitely possible but in that instance Rooney must play up front in that 4-5-1. It makes no sense at all to shunt him out wide.

You could play him up top with Cole on the left but I don't think it would be as effective. I think it is more important to England's chances to sure up that midfield than everything being adjusted around Rooney being the main man up top.

David James will definitely be starting

Heskey is not Ronaldo, so Rooney shouldn't have to move anywhere to accomodate anyone.

Rooney SHOULD be up front on his own with Gerrard behind. but he won't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    Heskey is not Ronaldo, so Rooney shouldn't have to move anywhere to accomodate anyone.

Rooney SHOULD be up front on his own with Gerrard behind. but he won't be.

yeah - if I was england manager, I would either go with that, or Rooney up top with Lampard off him and Gerrard in an advanced wide right role. Joe Cole then on the left side, with Barry and someone else in the central of midfield passing the ball forward.

• Advertisement

_Bella_ wrote: »
    David James will definitely be starting

The BBC seem to be reporting this alright, saying that Green made a number of fumbles in training sessions, highlighting to Capello that his confidence is gone.

Joe Hart will be hoping James drops one tonight so, he'll be in for game 3!

Only questions left to be answered so is where Gerrard will play.

The BBC seem to be reporting this alright, saying that Green made a number of fumbles in training sessions, highlighting to Capello that his confidence is gone.

Joe Hart will be hoping James drops one tonight so, he'll be in for game 3!

Only questions left to be answered so is where Gerrard will play.

Looks like Carra will play also.

Dropping Green is a massive mistake in my opinion.

His confidence will be destroyed - what if they need him later in the tournament ?

The thing is apart from the goal I thought he was fine.

The shot he knocked onto the post saved Englands bacon.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Algeria are too poor a side IMO to do anything here.

it was a pretty sh*te save to be fair.

that wasn't a strong hand at all, at his near post, and it should never have hit the post.

i agree that shattering his confidence is probably not the best idea in the world.

Looks like Carra will play also.

Dropping Green is a massive mistake in my opinion.

His confidence will be destroyed - what if they need him later in the tournament ?

The thing is apart from the goal I thought he was fine.

Oh yeah, i forgot King was crocked.

I'd agree with not dropping Green, in fairness i wouldn't have started him against USA, but as you say - if he doesn't start tonight, his confidence will be gone all together. England will have to hope they don't need him again.

Looks like another England keeper bites the dust anyways.

Great result for England just there.

They surely have to go for it now.

Team should be announced in the next half hour.

SSN: Sources say Heskey and James to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

heskey should not be there!! he is rubbish:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

LOL Calamity James to start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SSN: Sources say Heskey and James to start.

it will be the same side that did well in qualifying. Barry in CM, Gerrard LM, Heskey and Rooney upfront (Defoe maybe coming on as a sub). Only change imo is the CB situation with Rio out

• Advertisement
Advertisement