Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Algeria, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

titan18 wrote: »
    What would happen if England drew 2-2 and the USA drew 0-0.Both teams would have the exact same results.

Flip of a coin, AFAIK

titan18 wrote: »
    What would happen if England drew 2-2 and the USA drew 0-0.Both teams would have the exact same results.

They have to play paper-scissors-rock to see who gets through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

davyjose wrote: »
    If the US draw, and England draw 8-8 England will go through on goals scored.

True, but cant see it within the realms of being realistic.

Mushy wrote: »
    True, but cant see it within the realms of being realistic.

That's why I said "mathematically"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

UK, Canada and New Zealand. The only few countries that allow 10 year old boys play 11 a side football (Adult football). Small sided football (7 a side) ensures boys learn how to control, dribble and pass the ball as they touch it so many times in an environment with no pressure. The FA knows it, academies know it, everyone in football knows it.
    What do we do about? Nothing. What happens to 95% of boys when they reach ten in this country? Dads and coaches make them play adult football where they have very few touches of the ball but play to win. We have 11 year olds that win games up to the age of about 17. What happens then is that players with touch, skill and who are so comfortable with the ball take over at an age when winning is important. Until that changes, we are going to be taken over by the likes of South American teams and countries like the USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

M5 wrote: »
    They "draw lots"

Seems that's it.Would be pretty funny if England went out like that

UUntil that changes, we are going to be taken over by the likes of South American teams
    Welcome to the 1930's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Just seen and heard what Rooney said on national TV. Disgraceful thuggish behaviour of the lowest kind. Kids sitting there watching their supposed heros for feck sake. Hope Capello and the FA grows a pair and sends him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

"highlights" about to start on BBC HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Welcome to the 1930's!

poor wording on my part.

:D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Nick Collins on SSN is the WORST football reporter of all time. He talks crap every time he's on.

You're on Sky Sports shold be a good listen at 10:30 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Mister men wrote: »
    Just seen and heard what Rooney said on national TV. Disgraceful thuggish behaviour of the lowest kind. Kids sitting there watching their supposed heros for feck sake. Hope Capello and the FA grows a pair and sends him home.
    Stop talking rubbish.

He was 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Reminds me of Effenberg at USA 94, who DID get sent home by the German Football Association!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chong wrote: »
    Stop talking rubbish.

He was 100% right.

So you think that performance didn't warrant booing? Come on, he should be man enough to hold his hands up.

I wonder if many England players will retire internationally out of embarassment after this.

Nick Collins on SSN is the WORST football reporter of all time. He talks crap every time he's on.

He is also their Chief football reporter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

You're on Sky Sports shold be a good listen at 10:30 :)

He was on SSN earlier talking about englands third game putting them top. He mentioned for a brief second, towards the end, "lets not forget england still have to go out and win tonight"

Like the entire conversation was about England winning the group then a 10 second segment of we have to win tonight too, as if it was guarenteed.

I wonder if many England players will retire internationally out of embarassment after this.

Carragher?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    that's not what he said.

Dont just claim I'm wrong then, enlighten me to what he 'really said'!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Reminds me of Effenberg at USA 94, who DID get sent home by the German Football Association!

why did RTE apologise? he didn't swear on the clip they showed? Was it shown on ITV?

Lukker- wrote: »
    So you think that performance didn't warrant booing? Come on, he should be man enough to hold his hands up.
    The performance was awful no doubt , but there is so much of that down to Capello, the way they were setup was ridculous. Heskey is bloody awful, and to drop Green imo was disgraceful, should of stuck by him but no he crumbled under the weight of the media. The media and fans destroy this team, the pressure on this team is in sur mountable. Everyone english man expects the world cup to be won each time they play. Tomorrow Rooney like Beckham before will be villified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

Couldn't resist.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

why did RTE apologise? he didn't swear on the clip they showed? Was it shown on ITV?
    They showed it again and he did swear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    That was the most boring match of the 2nd round of games by a mile as well.

Match wasnt boring at all, just Englands multi million pound super stars were bloody awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »

Sorry too many pages to be reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The performance was awful no doubt , but there is so much of that down to Capello, the way they were setup was ridculous. Heskey is bloody awful, and to drop Green imo was disgraceful, should of stuck by him but no he crumbled under the weight of the media. The media and fans destroy this team, the pressure on this team is in sur mountable. Everyone english man expects the world cup to be won each time they play. Tomorrow Rooney like Beckham before will be villified.

And the players destroy the team also.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sorry too many pages to be reading.

No harm in seeing it again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

France president Nicolas Sarkozy and British prime minister David Cameron took time out from discussing the war in Afghanistan and the upcoming G20 summit to talk about their respective football teams at the World Cup at a Number 10 lunch on Friday.
    "The prime minister and the president had an opportunity to swap notes on the progress of their respective teams in the World Cup," said a Downing Street spokesman.

Rooney: "I knew I should have declared for Ireland."

• Advertisement

And yet you claim I was wrong :rolleyes:

Ush1 wrote: »
    And the players destroy the team also.
    Yes they do but there are so many elements that have contributed to this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

curry-muff wrote: »
    Dont just claim I'm wrong then, enlighten me to what he 'really said'!!!

'Nice to see yoor own fans boo ya, they're real supporters'

Stop talking rubbish.

He was 100% right.
    No he was wrong. If you believe using that type of language on TV is acceptable then so be it. Disgusting.

It's BS to blame the media. Pressure like that shouldn't follow them onto the pitch. You think Argentina, or Holland, or Brazil or Italy don't get pressure to win? Those guys at least remember how to play the game to a basic level, but usually win it, or get knocked out in the semi's by another great team, etc.

That display tonight was fundamentally, in every way, inept.

No he was wrong. If you believe using that type of language on TV is acceptable then so be it. Disgusting.
    What language? My feed is on Dutch Tv, was there swearing if so excuse my post , but did he swear? Genuinely all I heard was it was a " nice to see your fans booing your own team etc"

After he had his litle rant, he said "f*cks sake" as he walked away. No big deal tbh.

'Nice to see yoor own fans boo ya, they're real supporters'

Guessing you didnt see the RTE version then, I might have missed the they're real supporters line but Im almost certain about the other lines I posted that followed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

It's BS to blame the media. Pressure like that shouldn't follow them onto the pitch. You think Argentina, or Holland, or Brazil or Italy don't get pressure to win? Those guys at least remember how to play the game to a basic level, but usually win it, or get knocked out in the semi's by another great team, etc.

That display tonight was fundamentally, in every way, inept.
    Playing Heskey is the height of ineptitude, continually playing 4-4-2 is inept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

After he had his litle rant, he said "f*cks sake" as he walked away. No big deal tbh.

Sure it's poor old lionheart Wayne Rooney, he can say what he likes.

I just think it's embarrassing he felt the need to comment. Can't imagine Messi or Cristiano feeling the need to defend, or deflect from, such a dire performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What he said was:
    (To camera)

"Nice to see your home fans boo ya. That's what loyal support is."

(As he walks away)

"F*ck's sake."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did RTE cut the sweary stuff off? I didn't see it as it went out.

eh edit, they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shearer and Dixon being brutally honest to be fair to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm no fan of Shearer as a pundit but fair play to him he 'aint holding back on BBC. The emotion is high now with elimination a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

When it is Wayne Rooney speaking, I think we should already know the gist of what he said! :D

How is it no big deal. Horrible to hear that from a role model for kids worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

mike65 wrote: »
    Did RTE cut the sweary stuff off? I didn't see it as it went out.

eh edit, they did.

Didn't Gibbo make a comment afterwards apologising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How is it no big deal. Horrible to hear that from a role model for kids worldwide.

It's legal so it's fine.

Advertisement