Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Algeria, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus let's not have the little circus at the end with Rooney hijack the thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    Did RTE cut the sweary stuff off? I didn't see it as it went out.

eh edit, they did.

They didn't, he looked away from camera/mic so it is just much lower volume and doesn't show up on the youtube above. Bill apologised for airing the swearing afterward..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

It'll be interesting to see if Rooney will regret saying it, if it's no big deal, and he was "right" to say it ... his most notable contributions to the last 2 world cups have been a Red Card and a nasty attack against his fans.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's legal so it's fine.

lol, ah right.

Is giving the finger to the camera legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mister men wrote: »
    How is it no big deal. Horrible to hear that from a role model for kids worldwide.

LOL this chap really wants to make a name for himself in the absence of CHD and Boggles.

Give it a rest son.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL this chap really wants to make a name for himself in the absence of CHD and Boggles.

Give it a rest son.
    What's your problem, he called you out on something, so you deride him? Cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ush1 wrote: »
    lol, ah right.

Is giving the finger to the camera legal?

I'd say it is so thats fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

things need to change big time for england, they either need to change formation and play rooney up front by himself with gerard havin a free role just behind him. Or what i think would be better: heskey has to go. i think they should keep the same formation, start defoe and crouch up front for a change, keep barry, drop lampard, bring in joe cole on the left wing, he'll add that extra bit of creativity and flair thats lacking. with carragher getting the yellow, dawson should move in at CB, which i think will be better for the team as a whole. from what i've seen the players are lacking motivation.

i know you might be thinking why on earth would you leave out rooney, but things just aren't going for him in this world cup, he's nowhere near the player that we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

How is it no big deal. Horrible to hear that from a role model for kids worldwide.

He's a footballer, not the fecking Pope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

What did Shearer and Dixon say?

Rooney should be the last person complaining about the fans he was utter muck out there and didnt even look bothered. Didnt chase the ball, his touch was horrible, passing wasnt great. Im not saying he was the only one (Heskey played worse, Johnson wasnt great either) but theyre not blaming fans for booing them.

Think what Liam Brady was saying could be true, pressures got to him and he cant take it when England and himself are playing that bad

• Advertisement

I'd say it is so thats fine too.

Rooney should have gave the finger so. Just to really get the message over.

Actually suprising more players don't give the finger to the camera when they don't play well.

davyjose wrote: »
    What's your problem, he called you out on something, so you deride him? Cop on.

HE CALLED ME OUT.

Jesus get the boxing gloves.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    He's a footballer, not the fecking Pope.

Good point this. I think the Pope has had sex with more grannies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Give it a rest son.
    What are you talking about. Fair play for getting yourself put on my ignore list.

Anyway's back to the game. England players have no guile. No nous at all. Gerrard and Lampard are finishers not playmakers and Barry needs to be suppling ball from the left in order to assist. Carrick is not great but can create from midfield.
    Main problem England have though is a complete lack of movement off the ball. Cronicly bad.

Just seen and heard what Rooney said on national TV. Disgraceful thuggish behaviour of the lowest kind. Kids sitting there watching their supposed heros for feck sake. Hope Capello and the FA grows a pair and sends him home.

Oh cop on, won't someone think of the children? ffs.
    He played ****e, they drew with Algeria and he's getting booed off the pitch. Then someone shoves a camera in his face and he mildly curses. Most people would have said a lot worse...

Rooney should have gave the finger so. Just to really get the message over.

Actually suprising more players don't give the finger to the camera when they don't play well.

Me too, it would have been funny to see 10 england players giving the finger to the camera after tonights game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think capello is too afraid to drop rooney. Simiar to say benitez and gerrard at liverpool.

people can go on about that "oh managers are supposed to have balls and not care about the media and make decisions blah blah" but with that much pressure, you dont want to pile anymore on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Good point this. I think the Pope has had sex with more grannies anyway.

Think the Pope would have been better tonight to be honest.

The clergy tend to have a good touch around the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It occurs to me that Maradona will be loving this turn of events. He was derided by the English media going into this tournament, yet they are struggling and Argentina are cruising. France are also in deep trouble and Platini was another who had been getting on Diego's nerves.

copacetic wrote: »
    Oh cop on, won't someone think of the children? ffs.
    He played ****e, they drew with Algeria and he's getting booed off the pitch. Then someone shoves a camera in his face and he mildly curses. Most people would have said a lot worse...

That would be "The Camera-man", you know the way the World Cup does be on telly and all that.

Look, defend the guy all you like, but how can a guy with aspirations to win the World Cup be more pre-occupied with the fans booing, than the result? I can't get my head around it.

• Advertisement

It occurs to me that Maradona will be loving this turn of events. He was derided by the English media going into this tournament, yet they are struggling and Argentina are cruising. France are also in deep trouble and Platini was another who had been getting on Diego's nerves.

He forgives Platini BUT NOT PELE.

I love Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I think capello is too afraid to drop rooney. Simiar to say benitez and gerrard at liverpool.

And people can go on about that "oh they are supposed to have balls and not care about the media and make decisions blah blah" but when that much pressure, you dont want to pile anymore on.

Start Crouch and Defoe for the Slovenia match! Bet cautious Fabio won't do it though.

Me too, it would have been funny to see 10 england players giving the finger to the camera after tonights game.

Unfortunately, the other 9 were probably more upset about their performance, than the fans.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Think the Pope would have been better tonight to be honest.

The clergy tend to have a good touch around the box.

They prefer playing without grass on the pitch though.

And people can go on about that "oh they are supposed to have balls and not care about the media and make decisions blah blah" but when that much pressure, you dont want to pile anymore on.

Should he drop Gerrard Johnson Lampard and the others that were just as ****e as Rooney tonight?

That would be "The Camera-man", you know the way the World Cup does be on telly and all that.

Look, defend the guy all you like, but how can a guy with aspirations to win the World Cup be more pre-occupied with the fans booing, than the result? I can't get my head around it.

He isn't. Lets be honest, it's a weak attempt to deflect the fact he was absolute ****e.

What are you talking about. Fair play for getting yourself put on my ignore list.

Anyway's back to the game. England players have no guile. No nous at all. Gerrard and Lampard are finishers not playmakers and Barry needs to be suppling ball from the left in order to assist. Carrick is not great but can create from midfield.
    Main problem England have though is a complete lack of movement off the ball. Cronicly bad.

Fark off bayview.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

lol at England imploding again.

I would love to see them winning it, but to be honest, it ain't half as much fun as watching them losing it..!!!

He isn't. Lets be honest, it's a weak attempt to deflect the fact he was absolute ****e.

I don't think poor Wayne has the brains for such a clever ploy tbh.:pac:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't blame Rooney tbh.

It at least he shows he gives a fcuk although he was poor tonight.

The buck stops with the manager though. England have a lot of really ordinary players when you go through the team and the few world class ones they have are playing poorly.

England are 2/1 NOT to qualify btw folks on betfair.

Great bloody bet

Why play Heskey? I can't understand it.
    Surely Crouch is a better option or Crouch up top with Rooney behind?
    I dunno.
    On paper they should be great but every time they feck it up one way or another.

I'm not defending him (although I can see how it might seem like that). It was a stupid thing to do. Just not the 'thuggery' that the poster was saying it was. i.e Send him home, won't someone think of the kids etc

I'm sure he wasn't more pre-occupied with the booing than the losing, but it was happening as the camera came rushing up looking for the 'shake of the head and look upset' moment, which he provided with bells on!

I don't think poor Wayne has the brains for such a clever ploy tbh.:pac:

Doesn't take brains to just go, " Oooo, it was those fellas booing me!".

Should have just hung his head like the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Should he drop Gerrard Johnson Lampard and the others that were just as ****e as Rooney tonight?

It wasnt a dig at a utd player, i personally think Gerrard looked lost tonight, johnson was poor and lampard was like a deer in headlights. i made the point because someone mentioned starting with defoe and crouch

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame Rooney tbh.

It at least he shows he gives a fcuk although he was poor tonight.

The buck stops with the manager though. England have a lot of really ordinary players when you go through the team and the few world class ones they have are playing poorly.

England are 2/1 NOT to qualify btw folks on betfair.

Great bloody bet

True, because imo there is more than a fifty fifty chance that they will be back in Heathrow next week.

Might flutter.

• Advertisement

He forgives Platini BUT NOT PELE.

I love Diego.

He said that Pele should go back to a museum. Lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Why hasn't JoE Cole come on?

Unfortunately, the other 9 were probably more upset about their performance, than the fans.

You must have a direct line ot them , do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It took a matter of 3 seconds to look at the camera and say what he did so you can't say that was his only worry. The statement came out as a consequence of his performance AND the result.

Hate to see "fans" boo. ****ing pisses me off no end no matter how much they paid to go see it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Can't really blame the fans for booing after that. They've spent a lot of money getting there and mightn't get through the handiest group they'll ever have.

Rooney is immature, he shows that in his attitude all the time, this kind of thing doesn't surprise me coming from him.

• Advertisement

Kent Brockman "Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"

Professor "Yes I would, Kent."

yesidokent.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fans who boo are idiots imo, except in exceptional circumstances.

Doesn't take brains to just go, " Oooo, it was those fellas booing me!".

Exactly it was spur of the moment outburst from a young fella not known for his brains or articulance. Not a premeditated statement to cover for his sh*t peformance like you were previously quite laughably implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It took a matter of 3 seconds to look at the camera and say what he did so you can't say that was his only worry. The statement came out as a consequence of his performance AND the result.

Hate to see "fans" boo. ****ing pisses me off no end no matter how much they paid to go see it all

Those fans don't go back to their blonde tarts in their gated houses though! You have to understand that aspect. :)

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Can't really blame the fans for booing after that. They've spent a lot of money getting there and mightn't get through the handiest group they'll ever have.

Rooney is immature, he shows that in his attitude all the time, this kind of thing doesn't surprise me coming from him.

Bout time he was pulled up on acting the **** too.
    Rob Green gets chastised for a mistake, yet Rooney gets off scott free for 0% effort.

I wonder what are the odds of him getting sent off against the Slovens.

Exactly it was spur of the moment outburst from a young fella not known for his brains or articulance. Not a premeditated statement to cover for his sh*t peformance like you were previously quite laughably implying.

Sorry no you're wrong, I never implied it was premeditated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Mr Alan wrote: »
    fans who boo are idiots imo, except in exceptional circumstances.

Im with you on that but if i were English i would consider tonight exceptional TBH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If ye don't want to hear your fans booing ye

DON'T ever play at the Bernabeu. If the score is 0-0 at half time, literally, they boo you. In Madrid they go to the game to be entertained, like the latest hollywood blockbuster or a shakespearean play.

Beckham was at Madrid for 4-5 years, he knows this well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think Jamie Carragher was probably the only player who had what you might call a decent performance. Terry, Cole, ok-ish. Everyone else was woeful however. Obviously James didnt have much to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The FA have come out with a statement saying that the English World Cup campaign can be salvaged. They have managed to get a refund on the hotel they were planning on staying in for the World Cup final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement