Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Algeria, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I thought Capello was a top class managers till the build up for this WC.

Thought ? No need to quote the rest of your post if the build up to the WC has swayed you.He is without doubt one of the finest managers on the planet at this moment.What did you expect from him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

flahavaj wrote: »
    It was an outburst from a pretty stupid individual who wears his heart on his sleeve. Its not as if he was answering a question or being interviewed, he just shouted at a nearby camera in a fit of pique.

You're taking a massive leap by suggestig anything other than that was on his mind tbh.

No, I'm sure it may have been on his mind but you're constantly making the error in assuming deflection requires premeditation or even thought at all. I'm not making any massive leap, in fact, it's fairly obvious. As I explained, 4 year olds can deflect without thinking, just as Rooney was.

If he was really stating what was on his mind it would have been, "God I was awful tonight".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Looks like a fan made his/her way into the England dressing room after the game......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8749232.stm

Apparantly he confronted Beckham, :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Muppet wrote: »
    Apparantly he confronted Beckham, :confused:

Sure that makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

AaP7O.jpg

hmmm, wonder if he switched nets at half timemeh.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/news/7830807/England-0-Algeria-0-match-report.html
    Such was the lack of English threat on Algeria’s goal that a bird settled on the stanchion, admiring the view, even changing ends at the interval, hardly the greatest endorsements of England’s attack.
    ...cannot be serious.
    ok.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Ush1 wrote: »
    No, I'm sure it may have been on his mind but you're constantly making the error in assuming deflection requires premeditation or even thought at all. I'm not making any massive leap, in fact, it's fairly obvious. As I explained, 4 year olds can deflect without thinking, just as Rooney was.

If he was really stating what was on his mind it would have been, "God I was awful tonight".
    Regardless of whether it was premeditated or not, I don't think he said what he said to "deflect from his performance."

Is it that outlandish a prospect that he was just frustrated and took it out on the fans in a childish hissy fit?

I think you're mistaking him being annoyed at his and his team's sh*t performance with his lashing out being some attempt to deflect from his sh*ttiness.

One does not necesarily go hand in hand with the other.

But we're going in circles now.

Its highly doubtful that the average English lager lout who thinks breaking into a World Cup dressing room is a good idea has an ounce of sense in the first place.

Regardless of whether it was premeditated or not, I don't think he said what he said to "deflect from his performance."

Is it that outlandish a prospect that he was just frustrated and took it out on the fans in a childish hissy fit?

I think you're mistaking him being annoyed at his and his team's sh*t performance with his lashing out being some attempt to deflect from his sh*ttiness.

One does not necesarily go hand in hand with the other.

But we're going in circles now.

No it isn't, but yeah, you clearly don't seem to understand the term deflection.

No it isn't, but yeah, you clearly don't seem to understand the term deflection.

Lets hear it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bill O'Herlihy made the comment that the safest place around for the bird at the time was on the back of the Algeria net, I loled

• Advertisement

Lets hear it then?

Do I have to show every Manchester United fan dictionary.com? Or even just common parlance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

d22ontour wrote: »
    Thought ? No need to quote the rest of your post if the build up to the WC has swayed you.He is without doubt one of the finest managers on the planet at this moment.What did you expect from him ?
    I am pointing out the mistakes he has made in the build up to the tournament which have been a few. With the players at his disposable and the knowledge he has of the game England should be serious contenders but they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Do I have to show every Manchester United fan dictionary.com? Or even just common parlance.

Could you look up the word 'exaggerate' while you're there? ;)

No but if you're going to make sly little snide comments you could back them up. And look up pedant while you're at it.;)

What has sense got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

davyjose wrote: »

You'll get your turn!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

davyjose wrote: »

Also, Ush1 ya should look up the word 'troll' on www.urbandictionary.com

RichTea wrote: »

The Irish tabloids were equally embarassing this morning tbh.

• Advertisement

So Gerrard, whats happened since last Saturday that led to such a poor performance tonight?

No but if you're going to make sly little snide comments you could back them up. And look up pedant while you're at it.;)

Snide little comments. Nothing snide about mine, although you were the first to mention laughable comments, so also look up hypocrasy.

What haven't I backed up and [EMAIL="lmao@pedantic"]lmao@pedantic[/EMAIL]! You're the one saying Rooney was having a "hissy fit", not deflecting from his performance.

Are you seriously that laughably naive that you think the main thing on Rooneys mind was the fans booing and not on how terrible he was??

baz2009 wrote: »
    Also, Ush1 ya should look up the word 'troll' on www.urbandictionary.com

No I read the adults dictionary to be honest.

Snide little comments. Nothing snide about mine, although you were the first to mention laughable comments, so also look up hypocrasy.

What haven't I backed up and [EMAIL="lmao@pedantic"]lmao@pedantic[/EMAIL]! You're the one saying Rooney was having a "hissy fit", not deflecting from his performance.

Are you seriously that laughably naive that you think the main thing on Rooneys mind was the fans booing and not on how terrible he was??

Dictionaries are also pretty good if you're not very good at spelling, or so I'm told.;)

When did I say his poor performance wasn't on his mind anyway?

Dictionaries are also pretty good if you're not very good at spelling, or so I'm told.;)

When did I say his poor performance wasn't on his mind anyway?

Well it's okay to misspell a word the odd time, the main thing is you understand it though. *WINK* *WINK* LOZ!111

So we agree then, the MAIN thing on his mind was how bad he played? At least it certainly should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The more I watch this world cup, the more gutted I am Ireland didn't make it. Ireland would beat England on this performance.

We would beat them at their best

• Advertisement

Well it's okay to misspell a word the odd time, the main thing is you understand it though. *WINK* *WINK* LOZ!111

So we agree then, the MAIN thing on his mind was how bad he played? At least it certainly should be.

I would hope so.

Which leaves you with the unfortunate task of explaining this "deflection" boll*x you were spouting earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We would beat them at their best
    Joke i presume?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I can see Rooney's comments imitating Ferguson's typical Germans comment after another poor performance...

So much focus on that than looking at the rubbish performance

I would hope so.

Which leaves you with the unfortunate task of explaining this "deflection" boll*x you were spouting earlier.

Hahaha, how would it?

If that's what's on his mind then that's what he should say. You're going on like he's this big cuddly "heart on the sleeve" type who's got no brain to mouth filter so why wouldn't he spout out he was ****e, not some nonsense about fans booing?

Hahaha, how would it?

If that's what's on his mind then that's what he should say. You're going on like he's this big cuddly "heart on the sleeve" type who's got no brain to mouth filter so why wouldn't he spout out he was ****e, not some nonsense about fans booing?

I wouldn't like to cuddle Wayne Rooney. Beard rash.:eek:

Why in the name of God would he run to the camera and say "I was sh*te."

Again I must ask you to explain your spurious "deflection" point.

Indeed you are now yourself "deflecting."

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to cuddle Wayne Rooney. Beard rash.:eek:

Why in the name of God would he run to the camera and say "I was sh*te."

Again I must ask you to explain your spurious "deflection" point.

Indeed you are now yourself "deflecting."

Yeah, you defo just don't understand the term.

Dunno how much more time I can waste here. So he wasn't being honest by saying the main thing on his mind and accepting responsibility, he'd rather moan about fans? There is no leap here. It's clear as day. I can't make it any simpler for you.

Yeah, you defo just don't understand the term.

Dunno how much more time I can waste here. So he wasn't being honest by saying the main thing on his mind and accepting responsibility, he'd rather moan about fans? There is no leap here. It's clear as day. I can't make it any simpler for you.

How does it taste Ush1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ush1 in a pedantic dictionary bollix argument again. Such thread-fùck when Ush gets going :(

How does it taste Ush1?

Still having trouble with the English language I see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Muppet wrote: »
    What has sense got to do with it?

Why attack beckham when he wasnt on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Guaranteed headlines in one the papers tomorrow:

"Boo-ney"

Pro. F wrote: »
    Ush1 in a pedantic dictionary bollix argument again. Such thread-fùck when Ush gets going :(

Constructive post. Report me so.

Still having trouble with the English language I see?

medicine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Fans who boo the team are not fans. Rooney was perfectly right to say what he said. Its a bloody disgrace, booing your team at a world cup, what the hell is that going to achieve? Ill always remember Istanbul 2005 when a crap load of Pool fans walked out at half time. they ended up missing one of the greatest nights in their clubs history, all because they forgot what it is to be a supporter. I used to think the Irish fans were the best in the world, that was until we booed Stan off during that faithful era. anyway fair balls to Wayne and who cares if he cursed? God all mighty get over yourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sangre wrote: »
    Guaranteed headlines in one the papers tomorrow:

"Boo-ney"

Al-jeer-ia

Those Sun headline writers are nothing if they're not predictable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fans who boo the team are not fans. Rooney was perfectly right to say what he said. Its a bloody disgrace, booing your team at a world cup, what the hell is that going to achieve? Ill always remember Istanbul 2005 when a crap load of Pool fans walked out at half time. they ended up missing one of the greatest nights in their clubs history, all because they forgot what it is to be a supporter. I used to think the Irish fans were the best in the world, that was until we booed Stan off during that faithful era. anyway fair balls to Wayne and who cares if he cursed? God all mighty get over yourselves!
    I would never boo my own team.

That said, to suggest anyone going to the lenghts those fans have to support their country is not a fan seems a bit strange. They're pissed off. Rightly so, that performance was a disgrace from a supposed favourite for the tournament. Think its Mister Rooney who needs to get over himself.

Irish fans are damn near the best in the world, the Dutch are hard beat to that one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

I agree ... who goes all the way to south africa only to boo their own team. At least its in their own hands

BOERING

BOERING

ENGLAND

Quite good actually.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

No I read the adults dictionary to be honest.
    At the risk of getting involved in this little argument:

You read the dictionary??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Think its Mister Rooney who needs to get over himself.

Irish fans are damn near the best in the world, the Dutch are hard beat to that one though.

Rooneys a notorious hot head. The frustration, anger and disappointment alone would have had him raging but when ya add a booing crowd of your own fans to it then there was every chance he might lash out in some way. Just look at what he says to refs when he gets annoyed with them. :D

Also your spot on about the Dutch fans, pretty damn amazing.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    At the risk of getting involved in this little argument:

You read the dictionary??:D
    What else would you do with one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I reckon that Capello could have done a lot more to change things. SWP for Lennon was a nothing sub, Joe Cole should have definitely come on.. he is the closest thing England have to a playmaker.

By starting with 2 up front, Capello is backing himself into a corner as regards a Plan B. With Rooney starting up top on his own you can always throw on Crouch to change things up if Plan A is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Sun sets its sights on the Manager with 'Cap-HELL-O'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Tonight's result for England was shocking and a disgrace! As bad and all as they are and with all the negative headlines their going to get in tomorrow's papers in England i still think their going to qualify!

Their playing Slovenia in their last game and surely after tonight's brutal display and the fans booing they'll go out with all guns blazing and beat the Slovenians. Carragher been banned for that game is an advantadge for them and they should throw Crouch on from the start and forget about Heskey,that's the way for them to go now. The reality is that England are very lucky their in such a poor group,they still have a good chance of qualifying for the knockout stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Gerrard Barry Lampard Winger

That type of midfield is the root of all England's problems. Amazing lack of central midfielders with the necessary quality of close control in that country. Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Carrick, Hargreaves etc., all struggle when called upon to hold onto possession in central midfield. Compare them to Xavi, Alonso, Cesc, Sweinstiger, Pirlo or even the more combative types like Essien, Y Toure, Cambiasso. Compared to those types of players England always struggle to make a team that can keep enough possession.

They've brought the problem on themselves with their youth development, favouring the stronger more courageous CMs over the skillful ones. Although they've been doing work to change that recently.

If I was in Capello's position I would have been desperately looking to get a Scholes, Joe Cole or even Rodwell into the centre. Somebody who's actually comfortable on the ball. Then drop one of Gerrard or Lampard and ensure you've always got two pacey wingers.

I thought maybe Capello had found some sort of solution based on how well they did in qualifying but since I saw them in the mexico friendly and the two wc games it's clear that they're back to the same basic problem - not enough skill in the midfield.

The added nightmare bonus for them tonight was Rooney having a shocker as well.

The pressure, Rooney being off form and the inherent flaws in the midfield AND the patched up defence and dodgey keeper - it's very hard to see them staying in SA for very much longer. They might be able to get out of the group by sheer force of will. The game against Slovenia is going to be great entertainment :D

Ps. On Heskey. I think he is Capello's master plan for getting the best out of Rooney. It hasn't worked so he should try something different now.

Pps. It was amazing to see Capello all ruffled and put on the spot by the itv interview. The crazy English media frenzy is scary even for him.

Edit to add:
    oh I forgot. Giles was lashing into them for not closing down well enough. This was plainly true and is a bit hard to explain since non of them lack fitness or desire. My theory is that when they can NEVER keep hold of the ball for very long, when they can only ever do well in fits and starts playing in that hundred mile an hour style of quick attacks that they sometimes manage - when this has been the way of it in all their recent games and they are now having the same problem again against a weak team that they expect to beat, this starts to effect them mentally. On a night when they were expecting to be most concerned about scoring goals, the frustration and confusion at their possession problems distracts and disheartens them from carrying on with the drudgery of defensive work. Just my theory.

Advertisement