Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- Algeria, Fri 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

According to SSN: James, Johnson, Terry, Carra, Cole, Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Milner not starting:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

redout wrote: »
    According to SSN: James, Johnson, Terry, Carra, Cole, Lennon, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Heskey

Who's gonna go on the left then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Who's gonna go on the left then?

Gerrard seemingly is what they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Terry and Carragher could get destroyed for pace, although whether they'll be punished for it will be another case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

How the eff can England expect to win a world cup with Emile Heskey in the starting 11?

Spain: Villa, Torres
    Argentina: Messi, Tevez, Higuain, etc

I could name other nations in this WC whos strikers have more than 5 goals in 42 games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Better hope James doesn't screw up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Ugh I wish Joe Cole was playing he has the creativity England are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

As they highlighted on RTE, he goes with Heskey because he doesn't trust his midfield and wants the route one option. Personally I'd go with Crouch for that. As they also highlighted though, while he wins the odd ball, he'll also gift 4 out of 5 back to the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hope they get beaten now. Ridiculous decision to drop Green. Basically it means if a keeper makes a mistake, thats his World Cup pretty much over. Why is it not the same for the rest of the team? Heskeys miss was just as big a mistake as Greens as well as Carragher's comical defending which needed Green to bail him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Hope they get beaten now. Ridiculous decision to drop Green. Basically it means if a keeper makes a mistake, thats his World Cup pretty much over. Why is it not the same for the rest of the team? Heskeys miss was just as big a mistake as Greens as well as Carragher's comical defending which needed Green to bail him out.

James was given the #1 jersey for a reason imo.

And Green hasnt been able to deal with the ball in training.

Heskey was englands best player for most of the match.

Carragher is a worry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

CorkMan wrote: »
    How the eff can England expect to win a world cup with Emile Heskey in the starting 11?

Spain: Villa, Torres
    Argentina: Messi, Tevez, Higuain, etc

I could name other nations in this WC whos strikers have more than 5 goals in 42 games.

did you watch england in any of their qualification matches?

they were the top scorers in european qualifying with heskey in the team, outscoring the mighty spain.
    people keep asking so it should be spelled out perhaps

HESKEY IS NOT IN THE TEAM TO SCORE GOALS.
    QUIT MENTIONING HIS GOALSCORING RECORD.

i know he is a striker, but dont give the usual idiots answer of "a strikers job is to score goals"

his job is whatever capello tells him.

in england case its to act as a focal point up front, with rooney, lennon and gerrard playing off him.

rooney scored 9 goals under this system in qualifying, he isnt going to change it now.

if people cannot understand this they do not understand international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Can James channel Goicochea from Italia 90, or i'm being ridiculously optimistic on this?

Is it wrong I want Algeria to win after reading what Rooney said about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

redout wrote: »
    Great result for England just there.

I think it was a bad result actually. If Slovenia had held on to 2-0 they would have effectively knocked the States out. An England win tonight would have put them on 4 points with only a draw against Slovenia (who would have qualified anyways) needed to get through.

As it stands England need to win by 2 goals tonight to only need a draw against Slovenia to qualify.

I don't fancy England having to go into the last game needing a win. Slovenia are well capable of defending against them for 90mins and getting a 0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Is it wrong I want Algeria to win after reading what Rooney said about them?
    Well what did he say?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

dropping green i'm not surprised with, i was even more surprised last saturday to see him picked in the first place. I thought he was at fault for a few goals towards the end of last season.

Naturally enough i'd like to see england lose but if they're to win i hope its 5 nil, 4-1 or 3-2. Got me 9/2 for england win with 5 match goals

i dont get this heskey bashing. Vast majority of players who have ever played with him say he's great to play with. Defenders have to pay attention to him cos he's so big and he's not very slow either hence he ensures a 1 on 1 with a center back that someone like Wayne Rooney can exploit.

Well what did he say?!

Cant find full exact quote but basically he said he had never heard of any of their players and that they wouldn't even have to try and they would win.

He said :can not be at our best and win the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Oh dear, Heskey starting yet again for England. It will be another 90 minute's of Terry and Carragher lumping the ball up to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just had a quick look at ITV there. Thought it was 1974. What is Keegan doing with his medallion man look!

Cant find full exact quote but basically he said he had never heard of any of their players and that they wouldn't even have to try and they would win.

and he be right, this game imo is the same as united playing plymouth.

I just feel the class differnece is that great no disrespect to plymouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No Dunphy on an England match?

RTE Fail.

I'll believe that when you provide direct quotes.

But that's true....?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yep - like all England managers they turn into media men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

As they highlighted on RTE, he goes with Heskey because he doesn't trust his midfield and wants the route one option. Personally I'd go with Crouch for that. As they also highlighted though, while he wins the odd ball, he'll also gift 4 out of 5 back to the opposition.
    So true. The English pundits thinks he wins 90% or more of all those long balls but that just isn't true. He's wins one in three at best (meaning he holds onto the ball afetr he wins it.)

He gives possession abck to the opposition most of the time and while England may not be punished for that in the group stages, once they meet a team of quality who can pass the ball around the back and midfield comfortably, they're f**ked.

Joe Cole in and Heskey sent home please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Stevens and Hamilton look like they were out and the beer last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

England will hammer them, dont think this will be a contest.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    England will hammer them, dont think this will be a contest.

I do hope Algeria at least score first though just so we can get that Beckham reaction topped. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Archimedes wrote: »
    No Dunphy on an England match?

RTE Fail.

big time. Hamman is hard to listen to.

Eamo, Giles and Souness should be the line up

• Advertisement

Brady is a bit annoying since coming back. Everything starts off with "Well, with my experience with Ireland..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Carragher starting is a joke, they will get away with it tonight, but he will be a disaster for them in the later stages of the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

What are the odds on a James mistike tonight

I still don't get why Joe Hart is #3. He is the in form keeper of the bunch and had a great season.

England must have the highest numbers of supporters that have travelled for the world cup! Incredible support tbf!

England must have the highest numbers of supporters that have travelled for the world cup! Incredible support tbf!

I think they said USA were actually first and Australia second. In the USA Vs England game there were 8000 from the US and only 6000 from England.

we would have at least 20,000!

I think they said USA were actually first and Australia second. In the USA Vs England game there were 8000 from the US and only 6000 from England.
    I find that hard to believe tbh. They may be the official figures, but that's certainly not how it seemed at the game itself.

I'll believe that when you provide direct quotes.

But that's true....?:confused:

Maybe it is I just feel in football you should show respect for the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

ragg wrote: »
    Carragher starting is a joke, they will get away with it tonight, but he will be a disaster for them in the later stages of the competition

Agreed. Won't matter tonight though, as you say. England would have to do something spectacular to not win comfortably here.

I can hear the crowd over the vuvezelas :D

Surely one of these sides should be wearing their away strip?

Help out the colour blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Algeria bottled it there...
    However they exposed the lack of pace in the england defence

The Algerian team definitely have the pace to trouble Englands centre backs.

Good to see Ashley Cole moving up the field in this match

the comedy begins lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

what was james doing, ffs

Birds aren't scared by vuvuzelas

The goalkeepers in this match are awful! Hopefully will provide for some comedic moments

What kind of mutant fúcking bird is that!!

Birds have a precognitive sense. That bird knows that England aren't going to score. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement