Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended wireless access.

• 16-06-2010 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys need to extend wireless access in the house. Have an Eircom Netopia router with wireless router, but the wireless is blocked by the intervening walls. The landlord wont let me run wires to move the wireless router so I have to leave it where it is. Is there any router that sends a more powerful signal that would get through two walls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Hi guys need to extend wireless access in the house. Have an Eircom Netopia router with wireless router, but the wireless is blocked by the intervening walls. The landlord wont let me run wires to move the wireless router so I have to leave it where it is. Is there any router that sends a more powerful signal that would get through two walls?

what kind of house-detached/terraced?

what are the walls made of-brick/concrete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No.

Also the distance is limited by the weaker of the two ends, i.e. if there was a more powerful wifi, you would need a similar more powerful card/dongle in the laptop.

2.4GHz WiFi doesn't really go through solid walls, only plasterboard "stud" walls and only if foil lined board intended for exterior walls has not be used.

Why not use an extension cable cable for router, it can be wound up any time. You could also try "Home Plug" networking over mains, but it is only legal via a regulatory loop hole as it's a pair of wideband transmitters and creates a lot of interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

hello932 wrote: »
    what kind of house-detached/terraced?
    what are the walls made of-brick/concrete?
    Solid concrete. Old style detached house, so fairly thick walls as well.
    Why not use an extension cable cable for router, it can be wound up any time. You could also try "Home Plug" networking over mains, but it is only legal via a regulatory loop hole as it's a pair of wideband transmitters and creates a lot of interference.
    hmm, I've used these before. I have had a bit of trouble with reliability with them, had to bring them back before. But it's certainly a viable option.. I'll see if I can find a discrete double power outlet.

Advertisement