Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retrieving Data From Laptop HDD

• 16-06-2010 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am going to re-install Xp on a laptop with viruses.

So i removed the hard drive and connected it to another in order to copy the important files i need.

However one of the user profiles is not showing up in the Docs and Settings folder and this profile is the one i really need to access.

Any idea how to get access. It is not hidden and is not password protected either.

I have also took full ownership of the docs and settings folder but still it is not showing up.

It does show another profile just to point out.

Everything but the one i need to access.

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Just another note on this there is a profile called user which i think has the files i need.

But the profile name is John

Could it be possible the folder user is linked to John's profile

Looks like it has all the data i need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Machine came with a default account 'user' and John decided to rename it?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/userpath.htm
    Renaming a user account via Computer Management console or the User Accounts applet does not rename the associated user profile folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

have you checked the Administrator folders? the data could be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Just another note on this there is a profile called user which i think has the files i need.

But the profile name is John

Could it be possible the folder user is linked to John's profile

Looks like it has all the data i need.

yeah that probably it alright.. the user name @ welcome screen doesnt have to match the folder name in docs and settings.. easiest way is to search entire drive for a file name you know was linked to John and see where its located

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Just a thought, but have you removed the viruses from the original hard-drive? Else you may risk infecting the computer you're transferring the files to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Search for mp3 or avi, that should show up the folder, could be in old windows directory.
    or search for john .

Advertisement