Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon to trial ultra-fast broadband

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

link

Presumably, their findings will show that they need public money to roll this out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Japan calling.

Good news for Customers with eircom’s Ultra Fast Broadband

Tokyo, 16th June 2010

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan today welcomed the announcement by eircom of its €20 million ultra-fast broadband trials. The open access trials will deliver speeds of up to 150Mb per second, to 10,000 residential and business customers in Wexford Town and Sandyford in Dublin.

Speaking from Japan, where he is meeting with broadband and ICT companies, Minister Ryan said,

“I very much welcome this announcement by eircom, the latest in a line of significant developments in Ireland’s broadband story.

My Department’s National Broadband Scheme has cracked the availability issue and will deliver broadband to every area of Ireland this autumn - 3 years ahead of the EU target of 2013 and 10 years ahead of the USA’s target of 2020.

The speed and quality of broadband has been firmly in my sights since I published my NGB policy paper last year. My policy, based on facilitating competition and providing investment certainty is now beginning to bear fruit, as far as speeds are concerned.

Eircom’s announcement today is one of the most important developments in recent years and will result in huge bandwidth being provided to the trialled homes and businesses. This development, along with the roll out of 100mbps capability by the cable operator, demonstrates the market’s appetite to respond to the demands for bigger bandwidth.

I commend eircom for its proactivity and for its clear commitment to work with other service providers in this trial.

I have no doubt that the lessons learned will greatly inform the roll out of Next Generation Networks on a wider scale. I wish all participants every success with these trials and I look forward to monitoring the development in the months ahead.”

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Good+news+for+Customers+with+eircom’s+Ultra+Fast+Broadband.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

My Department’s National Broadband Scheme has cracked the availability issue and will deliver broadband to every area of Ireland this autumn - 3 years ahead of the EU target of 2013 and 10 years ahead of the USA’s target of 2020.

The speed and quality of broadband has been firmly in my sights since I published my NGB policy paper last year. My policy, based on facilitating competition and providing investment certainty is now beginning to bear fruit, as far as speeds are concerned.

I give up, I really give up, what can you say about this Minister?, delusional? divorced from reality?, the mind boggles.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

jbkenn wrote: »
    I give up, I really give up, what can you say about this Minister?, delusional? divorced from reality?, the mind boggles.

jbkenn
    I know wish we could fire ryan because he so useless it unreal at this stage.sandyford isnt that were magnet has FTTH already in place correct me if im wrong.I dont like that it just a trail because Eircom just trying to annoy us with all this marketing crap.We all know our goverment will never invest even doh our country need it.It nice for rich people in sandyford.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Do these two areas have, or shortly have UPC's 120Mbps cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Could it be that the announcement was to save the Minister's blushes when the Japanese asked him what speed of broadband we have in Ireland?

Got to keep up appearances you know...

M/

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Do these two areas have, or shortly have UPC's 120Mbps cable?
    check UPC's website on the network map would show you if it will.

Mr_Man wrote: »
    Could it be that the announcement was to save the Minister's blushes when the Japanese asked him what speed of broadband we have in Ireland?

Got to keep up appearances you know...

M/
    Yea maybe that were Eircom got the 20 million for this trial of our goverment so they wouldnt seem like a joke make sense.:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My Department’s National Broadband Scheme has cracked the availability issue and will deliver broadband to every area of Ireland this autumn

Maybe he thinks if he keeps saying this it will come true, its not feckin Broadband!

its certainly not available in 100% of the country,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

At least the RTE article didn't mention the minister's vacuous natterings from Japan. He must be proud as punch for "delivering fibre obtic connections across Ireland":rolleyes:

On the other hand, I like how this trial represents a viewpoint within eircom that fibre all the way is the only way forward in the future, if they want to continue being a viable entity. Now, I only dread at the regulatory consequences of Fibre optic household connections and what sort of nitpicking eircom and Comreg will do to frustrate each other and the consumer in general.

At least the RTE article didn't mention the minister's vacuous natterings from Japan. He must be proud as punch for "delivering fibre obtic connections across Ireland":rolleyes:

On the other hand, I like how this trial represents a viewpoint within eircom that fibre all the way is the only way forward in the future, if they want to continue being a viable entity. Now, I only dread at the regulatory consequences of Fibre optic household connections and what sort of nitpicking eircom and Comreg will do to frustrate each other and the consumer in general.
    Comreg is a waste of tax payers money what have they done for broadband in Ireland anybody ?.They done sweet feck all for broadband customers ,and broadband in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Comreg make a tidy profit for taxpayer. Millions Comreg --> Treasury

However it would be better for Consumer and Government if they broke even or made a slight loss. Then they might benefit Consumer and have some accountability to the Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

More information here.

Powerpoint slideshow here (4.2MB)
    I'll be honest, I was surprised to see that Eircom was launching an open access FTTH pilot. They announced this earlier this week, as you can see from this press release. Why am I surprised ? I guess mostly because considering the financial situation that I understand Eircom to be in, I simply don't see how they can go beyond this pilot and actually deploy anything significant. I also think it's unlikely to imagine the Irish government, whose debts levels have been cause for concern recently, to pitch in significantly.
    http://www.fiberevolution.com/
    • An Unbundled Fibre proposition could be developed which would allow Operator hand-off to remain at the exchange. Offer will consist of two distinct elements:
    • Dedicated fibre connections from the Operator co-location space in the eircom exchange building to dedicated splitters in each fibre cabinet
    • Individual unbundled fibres from the fibre cabinet to the customer premises and connected to the dedicated splitter at the point of service provision
    • Fibre [would be] terminated on a simple passive NTU in the customer premises
    • Operator provided ONT in the customer premises connecting to Operator OLT in the co-location space

And:
    • March 2011 - Service start for pilot
    • Exchanges to have 20km reach
    • FTTH default/FTTC with with upgrade path for less accessible areas.
    • Eircom to convene Industry Forum and invite Comreg and DCENR to attend.(moderated by Analysys Mason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

link

Presumably, their findings will show that they need public money to roll this out?

their findings will show that indeed it is very fast.
    :eek::eek:

it should be on their 2020 roll out plan so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

On the other hand, I like how this trial represents a viewpoint within eircom that fibre all the way is the only way forward in the future

In fairness, they've been hinting at all the right notions since the takeover, like being open to network/retail separation, importance of nextgen, etc. Having the money to be able to do any of it, is the tricky bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

And in fairness, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I think that it's good to see eircom looking at the right way forward. I've made the point to other people that it's a result of eircom finally being run as a telecomms company by a telecomms company. We're finally looking at a company who could act on long-term network investment plans, not just talk about them and wink at the DCENR out of the corner of their eye.

Advertisement