Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway through Ireland National Heritage Park at Ferrycarrig.

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

More unbelievable twaddle except that being County Wexford it is quite likely to happen. From today's Guardian:

guardian005.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Unbelievable. More ghost roads for Ireland. Why not just burn the money it'll cost? And do they purposely target vunreable targets like this park? Saddening.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

ok is this a late april fools joke or something???
    Discracefull .. myself and girlfriend were down there a few months back and the place could do with a lick of paint granted but its a great place to go and have a walk and relex

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No, this is not a joke. It is a not very well publicised, but huge project the council are planning to reroute the N11 to Rosslare.

There are eight proposed routes, and the heritage park is one of the least offending obstacles, imo. Two other routes propose to take over miles of green field land, and bash through villages nowhere near a major route right now.

The consulation meeting for residents took place yesterday, but noone in any of the proposed areas received as much as a flyer about it. Disgraceful.

For details of all the proposed routes, see here. http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/OilgateRosslareHarbourProject/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Wow this is completely crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Only heard of this last night AFTER the meeting. Three of the proposed routes go through my front garden! My house is already worth half of what I paid for it and now they are planning to put a motorway at the end of my driveway. I would much prefer for it to go through the heritage park selfish as that may be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Of course it's completely crazy and as anyone who use the N11 - except for motorway groupies - will accept the volume of traffic does not in anyway justify building a motorway. Rosslare Harbour, a port owned by a railway company, and not as much as an envelope comes out of it by rail!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Of course it's completely crazy and as anyone who use the N11 - except for motorway groupies - will accept the volume of traffic does not in anyway justify building a motorway. Rosslare Harbour, a port owned by a railway company, and not as much as an envelope comes out of it by rail!
    Partly because the ferry timetables and the rail timetables dont match. Trains are often gone a half hour before the ship docks. If they got their finger out and sorted the actual infrastructure that exists first, they might be onto something.

This is being extremely poorly handled even at this stage. I can see it turning into a complete nightmare for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

the volume of traffic does not in anyway justify building a motorway

Agreed - no need for a motor way here whatsoever.

Money would be better spent re-surfacing roads around the county (properly at that), putting in a 2nd bridge in New Ross or building an Enniscorthy by-pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Only heard of this last night AFTER the meeting. Three of the proposed routes go through my front garden! My house is already worth half of what I paid for it and now they are planning to put a motorway at the end of my driveway. I would much prefer for it to go through the heritage park selfish as that may be.

I feel for you, but the solution here is not to route the road through the park, or your garden. The solution is NOT TO BUILD IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Enniscorthy bypass is on the way,survey work has been ingoing for the past year or more,archeological surveys have been done on the proposed routes already.As for motorway through the Heritage Park I'd see it as a very unpopular decision but as we seen before-namely the Hill Of Tara debacle it could just go ahead.If so, write it into contracts that main contractor builds new park to replace it.Anyone else got a solution as to the proposed route?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The article seems a bit sensationalist, but it is of grave concern if there are definite plans to route this proposed road through what is probably Wexford's biggest single tourist attraction and something quite valuable to Ireland as a whole.:(

I don't think there is a need to extend the M11 motorway beyond Enniscorthy. The traffic levels do not warrant it. The most urgent road improvemen the N11 needs to to get on with dualling the section between Rathnew and Arklow.

What would be better, and more logical, would be to dual the existing N11/N25 route from Enniscorthy to Rosslare "on line" including the Wexford ring road. That should be more than enough.

In any case there's no money for any new roads once the current crop of motorways are finished and there won't be for some time to come...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Sorry for askin what may amount to a stupid question, but dosent the N11 pretty much run along the edge of the Heritrage park at the moment, I presume this is the Bit between ferrycarraig and the Barntown roundabout, aint that already 2 lanes and a Hard shoulder? why in the name of God does it need to be wider???
    are they proposin a whole new road and Bridge???

Routes.png

Heres a link to the proposed routes. Some of the options would need a new bridge, and some of the routes follow the current N25. This is a plan from the EU as far as I know to create a motorway from Belfast to Rosslare. Its the EU thats funding it also. Its crazy and not needed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yes it's part of the EU masterplan, a motorway from Larne to Lisbon in Portugal - I kid you not. Where is the EU's much trumpeted pro-rail policy when it is wanted? CIE would have closed both lines into Rosslare Harbour years ago except for public protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

This is a long way off. It looks like the proposed road passes slightly to the west of the the Heritage Park for the C and D routes (something like http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=52.36407,-6.528625&spn=0.080505,0.154324&t=h&z=13&msid=115073925642264026859.0004894077c9a18de6614) . The bypass of Enniscorthy will be motorway, my own view is that it should continue as a motorway at least until the first exit to Wexford town coming from the North, after that 2+2 dual carriageway should be sufficient (and probably necessary, the by pass currently has about 18k traffic movements a day). I'm fairly agnostic about whether it should be an on-line upgrade of the current by pass, but if it is online those roundabouts should go.

BTW if you ring the council road office in Enniscorthy they will post you out a leaflet. I rang them yesterday and received mine today. There is a questionnaire attached with space for your own comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Lets bypass a bypass that theres nothing wrong with!

Theyd be better pushed to upgrade the current roads and roads in general with the money, adding extra lanes in places, resurfacing etc. Between land aquisitions and building the road, theres hundreds of millions there to be pumped into fixing the current one!

But saying that, ill bet that in 20 years time no more will have happened with it.

How long is it now that a new garda station has been in the pipelines? About 20 years aswell!?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Does anyone have details of the Enniscorthy by-pass?

There is a whole thread about the N11 in the Infrastructure Forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=195159

Map I posted in n11 thread below!

105337.jpg

Can anyone link to where its stated that its going to be a Motorway rather than a dual carraigeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

Well they are hardly going to build another National Route are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The blue line on the map is motorway and the black line is dual carraigeway with a link road between the two about a 2.5 km north of Enniscorthy.

zerks wrote: »
    The blue line on the map is motorway and the black line is dual carraigeway with a link road between the two about a 2.5 km north of Enniscorthy.

How about the section from wexford town to rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

How about the section from wexford town to rosslare?

you mean oilgate to rosslare? Town to rosslare will be a mix of N25 and M11 by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Does anyone know which are the prefered routes? Route G is going right beside the home place and am not happy about it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

There is no "official" preferred route yet.

Two of the routes knock out my parents place.

Not happy about this.

Detailed maps are now available at
    http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/OilgateRosslareHarbourProject/

Also submissions can be made online

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

I've yet to come across a good reason for this road. Anyone who uses the Rosslare road regularly knows well that there is never and I mean NEVER a traffic problem on it. NO, not even on a bank holiday, not even when everyone is heading to the beach. The road is more than sufficient for it's purpose Once you get out of Enniscorthy, the road from Oilgate is a piece of cake. On one had we are told that the country is sinking and on the other they can spend millions on unnecessary roads that will serve little or no purpose, and rather knock down people's homes and steam through areas of natural beauty instead. Bloody rediculous. Time to sack those WASTERS involved in this waste of resources.

From the Wexford People

Quote:
    COMMUNITIES who had been united against the Rosslare to Oylegate motorway are now going it alone, with some already backing routes that cut through the parishes of their former friends.
    An umbrella group, representing communities against the proposed new motorway, held its first meeting just last July, with Miles Deas, a member of the Barntown committee, elected as its chairman.
    The main argument put forward by the joint committee has been that a motorway is not needed
    correspondence from the NRA and County Manager Eddie Breen has made it abundantly clear that this is not an option and the motorway will proceed as planned.
    Barntown is now pushing route H, which cuts through Cleariestown and Murrintown. The Crossabeg committee is also in favour of this option, as it is the only route not running through the parish.
    Wexford County Council County Manager Eddie Breen said the preferred route will be announced at the end of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

As someone who lives quite near all of these proposed routes I would be in favour of the new road. I agree there are other areas of the road that need immediate attention such as the Enniscorthy bypass and the road past Jack White's but these will be done in time as the plan is to have a motorway from Rosslare to Dublin. I would hope a bit of common sense would prevail and the route chosen would not go through the heritage park but I can't see this happening.

As I said I live on or near all of these proposed routes and would like to see anything that encourages inward investment into Wexford, I find the comments like 'its in my garden' or 'near the parents place' quite selfish and this plan will be for the good of the region. I know the CPO process is not perfect but people directly affected by the road will be compensated.

Advertisement