Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway through Ireland National Heritage Park at Ferrycarrig.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

what about older people who wouldnt be up to moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

As long as it does not go near any of our esteemed politicians back gardens it should be okay.

And at the risk of going off topic perhaps we should consider extending it to West Cork to cut down on Ivor Calelly's expenses.

Sure we would save the cost of it in no time at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

foolelle wrote: »
    what about older people who wouldnt be up to moving?

Well obviously the system is not perfect, but if this was the case nothing would ever be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

like to see anything that encourages inward investment into Wexford

When you say inward investment do you mean money being spent on the proposed new road surface or do you mean that the road will result in inward investment from other parties looking to take advantage of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Infrastructure is needed for progress-how nice would it be to drive from Wexford to Dublin in less than an hour.As much as people hate it-Dublin is the central hub of the country and we need decent links to it to encourage industry and business to move to other areas outside the pale.
    For years we have had too much insular thinking and fear of progress,the 'NO MOTORWAY THROUGH CROSSABEG' signs on the N11 are an example of such thinking.Nobody want's a CPO of their land or homes but that's progress and they'll be paid for it unlike say China where they get thrown out on the street as the bulldozers move in.

• Advertisement

how nice would it be to drive from Wexford to Dublin in less than an hour

It'd be nice too if you could get the train to Dublin in less than an hour... but that's another story.

Does anyone know how much an affected party would receive in compensation (ballpark)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much an affected party would receive in compensation (ballpark)?

Get some of the Government departments involved and they'd get double the money.;):D:D:D

I'd be very interested to know what sort of money were talking about here.

I mean... depending on where your house is located in relation to the new road it could make it almost impossible to sell.

So are you being paid enough to walk away from the house or just enough to make you feel happy for a nice holiday, a new car and the rest of your life watching vehicles zoom past your sitting room window?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

jpb1974 wrote: »
    When you say inward investment do you mean money being spent on the proposed new road surface or do you mean that the road will result in inward investment from other parties looking to take advantage of the road?

Well the road would obviously give jobs to local people during the construction process but when finished would encourage industry to locate in Wexford due to the good road network and links to mainland Europe through Rosslare; this wouldn't occur straight away but would encourage it in the long term.

I'm not sure what you mean about how much compensation you would receive; it obviously depends on the property you have. If you have a house, you would receive a lot more than someone with agricultural land. You won't receive compensation for a possible fall in value of your property if the proposed route does not pass directly through your property i.e. if you have a house right next to the road. It is very bad economic timing though for people who receive a CPO notice though. The value of the land stands from the value on the day of notice served so if someone receives a notice today but the deal isn't concluded for another five years they would only receive the value today, even if values have recovered in five years. This occurs both ways though. A lump sum is normally added onto the value though just to encourage people to settle.

• Advertisement

To be honest... if someone told me that there was going to be a motorway running a couple of hundred meters away from my house I would go absolutely mental.

I wouldn't give a flying phuck about how long it takes to get to Dublin or if there was a prospect of a few factories popping up about the place.

All well and good for some people... but for me it might well be the case of having a house I can't sell and very little peace and privacy for the rest of my days there.

I can feel for the people that are possibly affected by this. I value my peace and privacy more than a few thousand euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

zerks wrote: »
    Infrastructure is needed for progress-....
    For years we have had too much insular thinking and fear of progress,the 'NO MOTORWAY THROUGH CROSSABEG' signs on the N11 are an example of such thinking. Nobody want's a CPO of their land or homes but that's progress and they'll be paid for it .

Have to agree 100%. CPO would be hard, if you lived there all your life but it might be great if your house is tired & worn - a chance of a fresh start in a new dream home.

The motorway is needed - that progress. A CPO could be a new start, depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty.

What about the homes that would be close enough to the proposed route to have their peace and quiet taken from them but not close enough for a CPO?

What about the people who've lived in a family home for a number of generations who don't want to move?

What about elderly people who are too old for relocating?

Personally I don't resent development and anyone that isn't affected probably isn't overly concerned either... but there are 2 sides to every story and it's easy for people who aren't affected to talk about fresh starts when it's not their own circumstances that are affected.

Same applies to the Castle nightclub... do I care that it's re-opening... 'no'.... does it affect me... 'no'... do I understand and accept that people living within the vicinity are going to lose out on their peace and quiet... 'yes'... do I feel for them... 'yes'... would I feel the same if I were in their shoes... 'yes'.

It's not about seeing the glass as either half full or half empty... it's about seeing it from both perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Comparing the opening of the Castle niteclub to the building of a new Motorway is crazy.

Comparing a few people that chose to live beside a niteclub and now might find it a bit noisey can not compare to the inconvience of having to move home after the Government forced you out after Council issued CPO.

I feel for those issued a CPO, its not nice to have to sell your home or land.

But without CPO we will remain a second rate Country with very poor infrastructure. Progress causes upset and disruption but those affected will be compensated fully - unlike those in Fascist or Communist States.

I see the positives of a new motorway - the convience of travel, improved transport will bring jobs, bring us into 21st century. So for the sake of this Countries future, our children and the democratic majority - my glass is definately half full.

I wish the Enniscorthy by-pass & New Ross by-pass were complete so the Towns would cease to be one big traffic jam. Crazy places on a Friday afternoon - smell the fumes of petrol.

Comparing a few people that chose to live beside a niteclub and now might find it a bit noisey can not compare to the inconvience of having to move home after the Government forced you out after Council issued CPO.

I wasn't even remotely attempting to compare like for like.

It was meant as a simple example of how I choose to look at situations both from a positive impact and a negative impact.

Advertisement