Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bookcase

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

hi lads

I am going to be building a bookcase in one of the rooms and was looking for tips, advice, links? Questions include, best wood to use (we will be painting it white), best way to get a good look from fixing the shelving, ie screws not visible etc, any pitfalls to look out for.

Wall is nice and square and I am not looking for anything complicated just your basic 2 sides, top and bottom (and there is a question - do i just lob a bit off the bottom shelf to accomodate the skirting which I really don't want to touch) and shelves in between. Do I need to add an additional upright if the span exceeds a certain length for example (probably needs one upright not a big wall but big enough) - how is best to secure to the wall also?

Anyway as ye can see loads of questions so any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

hi lads

I am going to be building a bookcase in one of the rooms and was looking for tips, advice, links? Questions include, best wood to use (we will be painting it white), best way to get a good look from fixing the shelving, ie screws not visible etc, any pitfalls to look out for.

Wall is nice and square and I am not looking for anything complicated just your basic 2 sides, top and bottom (and there is a question - do i just lob a bit off the bottom shelf to accomodate the skirting which I really don't want to touch) and shelves in between. Do I need to add an additional upright if the span exceeds a certain length for example (probably needs one upright not a big wall but big enough) - how is best to secure to the wall also?

Anyway as ye can see loads of questions so any help appreciated.

Cheers

Howya

If painting it plain mdf is probably best and cheapest use 18mm. With regard to the skirting why not use legs like on a kitchen cabinet and adust the level so it's slightly higher than the skirting , then put a plinth on front of you bookshelf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

make sure you check out the sagulator to find out the best material for your shelves it calculates the thickness of the material you will need based on the span and the projected load.
    I would recommend plywood for the shelves themselves at least. MDF will sag under it's own weight over time and the heaviest thing you can put on a shelf is books.
    The free sample of woodsmith magazine has a good bookcase plan in it.

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/sample/ under the designer series project.

Advertisement