Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swype vs ShapeWriter

• 16-06-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I had ShapeWriter rocking on my Hero, and loved it. Could type much much faster and loved it's simplicity.

Just got my hands on a Desire and Swype - finally :)

I have to say I much prefer ShapeWriter to Swype.

Prefer:

Don't have to move my finger on double letter words.

The silly capitalization thing on Swype - I couldn't do that to say my life accurately. It is easy in ShapeWriter.

Most people seem to prefer Swype, but I found it difficult to use straight out of downloading it and ShapeWriter I can type faster with.

Anyone else feeling this?

FYI on the ShapeWriter market page they claim it will be taken down soon, so get it whilst you can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I did try it briefly but can't remember how it was... what do you do for a double letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

You get a little bar of similar words to the characters you entered, this includes words that you may have not entered correctly due to dodgy fingering, much like the original touch input.

AFAIK it defaults to the one you use the most, for instance I enter soon in more times than son, but I only have to use the letters s - o - n in one movement to get soon displayed by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I liked the shape writer one before but changed to swype now.
    Keyboard on shape writer had low res ugly graphics but it did some things better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I use shapewriter and think its great, only thing i have an issue with is using it to type passwords and what not, typing things rather than sliding on them can be tricky.

Also I find it to be very large on the screen in certain apps and programs.

Other than that. Im very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I use shapewriter and think its great, only thing i have an issue with is using it to type passwords and what not, typing things rather than sliding on them can be tricky.

It can be almost impossible to type a decent password with SW. I have sworn at the phone in public places many trying to do this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Yeah ive gotten some wierd looks in places, muttering swear's under my breath and trying to choke the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TimonEL

I had ShapeWriter rocking on my Hero, and loved it. Could type much much faster and loved it's simplicity.

Just got my hands on a Desire and Swype - finally :)

I have to say I much prefer ShapeWriter to Swype.

Anyone else feeling this?

FYI on the ShapeWriter market page they claim it will be taken down soon, so get it whilst you can.

Also thought I would mention SlideIT, which is a replacement keyboard similar to Swype and is available on the market as a free trial and a paid app. I actually prefer SlideIT to Swype (and the fact that I don't have to jump through stupid beta signup hoops to get the .apk file...) Works on all Android versions, give it a shot.
    Here's a demonstration of it in action:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

TimonEL wrote: »
    Also thought I would mention SlideIT, which is a replacement keyboard similar to Swype and is available on the market as a free trial and a paid app. I actually prefer SlideIT to Swype (and the fact that I don't have to jump through stupid beta signup hoops to get the .apk file...) Works on all Android versions, give it a shot.
    Here's a demonstration of it in action:

Actually that's the one I was referring to above not shape writer.

Advertisement