Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about alt and az?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys, I need some help!
    Im a complete beginner astronomer - I downloaded stellarium, and after reading the observing for beginners thread I decided to try use the alt and az coordinates for the moon with dublin as the location - and it didnt match up where the telescope was pointing. Ive set the latitude on the telescope to 53 degrees. Am I missing something? Im using a celestron 90eqmd.
    Also - using stellarium, what piece of information tells me when an object crosses my set up field of view?
    On the celestron, on the declination setting circle - how do you pick the angle as it reads 0-90 right to left and left to right - which do I pick?

Really appreciate the help!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Am I missing something? Im using a celestron 90eqmd.

Im not exactly sure what you are trying to do, are you trying to convert alt azimuth co ordinate system into equatorial?
    Also - using stellarium, what piece of information tells me when an object crosses my set up field of view?

as far as i am aware stellarium displays both RA and Dec coordinates along with alt and azimuth coordinates. you need to have both co ordinates in either coordinate system to have something in your viewfinder, much like the lines of lat and long, in that case one or the other is useless on their own.
    On the celestron, on the declination setting circle - how do you pick the angle as it reads 0-90 right to left and left to right - which do I pick?

Declination if its positive is in the northern hemisphere of our celestial sphere (between celestial equator and north pole = 0 to +90) 0 is the equator +90 degrees is the north pole, if its negative its below (0 to -90) so negative is the south pole

if you are confused about the use of equatorial system you may find the following helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_coordinate_system

• Registered Users Posts: 23 the quick fix

Thank you very much for the help. I have a much better understanding now of the telescope now. I know now that I have to find polaris as it is a few degrees off north. I know which way is east and west and north, its just the house is blocking the view of polaris. So if i aimed it in the north direction, how accurate would my positioning have to be in relation to the telescope pointing at polaris for the coordinates i have to work? or would it make a big difference?

Advertisement