Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Has anyone come up with any disadvantages of coming out of contract?

It means that they can change the prices as often as they like and you can't complain about it since you are not contracted up to specific prices. In theory after the exodus is complete, they could jack up the non-contract prices. But to be honest that would be really stupid cause we would all just leave O2 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Just noticed that there is a 9c charge for calls for a set up fee...

Is that new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

9 cent min charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Haddockman wrote: »
    The 11811 is the get out clause for all contracts.

I wonder could you apply this to their mobile broadband contracts as technically the sims can make chargable voice calls?

Yes, I'd say you could alright. They won't want to let you I wouldn't say, but they might have to in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

Hi

I'm just about to cancel my contract, but there is one thing holding me back. I was wondering can I still continue with the same plan (I get free calls to landlines which is handy for my business). Can they start charging me more for the plan because they're not bound by a contract?

Thanks
    LOVE this post by the way. It's good to have one over on the big guys for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Hi

I'm just about to cancel my contract, but there is one thing holding me back. I was wondering can I still continue with the same plan (I get free calls to landlines which is handy for my business). Can they start charging me more for the plan because they're not bound by a contract?

Thanks
    LOVE this post by the way. It's good to have one over on the big guys for a change.

They'll tell you that you are still on the same plan, however the new charges linked at the beginning of this thread, and any new charges they decide to bring in, will be passed onto you immediately, as you are not contracted to them, they are not contracted to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

They'll tell you that you are still on the same plan, however the new charges linked at the beginning of this thread, and any new charges they decide to bring in, will be passed onto you immediately, as you are not contracted to them, they are not contracted to you.

I'm not so sure they would be so quick to piss off the people who can leave them. I know if they pulled anything like that on me I'll be using my lack of contract to take my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

Cool, so I should just be brave and cancel then. Ok I'm gonna do it.

Thanks so much guys I really appreciate the information and advice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Hi,

Been reading through the thread in bits and pieces and couldnt find an answer so I have a couple of questions for you. Sorry if its been covered before.

I have the iphone 3GS since december. On the €45 a month contract. I dont go near the the monthly download limit. And I'm generally within my 100 texts and 175mins per month that I get.

Would getting out of my contract be of any benefit to me? Like, could I get a pay as you go sim and use it in the iphone?

I saw that the data charge for pay as you go is 99c per day. I would definitely use it every day so thats €30 a month right? And i see its free texts and calls as long as you top up by €20 a month if Im reading the o2 website right?

So am I wrong in thinking that it would work out roughly the same cost for me?

I'll be glad to be told that I'm an idiot and have it all wrong if it means I save money!

Cheers if anyone has any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mr Soft wrote: »
    Hi,

Been reading through the thread in bits and pieces and couldnt find an answer so I have a couple of questions for you. Sorry if its been covered before.

I have the iphone 3GS since december. On the €45 a month contract. I dont go near the the monthly download limit. And I'm generally within my 100 texts and 175mins per month that I get.

Would getting out of my contract be of any benefit to me? Like, could I get a pay as you go sim and use it in the iphone?

I saw that the data charge for pay as you go is 99c per day. I would definitely use it every day so thats €30 a month right? And i see its free texts and calls as long as you top up by €20 a month if Im reading the o2 website right?

So am I wrong in thinking that it would work out roughly the same cost for me?

I'll be glad to be told that I'm an idiot and have it all wrong if it means I save money!

Cheers if anyone has any advice.

The only thing cancelling your contract does is gets you out of being compelled to stay on your plan for 18 months. If you are happy with your current plan, cancelling your contract doesn't stop you staying on it.

If you are looking for an alternative, the Vodafone Simply 100 may be a good fit - it's a 30 day rolling contract, costing €20 and giving 100 any network minutes and 100 any network texts. You also get free VF to VF calls and texts (although I think they are changing this to any 5 people on any network instead). You can then purchase a 1GB data add-on for a tenner, so it ends up being 30 quid a month.

I'm going to switch to that I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 vinnysixx

Just phoned o2 there.

I was on hold for a good 10 minutes, but the conversation with the o2 rep took all of 15 seconds.

Very easy and wont be leaving o2 (until I see what vodaphone's iphone 4 options are anyway).

Nice to have the option to walk away though.

Hi,

Got my desire on June 11th, and just got out of contract. Thanks OP!

Just a quick question. My phone is already unlocked. Can I port my number now to Vodafone say, or do I have to wait until the 12th of July, or give 30 days notice or anything like that? Also, probably an even stupider question, but would I ring o2 or Vodafone to do that?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can port now. Moved to 3pay myself. Great deal.

keane2097 wrote: »
    The only thing cancelling your contract does is gets you out of being compelled to stay on your plan for 18 months. If you are happy with your current plan, cancelling your contract doesn't stop you staying on it.

If you are looking for an alternative, the Vodafone Simply 100 may be a good fit - it's a 30 day rolling contract, costing €20 and giving 100 any network minutes and 100 any network texts. You also get free VF to VF calls and texts (although I think they are changing this to any 5 people on any network instead). You can then purchase a 1GB data add-on for a tenner, so it ends up being 30 quid a month.

I'm going to switch to that I think.

Cheers keane2097, very helpful.

So if I ring and say I want to cancel my contract I dont have to leave o2 straight away or anything? That part had me confused when I was reading up.

Also, I assume my iphone is locked to o2 so it wouldnt be a case of just cancelling my o2 account and then getting a Vodafone pay as you go sim and putting it into the iphone?

Again apologies if they are stupid questions

Cheers keane2097, very helpful.

So if I ring and say I want to cancel my contract I dont have to leave o2 straight away or anything? That part had me confused when I was reading up.

That's correct. I cancelled myself a couple of days ago and I'm still on the same plan.

That's the thing - you're cancelling your contract, not your plan.
    Also, I assume my iphone is locked to o2 so it wouldnt be a case of just cancelling my o2 account and then getting a Vodafone pay as you go sim and putting it into the iphone?

I'm actually not sure about this, maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm, but I assume you need to get your phone unlocked...

That's correct. I cancelled myself a couple of days ago and I'm still on the same plan.

That's the thing - you're cancelling your contract, not your plan.

I'm actually not sure about this, maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm, but I assume you need to get your phone unlocked...

Great, thanks again.

Might give them a call later on so. Cheers

Great, thanks again.

Might give them a call later on so. Cheers

no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amandaw1

Um.. I don't know if anyone's asked this yet - i read up to about 30 pages.. then decided to give up and just ask!!

But - does this mean.. I can walk into an 02 store now, buy a 16G iPhone 3GS on billpay for €129 on a billpay plan.. then - call them next week & say under section 17 - I don't accept the new charges?? And break my contract with them and opt into a cheaper pay monthly rate? Like the pre-pay plans? While still only having paid €129 for the phone?!

Or are the new contracts being issued have this new charge listed on it already?

Hope someone can help! :)

amandaw1 wrote: »
    Um.. I don't know if anyone's asked this yet - i read up to about 30 pages.. then decided to give up and just ask!!

But - does this mean.. I can walk into an 02 store now, buy a 16G iPhone 3GS on billpay for €129 on a billpay plan.. then - call them next week & say under section 17 - I don't accept the new charges?? And break my contract with them and opt into a cheaper pay monthly rate? Like the pre-pay plans? While still only having paid €129 for the phone?!

Or are the new contracts being issued have this new charge listed on it already?

That would be fairly scummy behaviour no?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

How could you do that to a big faceless mobile phone company - its not like they've been raping us for massive profits for the last 10 years. Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

Hey guys have not decided to get out of contract yet! Just one thing I have a gold upgrade with o2 which will be better to stay or cancel my contract with them, Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

amandaw1 wrote: »

This has been covered many times - probably lost somewhere in the hundreds of threads.

Simple answer is no

If you buy now your contract terms will be per those to be introduced to everyone else in July and so effectively your contract will not change and so you cannot opt out.

If you do buy now just watch for the next change (which will probably now be flagged up on Boards) and get out of contract commitment on that one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

dolby wrote: »
    Hey guys have not decided to get out of contract yet! Just one thing I have a gold upgrade with o2 which will be better to stay or cancel my contract with them, Cheers

AFAIK upgrades are not affected by this - at least that is what o2 told me (although I am not due one until next Feb anyhow).

Of course, when you do upgrade o2 will put you back into a contract

Zascar wrote: »
    How could you do that to a big faceless mobile phone company - its not like they've been raping us for massive profits for the last 10 years. Shame on you.

You're talking about lying about not knowing the contents of a legal contract so you can scam your way to piece of hardware worth several hundred euro on the cheap.

If you want an iPhone buy the fcuking thing like any normal decent person IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I already have one thanks, and I'm out of contract already so this is of no use to me. However I would not condemn anyone who did want to do this. The public screwed all the time by big companies rules and contracts, for once it goes the other way....

Zascar wrote: »
    I already have one thanks, and I'm out of contract already so this is of no use to me. However I would not condemn anyone who did want to do this. We get screwed all the time by companies legal contracts, for once it goes the other way....

It's willful thievery tbh, fairly shocking way to carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

You're talking about lying about not knowing the contents of a legal contract so you can scam your way to piece of hardware worth several hundred euro on the cheap.

If you want an iPhone buy the fcuking thing like any normal decent person IMO.

It's a moot point as he can't do that anyway.

Thanks again to OP I am now contract free!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 teg23

Thanks, OP - now out of contract.:)

That would be fairly scummy behaviour no?

Nope.. em.. I wouldn't class it as SCUMMY? I think SCUMMY is the charges that has been forced upon us here on Ireland for years when roaming in different countries... and only when the EU stepped in to regulate the tariffs about a year or two back have I not suffered from PHONEBILL rage when I come back from any of my hols!!

The scummy phone companies here even tried appealing the decision by the EU.

I am guiltfree! However, unable to do this anyway thanks to the very lovely people here that have given me the advice! Thanks guys!

:D

• Advertisement

It's willful thievery tbh, fairly shocking way to carry on.

Rightio - we get it!! He who has never sinned... cast the first stone and all that!!!! I'm sure you've never taken advantage of anything in your life, or never done or said anything wrong along the lines of "willful thievary". Have you never ever downloaded a song? Or watched a movie online... that infringes on copyright! Hmmph. My guess is. You're just like the rest of us!

Zascar was just giving his opinion!!! Much the same as were giving yours! And it was only a question! And if you're asking - yes. If I could have I would have!!!
    I'm with Zascar on this, companies have screwed us over for a lifetime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement