Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

You know - someone should stick a poll in this thread and then every boardsie who got out after seeing this thread could vote as having done so and Shredneck you would know how many left cos of this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 amandaw1

thebiglad wrote: »
    This has been covered many times - probably lost somewhere in the hundreds of threads.

Simple answer is no

If you buy now your contract terms will be per those to be introduced to everyone else in July and so effectively your contract will not change and so you cannot opt out.

If you do buy now just watch for the next change (which will probably now be flagged up on Boards) and get out of contract commitment on that one:D

Thanks biglad!! Was tough going there trying to read through all them threads for that question! Appreciate the answer! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I would not feel bad in any way shape or form of getting out of contract if I was e.g. half way through etc. However I'm not sure if I would actually sign up for a new contract with the sole purpose of getting out straight away, just to get an iphone for cheap. The reason is I know a person who owns an 02 franchise, and I'm guessing if someone did it to him, he'd have to take the loss himself instead of 02 as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,162 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Zascar wrote: »
    The reason is I know a person who owns an 02 franchise, and I'm guessing if someone did it to him, he'd have to take the loss himself instead of 02 as a company.

They'd loose there revenue share but o2 would hardly start hitting them with clawbacks, if they did that would be just nasty as o2 were the ones who created the problem by upping their call charges.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well I do know that if he gets hit by e.g. a nigerian scammer with fake credentials, it hits him hard - he covers the costs, not O2 group. It has happened a lot in the past. Business is business and profits are profits - big faceless corporations don't care. Which is why if it's getting out of contract from 02 I would not feel bad in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Finally got out of contract after several calls. Thanks Op.

Next step: switch to 3 at the weekend.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Has anybody with an iPhone recently come out of contract with O2 and just changed to the 20euro simplicity contract plus 7.47EUR for 250mb mobile interent? basically the same package for less.

€20 a month O2 Simplicity: 100 texts, 100mins, free O2 to O2 calls and texts
    €7.47 a month for 250mb data, or €12.50 for 1gb.

€40 a month Advance 150: 100 texts, 150mins, free O2 to O2 callls and texts
    inclusive 2gb data.

I use the iPhone for general news apps and facebook etc and never go over 300mb a month...

Was thinking of getting the iPhone 4 sim free up north and using option 1 to offset the higher initial cost of 730euro for the 32gb. With 5mp camera and HD recording I think the 32gb is a must.
    Yup, that's exactly what I did. Changed to Simplicity and the 250MB data bundle (as most of the time I use wifi). Much happier paying 27eur than 45, with rolling 30 day contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

"
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.
    "
    Was anyone notified? Anyone get a text message or a call or a letter in the post? An email even???
    Thanks to the OP we all know about it but did O2 complete their obligations here?

I've just asked my wife to ring them. I'm getting an an iPhone 4 in July anyway but a move to vodafone will be in the cards.
    Good choice IMO.
    I just called O2 and was told that a note has been put on my account but i will need to call again on 13 July and confirm that i still want to withdraw.
    B*x Dorothy you got a twit on the other end of the phone. Get back on and tell them you want out and that's the end of it.
    just pause here..........what would be the disadvantages of removing myself from a contract? would i not be entitled to an upgrade, say?

anybody think of any others?
    what about a new sign up attraction offer? It's the same or better than an upgrade no? When you "upgrade" as they call it usually it's an attraction to get you to "re-NEW" your contract.

Mr Soft wrote: »
    Cheers keane2097, very helpful.

So if I ring and say I want to cancel my contract I dont have to leave o2 straight away or anything? That part had me confused when I was reading up.
    No. A friend of mine did it. He cancelled the contract and is now still with O2 while he is taking his sweet time looking at the prices from other companies. Nice to have options (I think he's off to Vodafone)
    Mr Soft wrote: »
    Also, I assume my iphone is locked to o2 so it wouldnt be a case of just cancelling my o2 account and then getting a Vodafone pay as you go sim and putting it into the iphone?
    Get your unlock code first. Then cancel.

(with Vodafone they're available online to thier customers sp you don't even have to call)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

i got out of my contract yday.

As i changed tarifs in may , i had 17momths left on new contract..
    by getting out of the deal i get to keep my Unlimited Data, and current plan, just pay 27c per min rather then 20c per min outside of my 150 min allowance....

if the new charges are working out too dear, i will change to VF or see what the best iphone 4 deal is when they come out...

at least it gives me freedom, and to be honest if i didnt cancel my contract, i would still have to pay the charges anyway come 12th july

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

Zascar wrote: »

That's a start and it's at the EU level. We need to keep turning the screws so that it's set at a national level and nobody gets any more shock bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgiemcgrane

I just called up and was on hold for 15 mins, got the contracts cancelled and indicated that I wanted to change to the Simplicty Plans, I was told that "Sorry even if you are out of contract - If you have an iPhone you MUST remain on an iPhone Tarriff"

So they are saying that Im no longer in contract and free to move to another network if need be, BUT I must stay on an iphone tariff if I continue to use an iphone on the 02 network.

Asked where in their terms and conditions this was stated and she couldnt tell me. So am waiting for a call from a supervisor now to explain to me where It states I MUST remain on an iphone tarriff.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I just called up and was on hold for 15 mins, got the contracts cancelled and indicated that I wanted to change to the Simplicty Plans, I was told that "Sorry even if you are out of contract - If you have an iPhone you MUST remain on an iPhone Tarriff"

So they are saying that Im no longer in contract and free to move to another network if need be, BUT I must stay on an iphone tariff if I continue to use an iphone on the 02 network.

Asked where in their terms and conditions this was stated and she couldnt tell me. So am waiting for a call from a supervisor now to explain to me where It states I MUST remain on an iphone tarriff.

I cant see how that would work.
    Please post here when you hear back-quite interested to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

somethings not right about that mate, when i cancelled my contract, i was told by the guy, that i'm on speakeasy, i opted to stay with the network, but he put me on prepay speakeasy, so i presume its the same as what your basic o2 customers are on, and not an iPhone tarriff.

its amazing how it seems to many people are getting screwed over here, you just need to tell them, look, i want my contract cancelled, and tell them that so mnay people have got out of it, and if your not happy, ask to speak to someone else who can get you out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

I just called O2 and was told that a note has been put on my account but i will need to call again on 13 July and confirm that i still want to withdraw.

thats complete balls, the new charges come in from july 12th, and it says on the site, that, if you dont opt out of it before then, then you automatically go onto the new ones, so, they're just trying to fob you off into rolling into that new contract without realising.

ring back ASAP and tell them you wont hang on,they tell you to ring back in a month, bloody gangsters, dont get caught up by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jonocon

I've just been on to o2, i'm on a business plan and she said business plans arent affected by the change in terms, is this true??? she says it'd be €350 to buy out of my contract

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

just sent them an email saying " due to changes in t&c taking place july 12th, i'd like to move to prepay from my bill pay plan". would that be ok for them? will they have any excuse to charge me for it? thanks lads!!:confused:

I'd still ring them. They can ignore an email but its hard to ignore you when you are on the phone to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 foleyfresh

This is exactly what I'd like to do. Can you let us know what they say?

Also does anyone know how quickly I can get my number ported over to another network if they refuse this? I'm not staying on the crazy iPhone rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

Thats bollocks. I have an iphone too, and I managed to get out of contract and was moved to speakeasy with no hassle whatsoever. Well... nothing that wasn't resolved by persistently quoting regulation 17 that is.

By the way, thanks a MILLION to the OP! I got an iphone 3GS basically for free! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

jonocon wrote: »
    I've just been on to o2, i'm on a business plan and she said business plans arent affected by the change in terms, is this true??? she says it'd be €350 to buy out of my contract

Nonsense. I got that the first time I called. Call back and just say that you do not agree with the contract change and want to be released. If they say you arent affected again ask for it in writing. Some of their agents seem to lie but most dont care and will sort it. Business customers are affected. I know as I am one and was released from contract and had my iphone unlocked-2 months into contract..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

foleyfresh wrote: »

Also does anyone know how quickly I can get my number ported over to another network if they refuse this? I'm not staying on the crazy iPhone rate.
    Go to another network and you can be ported away in 2 to 3 hours.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Go to another network and you can be ported away in 2 to 3 hours.
    Cheers. I think I'll be moving to Voda. I don't agree with this censorship they're partaking in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,162 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cheers. I think I'll be moving to Voda. I don't agree with this censorship they're partaking in either.

Your leaving o2 because of their crazy prices and moving to Vodafone. :confused:
    This is the same Vodafone that's using the word unlimited on the most limited broadband this side of china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Your leaving o2 because of their crazy prices and moving to Vodafone. :confused:
    This is the same Vodafone that's using the word unlimited on the most limited broadband this side of china.

I'm moving to Vodafone too. Main attraction is the 1gb data bundle (€9.99) that can be used for roaming at no extra cost. O2 generously charge a roaming plan @ €75 (ex vat) for 500mb per month! Now there's a rip off

I'm not sure what you mean by "limited". As I understand it (I am not on Vodafone so I cannot say for sure), Vodafone have not yet (officially anyway) begun censorship of websites. Am I wrong?
    In terms of cost, I was saying that if O2 would only allow me to stay on an iPhone tariff then it would most definitely be cheaper to move over to Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

just sent them an email saying " due to changes in t&c taking place july 12th, i'd like to move to prepay from my bill pay plan". would that be ok for them? will they have any excuse to charge me for it? thanks lads!!:confused:

I rang, got contract cancelled and asked for email confirmation which I received straight away. Guy even rang to check if I got the email!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I cancelled my contract and porter to Meteor about an hour later. You should be good to go as soon as you cancel!

I cancelled my contract and porter to Meteor about an hour later. You should be good to go as soon as you cancel!

Yup, gonna go to Meteor Bill Pay Lite (50mins & 50 txts): €10 per month + 250MB Data €5 per month. Bargain!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would that honour not go to Three? Unlimited means 250MB per month, and free means €5 comes out of your €20 top-up. It beats me how the Phone companies can be allowed to completely twist the language to suit themselves. Time for another complaint to the authorities.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement