Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

NO.

Again. Because 02 will make you aware of the forthcoming price increases when you sign the contract

What if they don't make me aware of the forthcoming price increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    What if they don't make me aware of the forthcoming price increase?
    It is entirely up to you to read the small print of your contract.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

It is entirely up to you to read the small print of your contract.. :p

Good business practice would be to inform you of their intentions to change the terms of the contract by letter or even a text........not a discretely placed statement on their website. They know full well that most people would not be looking for this on their website and were hoping to make the changes quietly with no penalty for themselves!

Mobile phone companies in particular thrive on people's ignorance, particularly on those that do not read the terms and conditions of the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Good business practice would be to inform you of their intentions to change the terms of the contract by letter or even a text

I don't understand, if you are a new customer, they're not changing anything on you. They give you their charges, you sign up. Anybody who signs up now or signed up since this information was released would have been let know either by written detail in the contract and/or verbally in store.

If you signed up for something different, then you are allowed out of contract. You can't get out of contract because you changed your mind*

*Some operators probably give a 7/14 day "change your mind" period.

• Advertisement

1000th post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

1000th post. :)

Damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

I purchased an iPhone from o2 on 26th June, when I was informed of the contract opt out, I then contacted o2, I was informed that I agreed to these price increases when I signed the contract. My argument is that the girl I delt with in the shop never made me aware of the new price increases nor does it state it anywhere in the t's & c's. Do I not have a right to cancel due to the fact I was not made aware and that there t & c do NOT state these increases???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I purchased an iPhone from o2 on 26th June, when I was informed of the contract opt out, I then contacted o2, I was informed that I agreed to these price increases when I signed the contract. My argument is that the girl I delt with in the shop never made me aware of the new price increases nor does it state it anywhere in the t's & c's. Do I not have a right to cancel due to the fact I was not made aware and that there t & c do NOT state these increases???

The new prices were announced 2 weeks before you even bought the phone, so no get out clause for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You can cancel now but you will have to return the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

there were no price increases after you signed your contract, they came into effect before you bought it. you accepted them the minute you signed the contract

I understand there was a notification on there website dated 12th June, but I was told it was stated in the terms, of the price increase. Surely this couldn't be an argument for them trying to say it is in the terms, just because it was posted on the website, nowhere linked to the terms.

mossym wrote: »
    there were no price increases after you signed your contract, they came into effect before you bought it. you accepted them the minute you signed the contract

Does the increases not come into effect on 12 July???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I'm on hols, roaming, my 02 app account is showing around 160 euros of data charges, supposed to be capped and my Internet cut off at 60 to protect me from bill shock, as of new eu law which came into effect July 1, I have got no warning text messages from o2 saying I'm aproaching my limit, it appears my 3G had been cut off, but still have full access to webs ? Not gonna be paying more then 60 that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

BOBBY wrote: »
    I'm on hols, roaming, my 02 app account is showing around 160 euros of data charges, supposed to be capped and my Internet cut off at 60 to protect me from bill shock, as of new eu law which came into effect July 1, I have got no warning text messages from o2 saying I'm aproaching my limit, it appears my 3G had been cut off, but still have full access to webs ? Not gonna be paying more then 60 that's for sure

I'd recommend contacting O2 directly about it. Try http://forums.o2online.ie

Does the increases not come into effect on 12 July???

sorry, i should have said was announced, you signed your contract knowing the price was coming into effect(in their eyes)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Update: I signed up on 13th June and was not informed of the new charges, spoke with O2 customer service and they said nothing they could do as i was aware of the new charges "in their eyes" as documentation had been issued to shops and I should not have been shown old rates.

I was advised to call into shop to see what they say.

I proceeded to do this and they informed me that they did not get new documentation until 1st July with new rates. Must get back onto 1909 in the morning.

mossym wrote: »
    sorry, i should have said was announced, you signed your contract knowing the price was coming into effect(in their eyes)
    I understand where your coming from, but as a new bill pay customer I reviewed the price plans and nowhere in there did it give any info about price increases it gave the old/ existing prices this is where I have the problem.

Right, bare with me for being completly thick here, I've just never really understood contracts and that...I'm one of these people who just says "yes" in the shop :rolleyes: And I don't really want to go searching through all these pages, but what exactly would it mean if I rang up and told them to cancel my contract because of this? I'm probably about 6 months or so into a 24 month contract...so what would happen to my plan, my phone etc etc??

I only came here to see if I could find a fix for a problem with my iphone!

Maddogcollins let me know how you get on, as they told me also to go to the shop I just haven't got the chance yet.

• Advertisement

Right, bare with me for being completly thick here, I've just never really understood contracts and that...I'm one of these people who just says "yes" in the shop :rolleyes: And I don't really want to go searching through all these pages, but what exactly would it mean if I rang up and told them to cancel my contract because of this? I'm probably about 6 months or so into a 24 month contract...so what would happen to my plan, my phone etc etc??

I only came here to see if I could find a fix for a problem with my iphone!

Basically o2 are changing some of there call charges and as for this they are in breach of there own terms therefore you have to contact them and tell them you don't agree to these changes and they have to remove you, without penalty, from your contract. If you don't do this before 12th July your silence is you agreeing to these changes. As far as I'm aware this is only on the o2 advance plans, not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

It's on ALL plans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Once you cancel your contract, how do you go about getting them to unlock your phone?

I understand where your coming from, but as a new bill pay customer I reviewed the price plans and nowhere in there did it give any info about price increases it gave the old/ existing prices this is where I have the problem.

well if it was the old plans you reviewed and they didn't mention a price increase and got you to sign up based on old plans then you might have a case. how you would prove you didn't know about it might be the tough bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

as I said earlier the carphone warehouse magazine only quotes the new charges and interestingly I've just been on the o2 website and their offers for New customers are quoting old prices. Ie 20c per call out of bundle and 10c a text out of bundle. I know the change happens July 12th but surely there should be reference to it on the pages that indicate new customer offers???? I know they have it buried somewhere on the site but if I was a new customer to o2 I would only go by the info on their price plan page!!!!
    Do they sign people up to bill pay online and would this e an oppertunity for a quick sign up then cancel scenario. Ive already cancelled mine but might interest others. By the way they offered to unlock me in answer to earlier posters question.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Once you cancel your contract, how do you go about getting them to unlock your phone?

You can request an unlock code almost immediately on the o2 forum, however you have to be a member of the forum and also a member on o2.ie. if your speakeasy you have to used at least €150 creddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,159 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

6 months or so into a 24 month contract..

Are you in the UK? Nobody is selling 24mt contract in Ireland or are they?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I got the call back and successfully cancelled but I forgot to ask for written confirmation. Should I have?

I got the call back and successfully cancelled but I forgot to ask for written confirmation. Should I have?
    They sent me a text message confirming my release, that would be good enough. I now have it saved on my PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I didn't get any sort of confirmation when I cancelled it last week. Is there somewhere I can make sure I am out of contract. Is it visible on the O2 site anywhere, or should I give them a call again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement