Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

whiterebel wrote: »
    That is standard anyway.
    Bit like the uninvited phone calls: "Just going through your account to see if you are on the right tariff.....".
    "No, this is your annual call to try and screw me into signing on for another 12 month contract, by PRETENDING to give a s**t whether the contract is right for me or not......hello......... hello?":D

Yeah! I know but it came up when I was clarifying that I could stay on my present tariff and on the network until I decided to upgrade or move to another network. Decisions, decisions - oh the joys of being contract free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ok I just rang and they're pulling the dirty trick of using people with broken English to field calls. Couldn't make out most of it but think I was told I couldn't continue on with my current plan. Had to say I'd call back as it was getting embarrassing for both of us. Why do I feel like I've missed the boat on this one? Would like to be out of contract but am happy with my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

Nnngh. Twice now they've told me they'd call me back tomorrow, because there's a different department that is dealing with it. Am I screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

They released me from contract and I'm still with them on the same plan but just out of contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just gave them a call. They're going to get someone to call me back tomorrow to discuss it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Rang them twice...I've been told that I'll get a callback tomorrow.

Is there a deadline tonight as to when I can revoke the contract or should I be ok tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sheehanpaul

cookie1977 wrote: »
    They released me from contract and I'm still with them on the same plan but just out of contract

Gonna be pushing for same when "the supervisor" calls me back. They can talk all the crap they want, change T&C = breach contract = right to exit without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just quote Regulation 17 lads, if they hear that, they cant but not pull your contract if thats what you require,
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities regulations 2003

operator shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service

]their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

jamieh wrote: »
    Rang them twice...I've been told that I'll get a callback tomorrow.

Is there a deadline tonight as to when I can revoke the contract or should I be ok tomorrow?

The notice on their website is a month beforehand to give people time to opt-out. I'd say you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Right i've been told im free to port in 30 days.......effective 30 days notice ???

Roll on iphone 4 on Vodafone !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

If you were to try sign up for a new contract then cancel under regulation 17 an hour later it will hardly work as you will of signed up to a contract under the new terms.

Can someone tell me this please as i havn't seen it answered here. Can i exercise this right as i am on an O2 Clear price plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

but the new terms dont come in until 12th july, so my theory is that if i sign up today with a contract, that will be changed on 12th july - and thats where i ring up and get it cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

z_topaz wrote: »
    Ok I just rang and they're pulling the dirty trick of using people with broken English to field calls. Couldn't make out most of it but think I was told I couldn't continue on with my current plan. Had to say I'd call back as it was getting embarrassing for both of us. Why do I feel like I've missed the boat on this one? Would like to be out of contract but am happy with my plan.

lol at this, the call centre is in Limerick and the majority of people working there are Irish, theres no way of screening calls to make sure people with broken english answer them, conspiracy fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Hi guys,

Going to ring 02 in a few, ive an iphone but my parents are on the 02 release edge plan and want out...will they be able to get out of contract too?

Best thread ever if it works for us....HATE 02! no signal in my area...nightmare! Especially for my dad who works from home! Were dying to move back to Vodafone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

big_moe wrote: »
    but the new terms dont come in until 12th july, so my theory is that if i sign up today with a contract, that will be changed on 12th july - and thats where i ring up and get it cancelled

That's just a stupid theory. All new connections from 12th June are subject to the new charges as they are publicly available. You can't sign up tomorrow and cancel without penalties on the 12th.

chrislad wrote: »
    That's just a stupid theory. All new connections from 12th June are subject to the new charges as they are publicly available. You can't sign up tomorrow and cancel without penalties on the 12th.
    Exactly. Now someone tell me do these changes apply to Clear price plans and can i cancel my contract under reg 17 :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Not sure why I was put on for a call back tomorrow and not just let out of contract like most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Monkaa wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Going to ring 02 in a few, ive an iphone but my parents are on the 02 release edge plan and want out...will they be able to get out of contract too?

Best thread ever if it works for us....HATE 02! no signal in my area...nightmare! Especially for my dad who works from home! Were dying to move back to Vodafone!

hi i have phones on release EDGE plan and i confirmed today with O2 that i can get out without penalty, and have email stating same.

ingen wrote: »
    hi i have phones on release EDGE plan and i confirmed today with O2 that i can get out without penalty, and have email stating same.

thank you! :)

Ok I am just off the phone to them now and clarified a couple of things that the girl said she has answers for on an email right in front of her which i asked to be forwarded on to me.

Basically any customer can cancel their contract and penalty fee will be wavered when you move off the network. You then cannot come back to the network for 3 months. When you call up to tell them your doing this you have 30 days to leave the network. You cannot continue to use O2's services after you disagree to the new terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm out of contract and due an upgrade in August with my C905. Will likely be staying with 02 but will cancelling the contract now really give me that much more bargaining power in terms of the upgrade I get?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Apparently the team who are dealing with this are only there during business hours. Expecting a call from one of them tomorrow. Thanks OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Megfudge

Ok I am just off the phone to them now and clarified a couple of things that the girl said she has answers for on an email right in front of her which i asked to be forwarded on to me.

Basically any customer can cancel their contract and penalty fee will be wavered when you move off the network. You then cannot come back to the network for 3 months. When you call up to tell them your doing this you have 30 days to leave the network. You cannot continue to use O2's services after you disagree to the new terms.

Surely not being able to use O2 for 3 months is a penalty....depending how you view their network

well how has everyone rang up today, cancelled their contracts and are still with 02 and were not told they had 30 days to leave...sounds like 02 are changing their story by the minute

If you are in effect 'forced' or given no option but to leave the network as a result of invoking the terms of reg 17 that constitutes a penalty - you are entitled to be released from your contract Without Penalty!

Fionagus wrote: »
    If you are in effect 'forced' or given no option but to leave the network as a result of invoking the terms of reg 17 that constitutes a penalty - you are entitled to be released from your contract Without Penalty!
    Yes i would of assumed so but think about it. Your refusing to agree to accepting their new terms so therefore why would you continue to use the service if your against them. It makes no financial sense for them to force you off the network but that seems to be the case according to a few other posters especially on the O2 forum. Effectively i am released from my contract as of now but maybe the other part has no been explained to everyone and if they then continue to use the network after July 12th they are effectively accepting it.

Maybe this needs some proper clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes i would of assumed so but think about it. Your refusing to agree to accepting their new terms so therefore why would you continue to use the service if your against them. It makes no financial sense for them to force you off the network but that seems to be the case according to a few other posters especially on the O2 forum. Effectively i am released from my contract as of now but maybe the other part has no been explained to everyone and if they then continue to use the network after July 12th they are effectively accepting it.

Those people that were told they were released from the contract and are continuing on a month to month basis have been had by o2. Once July 12 comes and they keep using o2 they are deemed to have accepted the changes and are therefore locked in.

O2 are being very cute.

The customer care rep I spoke to said I could continue, out of contract, on my current tariff until I either upgraded or moved to a different network

Haddockman wrote: »
    Those people that were told they were released from the contract and are continuing on a month to month basis have been had by o2. Once July 12 comes and they keep using o2 they are deemed to have accepted the changes and are therefore locked in.

O2 are being very cute.

they are locked back into their contract they just cancelled? so as from July 12th they will be back in contract again....thats very sneaky especially if they dont plan telling you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

People will need to leave o2 to be absolutely sure of their position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement