Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Monkaa wrote: »
    they are locked back into their contract they just cancelled? so as from July 12th they will be back in contract again....thats very sneaky especially if they dont plan telling you

Look if you've been released from contract and are still with O2 they cant sign you back into a contract without your permission. I dont think Haddock is correct on this at all. I have an email saying I'm now out of contract from O2. So as I said unless I sign or verbally agree to a new contract they cant put you into one on the 12th. The 12th deadline only relates to the expiry time for when you can decline to stay in contract under the new conditions. That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Haddockman wrote: »
    People will need to leave o2 to be absolutely sure of their position.

so go pre pay ?

Fingers crossed i4 will be out by then and its will be all simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

TskTsk wrote: »
    Apparently the team who are dealing with this are only there during business hours. Expecting a call from one of them tomorrow. Thanks OP!

got the same info from customer care now, looks like they'll stop this one pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

thats what I planned doing anyway but was going to wait for the iphone 4 to come out and go to vodafone but ill leave 02 tomorrow if I have to...im sick of being cut off every day during calls and no one being able to get through to me in my own house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

krudler wrote: »
    lol at this, the call centre is in Limerick and the majority of people working there are Irish, theres no way of screening calls to make sure people with broken english answer them, conspiracy fail.

Well if English was this one's first language she was pretending it wasn't. Could not understand what she was saying in answer to very simple questions.

• Advertisement

Monkaa wrote: »
    thats what I planned doing anyway but was going to wait for the iphone 4 to come out and go to vodafone but ill leave 02 tomorrow if I have to...im sick of being cut off every day during calls and no one being able to get through to me in my own house

I have to wait for my unlock code i requested last week !

z_topaz wrote: »
    Well if English was this one's first language she was pretending it wasn't. Could not understand what she was saying in answer to very simple questions.

Limerick was mentioned:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Just rang and the recorded message said due to the high volume of calls waiting time to speak to a customer service rep exceeds 5 minutes so try again later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nikkiplc2001

ok guys i have read through all the pages, but i am still unsure, i have a nokia 51800 and i am under contract with o2 until December, just wondering if i would be able to get out of this contract and then sign a new contract for an iphone, any help would be greatful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Does it allow you stay on the line or does it simply cut you off?

• Advertisement

ok guys i have read through all the pages, but i am still unsure, i have a nokia 51800 and i am under contract with o2 until December, just wondering if i would be able to get out of this contract and then sign a new contract for an iphone, any help would be greatful.
    You would need to get out the contract, port away and then port back to get the iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DarrenB900

Does this only apply to Irish customers or does it affect customers throughout the UK?

You would need to get out the contract, port away and then port back to get the iphone.

Couple of things. You need to have left O2 completely (i.e. another network.)for 90 days to be classed as a new customer. Also if you're released from contract but remain with O2 you might be able to sign a new contract for a new iphone when it's out but I doubt you'll get any discount on the device unless you're a big spender with O2 and maybe on a one to one basis they might do a deal with you then

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes, but you'll most likely have to leave the network and sign with either Vodafone or 3, who will also be getting the new iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Haddock is right. If you read their notice on their website they say if you continue to use the service after July 12 you are there by accepting the new terms.

To answer someone else's question about cancelling their contract then signing a new on the next day and getting an iPhone 4. Wont happen. They require you to go away for 3 months and come back in order to sign a new customer contract. If you were to stay on your original upgrade policy will remain in place. As i mentioned though it looks like you cannot stay on if you dont accept the new terms.

A bit of bargaining will be required on your part imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nikkiplc2001

ok so i can just leave o2 altogether and just go to vodafone, its a bit weird that they are just letting their customers walk away!!

Someone please tell me if I can do this in Scotland?!

Haddock is right. If you read their notice on their website they say if you continue to use the service after July 12 you are there by accepting the new terms.

To answer someone else's question about cancelling their contract then signing a new on the next day and getting an iPhone 4. Wont happen. They require you to go away for 3 months and come back in order to sign a new customer contract. If you were to stay on your original upgrade policy will remain in place. As i mentioned though it looks like you cannot stay on if you dont accept the new terms.

A bit of bargaining will be required on your part imo.

Haddock is incorrect. Staying with O2 after the 12th without notifying them of your rejection of their new T&C will result in you staying in contract. However if you're released from contract they will not force you off the network nor re contract you afterwards. As I stated I have an email saying I'm out of contract now. I have not been informed that if I stay beyond the 12 I'll be re contracted. Even if they wanted to they'd have to ask me to agree. The previous contract is null and void as they changed the T&C. If i upgrade or change plans then I have to re contract. Otherwise I'm on no contract even beyond the 12th

DarrenB900 wrote: »
    NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Those people that were told they were released from the contract and are continuing on a month to month basis have been had by o2. Once July 12 comes and they keep using o2 they are deemed to have accepted the changes and are therefore locked in.

O2 are being very cute.

The mods on the O2 forum have just confirmed that I am contract free and can stay on the network out of contract on my current tariff until I either upgrade or change network. They are confirming status on a case by case basis if anyone wants to check for themselves
    Many thanks again OP :D

• Advertisement

Fionagus wrote: »
    The mods on the O2 forum have just confirmed that I am contract free and can stay on the network out of contract on my current tariff until I either upgrade or change network. They are confirming status on a case by case basis if anyone wants to check for themselves

Thanks fionagus

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DarrenB900 wrote: »

:confused: How would we know in Ireland what they do in Scotland?

Fionagus wrote: »
    Can you link me to the forum where i can make the same arrangement as the girl on the phone was adamant i need to port away from the network.

Its turning into a who's right and who's wrong competition here when we all have the one thing in common. Throwing two fingers in the face of O2 :D

Can you link me to the forum where i can make the same arrangement as the girl on the phone was adamant i need to port away from the network.

Its turning into a who's right and who's wrong competition here when we all have the one thing in common. Throwing two fingers in the face of O2 :D

http://forums.o2online.ie

It's shut from 9pm tonight until about 8.30am tomorrow so you cant post but you can read posts. To be honest people calling and speaking to O2 are all being told different things. They're trying to confuse the situation. I think they just weren't expecting nor were ready for this. Cheers OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

I note that the change in terms and conditions are dated June 1st 2010... I'm a bit puzzled by this term
    We will notify you of changes in our price plans (including the price plan applicable to you) and of offers and terms introduced by us, by notice to you at either your billing address or email address or by advertisements in the national press. Every invoice and notice from us to you will be deemed served 48 hours after posting or on earlier proof of delivery; every change in price plans and every offer and term will be deemed notified to you at close of business on the first day on which it is advertised in the national press or made available on www.o2.ie.

In the first instance it states that you have to be notified at your billing address etc but then it states that you are deemed notified when it is published in the national press OR www.o2.ie!! in other words if you never go to www.o2.ie you would never know about it but you are deemed to have been notified!! Do o2 read their own terms and conditions? has anyone seen this in the national press?

whiterebel wrote: »
    :confused: How would we know in Ireland what they do in Scotland?
    This is the only website with information about this so I had nowhere else to ask. I never realised this was an Irish website as I never looked at the web address, because the link was shortened.

The reason some people are being released from contract but must leave contract and some can stay on is because in 'Paddy', the mod on the O2 forum, words they are dealing with it on idividual cases. You must request a call back to see where you stand on this.

As there is no set criteria they havn't a leg to stand on if they think they can just pick and choose who gets what privilages and who doesn't!!

The revolution starts here everyone. Time for O2 to change all its policies or its the customers turn to screw them. I must say this could not have come at a better time for me as i have an ongoing issue with them.

Alrite Chief 1-0 02

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

I spoke to them and basically you can get out of contract BUT they don't want to lose you, so are offering special deals to people to stay on a new contract.. all sorts of extras, however the senior team that are allowed to give you these extras only work core business hours. So best bet is to ring up or go to their forum and give details and someone will call you tomorrow and you can make a decision based on what they offer you. and you can stay on network out of contract no problem .. So Ill see what they offer, I have two iPhones anyway and one is with Voda.. grass isn't always greener folks believe me ..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

ive been on hold for over 15 minutes at this stage! Should I give up and ring in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Those people that were told they were released from the contract and are continuing on a month to month basis have been had by o2. Once July 12 comes and they keep using o2 they are deemed to have accepted the changes and are therefore locked in.

O2 are being very cute.
    No they have agreed to the new pricing, but the contract will be open so if you want you can leave. if people don't contact o2 now and wait until 12th passes, they will have by default accepted the new prices and still be tied to the remainer of their contract.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement