Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike won't start..

• 16-06-2010 11:25am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 2005 Ducati Monster 620 won't start. It has less than 7000 miles on it and it had it's 6000 mile service just a few months ago. It's been running great but a while ago I had a small problem: When I put the key in and turn it to the On position, the oil light would illuminate just slightly. It was not "On" and bright, but you could see it was slightly lit up. When I started the engine it went off again. The oil level was fine, in the middle, but I topped it up anyway. It happened a few more times but was fine after that.

However, the other day I went to ride my bike to work, and it would not start. I push the starter and it will turn over it will just not kick in. I tried again and this time, when i took my thumb off the starter button, it continued to turn over, I had to switch the engine off. When I turned the keys again I got the yellow warning light and the oil light.

I left it and tried it twice more the next day but it still will not start. I'm so broke I cannot afford to get a ducati garage to look at it until next week, but I'm wondering does this ring any bells with someone, is there something I could check? Its kinda strange for this to happen out of the blue so soon after a full service!

One mate suggested it is prob an electrical issue, some water etc migth have got into a loom or soemthing, but it is garaged at night and its been dry every day I was riding it up until it died...

Is there anything I should be trying?

Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Does it have oil?

When where the plugs last changed? get yerself a plug socket and check them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Whip out a plug and see if it's getting a spark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

Sounds like a low battery charge, try charging it.
    Also, the regulator/rectifier could be blown, fix is to replace the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Don't mean to thread-jack, but I had a similar thing happen my bike on Saturday. I was out for a spin and decided to drop into BikeWorld to have a look at their expensive items. Came out, bike fired up grand.

Came to the lights at the Long Mile/N7 intersection, tried to take off and she stalled. Embarrassed, I tried to restart (thinking I'd dumped the clutch to quickly or had't given it enough revs). The oil light and neutral light were really dim. I always switch off my headlight to start (just something I've done from when I've had my first bike).

Anyway, long story shortened slightly, I pushed the bike back up to BikeWorld and bought one of their expensive batteries. (€100 for a YTF9-BS:eek:). Fitted it roadside and fired her up. Problem solved. Charged it up fully when I got home that evening.

You could try charging the battery, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

Al.

alanmc wrote: »
    Don't mean to thread-jack, but I had a similar thing happen my bike on Saturday. I was out for a spin and decided to drop into BikeWorld to have a look at their expensive items. Came out, bike fired up grand.

Came to the lights at the Long Mile/N7 intersection, tried to take off and she stalled. Embarrassed, I tried to restart (thinking I'd dumped the clutch to quickly or had't given it enough revs). The oil light and neutral light were really dim. I always switch off my headlight to start (just something I've done from when I've had my first bike).

Anyway, long story shortened slightly, I pushed the bike back up to BikeWorld and bought one of their expensive batteries. (€100 for a YTF9-BS:eek:). Fitted it roadside and fired her up. Problem solved. Charged it up fully when I got home that evening.

You could try charging the battery, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

Al.

Same battery €45 in Cotters ;)

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Same battery €45 in Cotters ;)

Next time I'll push it to Cotters. :P

Next time I'll push it to Cotters. :P

:D

Could you not just push start it?

Mine push started no bother when the battery died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Check the wiring connections for bad contacts.
    Check that there is nothing touching off wires,and that they are insulated proper.
    It would be handy if you had a 12v tester.

:D

Could you not just push start it?

Mine push started no bother when the battery died.

First thing I tried. Wouldn't fire up at all. I'm guessing there wasn't enough juice to produce a spark.

I tested the charging circuit (with a multimeter - very useful tool to have in your armoury) when I got home as well. I was getting 14.2 V at 6k rpm which is about right, so the charging was ok. I guess the old battery just wasn't holding the charge.

Yea if you're in need of a multimeter gimme a shout Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks lads. I'll try push starting it but I doubt its the battery. I had been on the bike to and from work the previous 2 days, its unlikely it would just loose charge so quick. If I had of left a light on it would be flat. Plus I replaced the battery less than 6 months ago.

Thanks Kamikazi I might take u up on that multimeter.

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks Kamikazi I might take u up on that multimeter.

Yea sure gimme a should whenever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

push start would be the thing to do alright - certainly sounds like a battery issue to me...

though heard reports of some dodgy wiring on the 620's unfort

Any update on this Zascar? Did you get it running yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I had elec/wiring problems a few months ago, would randomly just not start, was so annoying. I'm too busy right now and I'm away next week so it will be next weekend by the time I get to look at it. Thanks for the help though guys I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A thread hijack by me too.:o

Is it possible to jump start a scooter? My Xmax 125 has had it's battery drained completely for some reason and i've no charger. Just thought i'd throw the query out there. And before any smart alec says try it yourself,it's 19 degrees and roasting out and don't want to go running down the road pushing 150-odd kilo of bike for nothing!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

lord lucan wrote: »
    A thread hijack by me too.:o

Is it possible to jump start a scooter? My Xmax 125 has had it's battery drained completely for some reason and i've no charger. Just thought i'd throw the query out there. And before any smart alec says try it yourself,it's 19 degrees and roasting out and don't want to go running down the road pushing 150-odd kilo of bike for nothing!:pac:

They are automatic aren't they yea? If so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They are automatic aren't they yea? If so no.

That's exactly what i thought,no point in running up and down the road like a looper trying to start it if it ain't gonna happen. I should have actually said push start but you knew what i meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..I've noticed myself that, maybe it's the weather, or too much use, or what, but electrolyte seems to be evaporating on some of mine.....so, did you check fluid level in your battery ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It could be your regulatar/rectifier, even though you are getting approx 14v while bike is running, when the reg/rec heats up it will not work proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It could be your regulatar/rectifier, even though you are getting approx 14v while bike is running, when the reg/rec heats up it will not work proper.

You're right, it could: but check the cheap stuff, first !

My Aprilia is on it's 3rd Ducati-badged reg/rect, btw.................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

How would you test for this? Would going out for a good spin, bring the bike back warm/hot, checking the voltage at the specified rpm, show this up?

How would you test for this? Would going out for a good spin, bring the bike back warm/hot, checking the voltage at the specified rpm, show this up?

Bike putting out over 13V @ 3k RPM or so with full lights on means rec/reg should be OK AFAIK.

Bike putting out over 13V @ 3k RPM or so with full lights on means rec/reg should be OK AFAIK.

Yeah, I checked this, and indeed all is well. But LookBehindYou's last post made me think. Maybe the Rectifier is working normally when it's cold. When it gets hot it malfunctions and fails to charge up the battery.

I'll investigate more after my next spin.:)

Yeah, I checked this, and indeed all is well. But LookBehindYou's last post made me think. Maybe the Rectifier is working normally when it's cold. When it gets hot it malfunctions and fails to charge up the battery.

I'll investigate more after my next spin.:)

That was the problem with my Blackbird, Hornet,and 600rr. They all showed ok when cold but when reg/rec warmed up the problem showed up.
    I do all my own maintenance on my bikes.

That was the problem with my Blackbird, Hornet,and 600rr. They all showed ok when cold but when reg/rec warmed up the problem showed up.
    I do all my own maintenance on my bikes.

Honda reg/recs are notoriously bad anyway.

Honda reg/recs are notoriously bad anyway.

How about Suzuki ones?

I was putting the failure of my old battery down to the bad weather we had last Dec/Jan.

Got the bike fixed. In the end it was a problem with the relay's - apparently the fuel pump was not getting power, makes sense. Bert from http://www.ducatiserviceireland.com does all the work on my bike - he said its a common problem. Apparently Ducati are known for skimping on silly little cheap parts like this and they have a tendency to fail.

So much of me says I should have bought a Honda or Suzuki, or at least I should for my next bike, but I don't think I can bring myself to change...

Advertisement